Blue Cross Bowl Predictions

TedLNancy

I noticed in a Jackson Sun article on the Great Divide, that one administrator pointed out that the amount of asphalt on a campus gives a school an advantage.

With that in mind, here are my predictions:

Class 1A:

Boyd has a lot of swampy land around campus. I would think a lot of it is on a flood plain. For that reason DCA gets the pavement nod for this game.

Class 2A:

Lipscomb's asphalt is deceptive. Much of the asphalt is actually the property of the University and the Granny White Church of Christ. Highway 70 goes through Huntingdon. (Highway 70 is the "route 66" of the volunteer state. It goes by some storied stadiums in Brownsville, Milan, HUNTINGDON, Waverly, Dickson, Carthage, ...as it stretches from Memphis to Newport.) I'm going to have to give the asphalt edge to Huntingdon.

Class 3A:

Covington has 4 lane highway 51 running right through the edge of town. While that is impressive, there is more asphalt in Knoxville than all of Tipton County. Only Craig's Bar-B-Q could save the Chargers. They better load up on a shoulder before the game. Asphalt edge goes to Fulton.

Class 4A

No contest here Morristown West fans. The Green Hills Mall is right across Hillsboro Road from the Burro's campus. There might be enough asphalt around that that mall to pave Hamblen County 2 inches deep. Asphalt edge favors Hillsboro.

Class 5A:

Riverdale is close to 2 interstates-I-24 and I- 840. That is a lot of asphalt. Germantown is farther from the interstate, but they have a hidden weapon-aggregate concrete in many driveways. Anybody who has ever had a bike wreck can tell you that aggregate is much tougher on your knees than asphalt. Therefore, aggregrate concrete trumps asphalt and Germantown gets the nod in the 5A game.

Well see this weekend how big of an impact the pavement really has on the success of the teams! Perhaps TDOT could take over the naming rights from Blue Cross.

If this really works, I am going to research college campus asphalt conditions. I might head to Vegas and get rich picking the bowl games.

Don't tell anyone my little secret.

Edited by TedLNancy

Good point about the driveways in Germantown. And really can't count our Interstates here in the Boro - although I-24 runs pretty close to the Reservation....

But I think another poster on another thread covered this matchup well. She complained that the venue at MTSU is bad because you have to drive at least 4 miles to get anything to eat. Germantown has to do that once. Riverdale lives here and does it every day - advantage - Riverdale

:D

How dare you poke fun at the great Herb Luker!!!! I am appauled and offended by your insinuations. When a man of his intelligence makes a statement like "We went down there to USJ, and they had more blacktop on their campus than we have in the whole city of Collinwood," then you must know that there is indeed some vailidity to it.

Luker goes on to say, "We want this [split] simply because we're not playing on a level field with the privates. If a private school has 300 students, they've hand picked 'em. Some privates stop enrollment at 300 just to stay Class A. It's just not fair." It is obvious that Luker has spent much time at private schools over the years. He seems to have a very clear understanding of the intricacies of private schools. I hear he has worked very closely with many of them to find out exactly how they do things (admissions, fund-raising, etc.). Only after this in-depth research can one form such complex philosophies.

My hat's off to Luker for fighting for such a worthy cause. After all, the last thing we want to see is a team lose a game due to the unfair advanatge of blacktop! Keep fighting Mr. Luker! You're an inspiration to each of us that live on a gravel road.

Thought the following information may be helpful to the schools that are still left, AND to the schools that are out of the playoffs you can get a head starrt on next year.

I am sure ALL OF THE PRIVATE SCHOOLS will get Stamped Colored or Speciality Concrete, while the poor public schools will get simple Asphalt Paving.

Choose Your Category: Driveways, Patios, Walks and Steps

Asphalt Paving - Install Also called blacktop because of its color.

Asphalt Paving - Repair, Patch or Reseal Also called blacktop because of its color.

Brick and Stone Patios, Walks, and Steps - Install Build forms, pour concrete, & finish flat concrete.

Brick and Stone Patios, Walks, and Steps - Repair Includes walks, patios, driveways, floors.

Brick or Stone - Tuck-pointing Replace existing mortar with new mortar & bonding agent.

Concrete Driveways, Patios, and Walks - Install Build forms, pour concrete & finish flat concrete.

Concrete Driveways, Patios, and Walks - Repair Patch or repair holes or cracks in flat concrete.

Gravel or Loose Fill Paving - Install, Spread or Scrape For roads, driveways paths & parking.

Stamped, Colored or Specialty Concrete - Install Includes exposed aggregate, simulated brick, etc.