Best wrestling?

dblduce

For those Middle Tennessee Wrestling patrons who have bought into the myth that Middle Tennessee suffers a 2nd class competitive status within the Tennessee Wrestling Community, please review the above thread. It may give you a broader view of the State picture then you have accepted previously without challenge.

Edited by delaWarr

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DelaWarr, Here are couple more FYI's I've dug up:

Team State Championships since the first State Championship was awarded and I'm including both DI&DII in the Traditional Touranment and DI&DII, Large and Small divisions for the duals.

Traditional Tournament Team State Championships won:

Chattanooga/Cleveland area....................36

Nashville/Clarksville area.........................13

No Upper East or Memphis teams have won this tournament.........yet.

Dual Team State Championships won:

Chattanooga/Cleveland area....................20

Nashville/Clarksville area.........................10

No Upper East or Memphis teams have won this tournament.........yet.

I wonder if the Chattanooga teams/idivduals that don't make it to the State tournaments because they are beaten in the Region and District would not beat a lot of the teams/idividuals that do go to the tournaments for some of the areas that are not as strong? Could some of the 5th place guys beat qualifiers from other Regions consistently? If so, this could skew the data posted and make it a faulty way to try and make the point.

To be fair, this could also be true from any of the regions or districts, but mostly likey it applies to the Chattanooga area.

What does the historic spread of team dual and traditional state champions within an area look like without giving consideration to DI or DII classifications? From Chattanooga/Cleveland the winners have been Red Bank, East Ridge, Notre Dame, Baylor, McCallie, Bradley, Cleveland, Hixson, Chattanooga City, Chattanooga Central, Soddy Daisy or 11 schools representing 56 championships. From Nashville/Clarksville you have Father Ryan, Brentwood, Overton, Clarksville and Franklin or 5 schools representing 23 championships. If you pull Ryan out of the mix, you get 4 schools represeting 9 championships.

In the late 60's and 70's Ryan would show up at the state tournaments with their entire team intact as the result of nominal competition. Baylor and McCallie didn't join the TSSAA until the early 70's. Their addition to the state might have knocked out several Ryan wins in the 60's and 70's.

I say we double West Tn's quality points, because we only have one region. Anybody with me? No? Ok. How about give us the Clarksville area. No? Someone throw us a bone. The next 3 years will be the best wrestling the west has seen since I have been around the sport. A lot of people think that the Marables are the only two wrestlers in the West, but good coaching and school support will help us develop the quality competition that can be seen elsewhere in the state. See you guys at state.

Edited by best_of_the_west

Wow! That is great information to be shared and definately sheds new light on the mix. I agree with one of the comments by Texas in regard to regions with smaller number of schools and are there 5th place wrestlers from a region that could beat 1st - 4th place wrestlers from another region. I don't really understand how TSSAA organizes these regions, but it is strange coming in from another state to see 10-12 teams in one region and nearly 20 in another.

I don't think any one questions the quality of wrestlers produced in eastern TN. By having the middle & western regions of the state going head to head with the eastern regions that the entire state becomes better.

• 1 month later...

Mccallie, Baylor,Bradley, Soddy, Cleveland, Red Bank, East Ridge. All with in 30 miles of each other. Baylor, Red Bank, Soddy could all throw rocks at each other from where they are located. This is not an area it's a neighborhood. Could some one tell me or find out how many team and individual titles these schools have won according to TSSAA? The main thing is that wrestling continues to grow in TN. I hope. McMinn County is trying to start a kids club and I wish Polk County would also. Everybody should try and take someone to church and to a wrestling match. Good Luck everybody.

Edited by tophat

I really hate to give credit , but the Simpson Dunning connection has elevated Nashville to a level near Chattanooga. With the number of quality Kids coming out of the Franklin area with coaches such as Cash, Otto , and Pair I'm afraid it will only get worse. Good luck Nashville I hope you can get 2nd.

I have to go with Chatt/Cleve, maybe because there are more teams.

Don't forget how good wrestling has spilled over into North Georgia. But region 5 now has the most teams, but today we'd have to take the region champions of the 23 teams to strongly compete with the top five teams out of the Chattanooga area. Give us a few years and people will be complaining outside of our region that we have too many teams. The cream rises to the top.

soms

Edited by Sommers