PA announcers and bands playing?

flngrvy

Last night during a critical 4th and goal from the three, Mt. Juliet line up to kick a field goal which would have made it 7-3 at the time assuming the kick was good. As soon as the play unfolded, the PA announcer for Stratford yells "it's a fake". Needless to say we didn't execute the play and Stratford took over on downs. Is that legal? Just curious what the TSSAA ruling is on this. The PA guy at Lebanon literally does a play-by-play the entire game..same question. Also, what is the ruling, if any, on the opposing band playing while your team is on offense? Whites Creek did it the whole game and so did Stratfords. Is there a TSSAA ruling on this? Just curious. Not assigning blame here at all, just want to know the rule(s).

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest region4fan

Yeah, hated that guy at Lebanon. Can you sound even more country than him? They need to be on the radio or narrarating a highlight film. I like PA guys to just announce who made the tackle and what penalty is assessed. It is also nice to hear them announce the downs .

At DB, our band plays while our team is on offense. I have thought that it was the band just being arragent. But last night the Band did not show up( went to some band competition in Atl.) They had a tape of the band playing different songs, and played it over the loud speakers. While our team was on offense! Go Figure.

We're not real smart up here in East Tn.

The rule is a NFHS RULE and not a TSSAA rule but it does state that there will be no "unnecessary chatter" over the P.A. during "game play." I have asked several referees about this rule and they have told me that it is up to the visiting team to ask the referee to stop the "chatter." The way it is supposed to work is that the referee is supposed to stop game play, contact the GAME ADMINISTRATOR and have them warn the P.A. announcer not to play music or talk while the "BALL IS IN PLAY" (between the snap and the whistle). The problem is very few referees will do this and very few visiting coaches will ask for the call. A good band and home crowd can have the "desired effect" without the P.A. announcer becoming a part of the defense. They should keep their mouth shut until after the play, then recap what happened!

PA announcers that talk during the play either have no clue or are just in it to hear themselves talk. You are not supposed to talk during the play from the PA.

As for bands playing, the visiting coach must protest. Then the band will be made to stop. But that usually causes the crowd to get loud or louder.

Del.

From sitting in the stands at White House, I am proud to say we have one of the very best play-by-play anouncers in the state. He is very accurate, knowledgable and knows when to talk and when not to. From looking up, it appears he uses spotters and is very legitimate in his calls.

Also very humorous, but picks his spots and never seems to be inappropriate. Also very complimentary to the other team and includes them often in his announcements and humor (getting both sides to laugh).

My point is...he is professional.

Could it be that many announcers are so unprofessional and so unskilled they have no business in the box -- but because of power, position and fear no one will correct them? I would assume that many PA guys are school officials...and have so much pull or longevity, no one is willing to back them down....

PA announcers that talk during the play either have no clue or are just in it to hear themselves talk. You are not supposed to talk during the play from the PA.

As for bands playing, the visiting coach must protest. Then the band will be made to stop. But that usually causes the crowd to get loud or louder.

Del.

Speaking from nearly 25 years of experience, I agree with you Del. The best PA's are like good Ref's, hardly noticed and hard working. That my place the school and public serves announcements usually start around 6:15 PM and go steady until game time. After that I like to let the game speak for itself. Play-by-Play is unnecessary due to the fact that most that really want to hear it are listening to local radio anyway. You say the names correctly, try and get the tackles and yardage right and remember to turn the mike off when you scream at the Refs.

As for the band playing during a live ball, I think the TSSAA needs to rethink their position on this one. Although it does drown out some of the fans who heckle our coaches from time to time.