Favorite High School Player?

andykellysfan

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah ... MLReb ... nice additions.

Remember when Sattefield got embarrassed against Randy White in some bowl game U.T. vs Maryland?

Davis' ... Sr. definitely gets nod as greatest ... Jr. wasn't too shabby either.'

Lots of Everett names come to mind to me ... Maples, Kenney, Nick, Mark Stinnett, "Super" ...

Here's a good one for you ... Shawn Ammons ... great receiver at Friendsville in the 70's ... and local dentist, Darrell Clabough at QB for the Falcons.

Here's a Maryville name to chew on ... how about Willy Nelson???

Oh yeah ... MLReb ... nice additions.

Remember when Sattefield got embarrassed against Randy White in some bowl game U.T. vs Maryland?

Davis' ... Sr. definitely gets nod as greatest ... Jr. wasn't too shabby either.'

Lots of Everett names come to mind to me ... Maples, Kenney, Nick, Mark Stinnett, "Super" ...

Here's a good one for you ... Shawn Ammons ... great receiver at Friendsville in the 70's ... and local dentist, Darrell Clabough at QB for the Falcons.

Here's a Maryville name to chew on ... how about Willy Nelson???

Oh, and by the way.. Willie Nelson was from Texas too. No joke. Great memory there Govman. Let`s not forget Troy "the tank" Bowman of the 1970 championship team. Weren`t the Brackett boys twins? Mike Cofer at Rule High was one of the best I ever saw play. Loudon had some great ones too.

I should probably say my 2002 senior Franklin Rebels... but, I'm going to go with the name that came to mind first. That'd be Brentwood Academy's/Vanderbilt's Benji Walker. A pretty darn good player (should be starting!) and a great guy. Very classy, humble, all the great things you look for in a talented player both on and off the field. I was always impressed watching him play.

That's the name that came to my mind too. The first year I started going to BA football games when my now 11th grade son started there in sixth grade, you couldn't help but notice Benji on the field. Starting QB, starting free safety, and punt returner. Great at all. Could also have made a bunch of money playing baseball, and a really good basketball player too. It is really too bad he got jobbed at Vandy. Timing is everything.

I have to say my favorite player to watch was current Rockwood head coach John Webb.

He was that kind of guy who never left the field, from busting the wedge on kickoffs to grinding out the tough yardage, Webb was a gamer. I guarantee you if the man was a couple of inches taller (which I think scouts and coaches really missed a diamond in the rough when the big schools passed over him), he would have been D I easy.

A tenacious linebacker and just a guy you couldn't knock out of a game. Now don't think this is some kind of kiss-up job, me and Webb have butted heads in the past. But I will never ever question what kind of player the man was. He had the heart of a lion.

He wound up being a real player at Tech and I am pretty sure was a captain his senior season. Great player, the true football fans on this board would grin from ear to ear if they ever saw him play.

Edited by TankTalk

Hey boyz!

I don't know how I missed this post.

Mike "Stop" Cofer was a great playa!

Leroy Thompson

William Joey Clinkscales and of course the McKenzie's...Reginald and Raleigh!

Those playaz were electrifying!

What I remember about Mike Cofer other than that fabulous physique...was that he hurt my boyfriend then, Steve Jacobs in a basketball game at the old Jaycee Christmas Tournament at Heritage one year.

The picture came out in the "Daily MisPrint" and it looked like Cofer had tree limbs for arms. Steve looked stunned to say the least and my ex-boyfriend, then sports editor...Gary (can't remember his last name) had a great article on the play of Cofer.

Love you boyz!

:D

I didn't realize that they had the internet at the old folks home. I have seen a lot of posts like this one, and nobody has ever said anything about any of the Uptons from Sweetwater or Sterling Davis from Sweetwater. I am not a sweetwater fan, but played against these guys and thought that they were pretty good. The greatest player I played against though was Jermain Copeland.