An Alternate/Alternate Proposal

Baldcoach

How about this idea (not mine...given to me by a totally neutral party over lunch).

Since the debate seems to center around teams dominating let's address that issue for the whole State (public and private).

Any team that makes it to the quarter-finals or further for 4 out of 5 years will be required to move up 1 size category (unless already 5a).

Any team that is last in their region for 4 out of 5 years may move down one size category (unless already 1a).

Advantage 1) No (possibly illegal) forced seperation thus no lawsuits

Advantage 2) Everyone eventually reaches a level where they are competetive but not dominant

Advantage 3) No one can whine about how this or that school ALWAYS beats them and they never have a chance

Advantage 4) There is no Public/Private fight here...all teams are moved or not based solely on performance

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BC.....I suggested a long time ago a "merit" based system. Mine involves computer rankings. If college football can adopt a computer system then high school can as well. I`d propose to go back over the last ten years and rank teams according to their success and use that as a starting point. Put all teams back together. Every 3 or 4 years reclass everyone. Eventually all the good dominant teams will be in the highest class regardless of size or public/private. There is no reason for teams like Warren County to be playing in 5A.

The 5A chanpionship would be for the best of the best. The 1A would give the worst programs a legitimate chance to prove themselves.

The system would be a radical change, but it could work.

How about this idea (not mine...given to me by a totally neutral party over lunch).

Since the debate seems to center around teams dominating let's address that issue for the whole State (public and private).

Any team that makes it to the quarter-finals or further for 4 out of 5 years will be required to move up 1 size category (unless already 5a).

Any team that is last in their region for 4 out of 5 years may move down one size category (unless already 1a).

Advantage 1) No (possibly illegal) forced seperation thus no lawsuits

Advantage 2) Everyone eventually reaches a level where they are competetive but not dominant

Advantage 3) No one can whine about how this or that school ALWAYS beats them and they never have a chance

Advantage 4) There is no Public/Private fight here...all teams are moved or not based solely on performance

COMPLETE AND TOTAL SEPARATION IS THE ONLY SOLUTION!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU PRIVATE SCHOOLS CAN'T HAVE YOUR CAKE AND EAT IT TOO.

Bill 73

Why? Why would this system not work? Can you give us a reason? Did you even think about it? Or did you just go on auto pilot with the "privates must go" speech?

I don't have to think about it!!!!!!! Look at the proof. The privates got tired of getting their brains beat out by the public schools so what did you all start doing. Instead of just letting the "brainy nerds" come to your schools now you say OK can you play a little ball to help out our teams. The ones who have a little more athletic ability get first crack at admissions. You can say yes we will take you or no you don't meet our qualifications. Public schools can't do this. We take who comes to our front door. You pick and choose your kids. How can you say this is not an advantage that only the private schools have. If you are accepted at the private school of course you are a little bit more motivated than the average public school kid. Mom, dad or booster is footing a bill to send me to school. I will bust my behind to make them proud, especially that booster.

Brentwood Academy a few years back decided they had had enough of the talk. What did they do? Moved to the highest level of high school sports - 5A. What did they do after that? Didn't miss a beat Clinic Bowl, Clinic Bowl, Clinic Bowl. This is a school with about 300 kids in it competing against schools with over 2000. Of course you private schools don't think for a minute this is way out of line.

If the TSSAA adopts a multiplier for you guys they are passing the buck to the 3A and 4A classes that will be dominated by the privates just like 1A and 2A now. If I am competing against a school like Riverdale, Greenbrier, Austin-East, Sequatchie County or South Pittsburg and I get beat at least I know that their kids grew up together and live in the same general area and I can live with that. We played a private schools several moons ago and they had more out of state tags on cars then we see when we go to Six Flags in Atlanta. It was unbelievable.

So no it is not my "private must go" speech that I so often say on here. But believe me I hope in the December meeting the public schools say to all the private schools, "DON'T LET THE DOOR HIT YOU WHERE THE GOOD LORD SPLIT YOU" as your walking out the door!!!!!!!! :D

VG,

I not only takes effort but also a little intelligence for someone to make a well thought out post!!!!!!!!!! The two of us also know that with the FTC in the picture we have no clue as to where this public private issue will end up. My opinion is that a multiplier or merit based system will be used and all schools will be placed back together. The multiplier or merit system may be the only solutions that get the federal government out of the picture and is a happy medium for both the public schools and private schools.

VG,

I not only takes effort but also a little intelligence for someone to make a well thought out post!!!!!!!!!! The two of us also know that with the FTC in the picture we have no clue as to where this public private issue will end up. My opinion is that a multiplier or merit based system will be used and all schools will be placed back together. The multiplier or merit system may be the only solutions that get the federal government out of the picture and is a happy medium for both the public schools and private schools.

Well, when they put us all back together ALL PUBLIC SCHOOLS SHOULD SIMPLY LEAVE THE TSSAA AND FORM A COMPLETELY NEW ORGANIZATION. One way or the other, either the private schools leave the current system or we start another.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!!!!!

Bill,

Did you know that all caps for multiple words = shouting on a board? Is shouting a lot part of your regular communication technique? Perhaps you have a short in your keyboard?

I have nothing against the Public Schools. Why are you so violently opposed to playing in the same league with privates IF any teams that dominate will be moved up until they can't dominate anymore?

VG,

Personally I am wary of any computer system. Having programmed for a couple of years I know how easy it is to make something look good but really spit out what is wanted by the programmer. Personally I like things simple as long as they are equitable.

'Course I would certainly take a BCS type system(or even a multiplier) over a forced split...at least with a BCS type system everyone is in the same boat.

Bill,

Is class envy a Tennessee thing or what? Again, I will say this until someone refutes me with the facts: Tennessee is the only state that seperates Publics and Privates simply because of the perception that publics are at a competive disadvantage. I say put em back together and let competition raise the level of play in this state. We need to purge this inferiority complex.

I am going to say this so that everyone can understand:

Privates don't recruit....

Id know i went to one......

Its illegal........

Only Div II schools give financial aid...THATS WHY THEY ARE THERE

Publics are simply tired of getting their butts beat on by superior private schools who take time to work harder, coach better, and be more dedicated.

And bill#73, you are a fool. You are just who i am talking about. Private schools care about academics more than athletics. They take who pays the tuission not who is the best athlete.

Take 1A as an example: CPA, DCA, FRA, their starters have been at their school since middle school AT LATEST. They didn't check their kindergarteners for athletic ability. NO. You are just a sore loser. And like I said, if the privates get their own division, FINE. We won't have to worry about hurting your feelings after our latest bashing of you.

:lol::P:(