The best game in the last 15 years

KarlChilders

Knoxville Central vs. Oak Ridge. 1991. Todd Helton was the QB for Central. Shawn Summers was the RB for Oak Ridge. Both players went on to be teammates at UT. Both teams had several D-1 players. The game went into at least 2 OT's, maybe 3 OT's. Not positive on that, but suffice to say it was one of the best games ever played in East TN.

Edited by KarlChilders

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen my share of unbelievable playoff games. Bishop Byrne's 1975 overtime victory over Huntingdon where the game was decided by a mouthpiece violation during a two-point conversion comes to mind. Martin-Westview's 10-6 victory over Springfield in 1989 where Darryl Gardner streaks about 80 yards for a touchdown on a counter crisscross play....or Dyersburg's 21-17 victory at Jackson-North Side in 1998, where Hunter Hart found Thomas Harris in the back corner of the end zone for the game winning score with 7.6 seconds remaining in the game....or Martin-Westview's 50-25 shelling at David Lipscomb in 1993 where Chris Hogard was a menace in the second half. Those games raised some eyebrows...

But if you want to talk about great playoff games, pick any of the three McKenzie playoff games from 2002. In the first round at Waverly, McKenzie trailed 17-0 at half, but roared back to knot the score on a 23-yard John Kermit Laughery field goal with under a minute to play. Then, in overtime, McKenzie's Cody Cook decided to end it with his TD run, which led to McKenzie's next battle with Fairview. McKenzie trailed 8-0 but tied the game and sent it to OT. Fairview scored on its first possession, but missed the PAT. Facing a third-and-22, Drew Hayes hit Matt Jones for the game-tying score. Then Laughery booted the PAT to win it...which led to the McKenzie-Lewis County game. The Rebels trailed 13-7 with 3:37 to play and had to go 87 yards for the score in that time. Hayes led the Rebels downfield and hooked up with Jay Taylor for the game-tying score with :23 to play and Laughery's PAT gave the Rebels the lead. Then, on the ensuing kickoff, McKenzie trapped the Panther return man in the end zone for the safety. It was perhaps the greatest high school game I've ever seen.

Edited by JPSartre

A lot of people told me that the Central vs Oak Ridge game in 91 was the best they have seen. I didn't see it.

Besides watching MHS win their championships, The best game I ever watched was the 1993 Brentwood Academy vs Cleveland 4A State Title game. Cleveland won 26-21. Both teams were awesome. The game went back and forth.

i was at the OAK RIDGE AND CENTRAL game in 1991 , to watch TODD HELTON , it was a great game , but the title game last year (MARYVILLE vs HILLSBORO ) was the best high school game I've ever been to . MARYVILLE was totally outmatched talent wise , and the comeback they had was amazing . in the first quarter i was just hoping not to get embarrased , but when they started to get things clicking , it was just magical . hehe , of course you would have to be a MARYVILLE fan to feel the same way .

Edited by pepvol

I would say the best game was between Northeast and Brentwood Academy in the 1995 QuarterFinals. Both teams were 12-0 going in. It was 3-0...Northeast on top with a couple seconds left to go before halftime. Brentwood Academy threw a hail- mary, but for some reason Northeast was called for interference. Ball on the 50 no time on the clock, they tried it again and Northeast's sophmore cornerback slipped allowing the Brentwood Academy receiver to get behind him and catch the hail-mary. Nobody scored in the second half. Brentwood Academy came out on top 7-3. There were several D-1 players between the two teams. Both offenses at that time were the two most high-powered in the state. What a game!!!

Knoxville Central vs. Oak Ridge. 1991. Todd Helton was the QB for Central. Shawn Summers was the RB for Oak Ridge. Both players went on to be teammates at UT. Both teams had several D-1 players. The game went into at least 2 OT's, maybe 3 OT's. Not positive on that, but suffice to say it was one of the best games ever played in East TN.

that has to be my pick. I don't remember how many overtimes it was either, but it ended 42-41 when Central got an extra point blocked.

The Central vs. Oak Ridge playoff game in 91 is the best high school game I have ever seen. Oak Ridge had a little better team,but Helton was unbelievable in that game.He just kept making play after play to keep Central in it. The second best was the 75 playoff game between Loudon and Maryville that went triple overtime.