What the A & AA Schools Should Do!

cbg

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our best gates (Goodpature and I work the gates and know) are when we play other privates but we don't play enough local privates. I would think a GP Vs DCA be a natural rivalry, two East Nashville C of C schools. I think the TSSAA missed the boat completely on this vote. Our region is just not a rivalry producing alignment.

What should A and AA schools do? Buy a tape of Huntingdon-DLHS.

DLHS was an overwhelming favorite and Huntingdon laid it to them. Sure, DLHS turned it over a half-dozen times or so (caused in part by a Huntingdon defensive line that broke through the line of scrimmage frequently and put a lot of pressure on the QB), but Huntingdon still ran through them like Swiss cheese when they had their hands on the ball.

One game does not make or break an argument, but anyone who saw tonight's game would have had a hard time justifying any advantages Lipscomb may have possessed going into the game. Take away the defining team colors and play-by-play voices, and a vast majority of people who read P/P threads would have sworn that the private school team was the team wearing the road jerseys tonight.

Congratulations to the Huntingdon Mustangs - you deserved it 100%. Still, I'm baffled as to what happened to the Lipscomb Mustangs - from what everyone (including myself) read on here, either about Lipscomb the team or Lipscomb the "private school", I didn't think this would be much of a game. And it wasn't - just the other way around.

What should A and AA schools do?  Buy a tape of Huntingdon-DLHS.

DLHS was an overwhelming favorite and Huntingdon laid it to them.  Sure, DLHS turned it over a half-dozen times or so (caused in part by a Huntingdon defensive line that broke through the line of scrimmage frequently and put a lot of pressure on the QB), but Huntingdon still ran through them like Swiss cheese when they had their hands on the ball.

One game does not make or break an argument, but anyone who saw tonight's game would have had a hard time justifying any advantages Lipscomb may have possessed going into the game.  Take away the defining team colors and play-by-play voices, and a vast majority of people who read P/P threads would have sworn that the private school team was the team wearing the road jerseys tonight.

Congratulations to the Huntingdon Mustangs - you deserved it 100%.  Still, I'm baffled as to what happened to the Lipscomb Mustangs - from what everyone (including myself) read on here, either about Lipscomb the team or Lipscomb the "private school", I didn't think this would be much of a game.  And it wasn't - just the other way around.

I didn't see Huntingdon advertising their school every other commercial like DL did either. If you don't see that as a huge advantage...you have your eyes closed.

Heck...if I am a kid or a parent that has a kid that is strong academically and athletically...in the Nashville area...I would take a good look at DL. There they were for the 2nd year in a row in the state championship. They said in their commercial that near 100% go on to college (duh). Public schools don't advertise.

There were no commercials saying...come to Huntingdon High if you want to be academically challenged and be in the state championship every year.

What Huntingdon did to DL was not far short of miraculous. I don't think I have ever enjoyed a high school game any more than that one. B)

Edited by Antwan

Antwan, don't diisagree, but I wonder if each school was given time to advertize in their own market. Since I watched it on WB in Nashville and saw the DCA and DL advertizing, I'm just wondering on the other three WB markets did those schools get to advertize? We didn't see those markets, Chat, Memphis, and Knoxville. I suspect that Boyd advertized on the Chat affiliate, can't say if Huntingdon had anything on the Memphis affiliate. Perhaps someone from that market can let us know.

Edited by robjim

Antwan, don't diisagree, but I wonder if each school was given time to advertize in their own market.  Since I watched it on WB in Nashville and saw the DCA and DL advertizing, I'm just wondering on the other three WB markets did those schools get to advertize?  We didn't see those markets, Chat, Memphis, and Knoxville.  I suspect that Boyd advertized on the Chat affiliate, can't say if Huntingdon had anything on the Memphis affiliate.  Perhaps someone from that market can let us know.

Good point...I don't know. If they did...I don't think they advertised to attend to their school. I would think it would be...congrats to Huntingdon (or something like that). I don't think you will see...Fulton, Covington, Hillsboro, Morristown West, Riverdale, or Germantown doing that today either.

Edited by Antwan

Good point...I don't know.  If they did...I don't think they advertised to attend to their school.  I would think it would be...congrats to Huntingdon (or something like that).  I don't think you will see...Fulton, Covington, Hillsboro, Morristown West, Riverdale, or Germantown doing that today either.

Antwan,

Let me ask you this. Was Huntingdon not allowed to buy commercial time on the broadcast? Would Hillboro, Riverdale or Smith County not be allowed to buy commercial time? Lipscomb chose to buy commercial time. End of story. What is your point?

It just looks to me like whatever a private school does you will criticize them.

By the way, I enjoyed the game because Huntingdon was a fine football team - public or private. :D

Edited by Bighurt

Antwan,

Let me ask you this.  Was Huntingdon not allowed to buy commercial time on the broadcast?  Would Hillboro, Riverdale or Smith County not be allowed to buy commercial time?  Lipscomb chose to buy commercial time.  End of story.  What is your point? 

It just looks to me like whatever a private school does you will criticize them.

By the way, I enjoyed the game because Huntingdon was a fine football team - public or private.  :D

Do you really think a public school would advertise for students to attend their school? That is my point...that is a huge advantage. You are right...I don't like private schools having that advantage.

I could see it now. Hey folks...come to live in Riverdale's zone. We have been to the state championship 4 years in a row. If you move to our zone...you will have a chance to be a champion too. How do you think that would go over?

Edited by Antwan