Best Team in the State in 2003

redskins1998

Hey, you MBA guys have all the stats. I wonder why your ignoring inot2bads 2 questions ?

For two reasons. First, I was at work from 8:30 last night til 4 this morning, and second, those questions are almost impossible to answer accurately because there is not really any public information to help answer them. When I was at mba, most of my senior class was not on any aid. There were also very few athletes on aid, but the number of athletes was pretty proportional to the overall number. I would estimate that there were 7-10 boys on the varsity team on aid. That's about 8%. That's the best I can do.

Edited by Redtwin

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BEST TEAM IN THE STATE IN 2003

MBA does not recruit football players, but because of its academic reputation and football tradition, student athletes seek out MBA as their school of choice. It's important to note that there is a tough admissions policy, and many outstanding football players don't get in.

MBA provides financial aid for students with high academic capability, but very few are athletes. MBA historically loses more football players because of its academic requirements than it gets because of financial aid.

MBA's senior class this year is a prime example of outstanding football ability combined with strong academic performance in the classroom. So far, the football players that have committed are going to strong academic colleges.

Tom Santi/Virginia/football, Scott Pettus/Vanderbilt/baseball, Matthew Jacques/Yale/Football, Michael Fisher/Georgia Tech/baseball.

Currently, Michael Koban/football, and Brad French/football are considering Penn, and Clay Haury/football Vanderbilt.

Obviously, all of the above universities have strong academic admission requirements.

MBA is the best team in the state because of an outstanding coaching staff, and talented and dedicated football players who understand the importance of being a student athlete. Players want to come to MBA, and MBA does not recruit, furthermore, the football players must meet the same admission requirements as the students that are not athletes.

Hillsboro is the best team in the state because of an outstanding coaching staff, and tallented and dedicated football players who understand the importance of being a student athlete. Players want to come to Hillsboro, and Hillsboro does not recruit, futhermore, the football players must meet the same admission requirements as students that are not athletes.

see how easy that was......I just made Hillsboro the best team in the state.

WaCo :o JaCo

When the News Sentinel ranked Demarcus Stevens at #18 in their best players in the area, do you think they might have shot their credibility? Seems like if your not in a strong 4a or 5a program the same level of respect is just not there. He is the package with tallent even in his ear wax. His demeanor and character are a bonus for the school he signs with. Every D1 program embraces thier hometown heros. The UT program could use a Demarcus Stevens.

Justin Long is a true athlete. The guy is a leadership soldier. He patiently waited his turn last year and has gone from a patient backup QB to a dominant 3A offensive MVP. His off-field leadership is his strength, playing four quarters is his talent.

Hats off to the Falcon senior Class of 2004. Showing class and wearing rings.

To the juniors, learn from your mentors, listen to your coaches, and take care of business in the off season. Your quest for the boro' next year has already begun.

Even with a title, the Falcons are still looking for respect. I don't care who you are... 4A, 5A, or MBA. To go through our region with only 1 loss and a couple of close games would be a challenge for any ball club. Even if you live in middle or western Tennessee.

After watching the majority of every game in the Blue Cross Bowl, I am further reassured that MBA is the best team in the state. The offensive and defensive schemes of those teams pale in comparison to MBA's. Germantown and Riverdale were solid teams, but couldn't hang with MBA. Hillsboro is good, but they run about five plays over and over. MBA would blow up that wing-T attack. Come to think of it, it seemed most of the teams I saw ran the same five or six plays over and over. Mo-West was weak. They would not score against MBA. How did they ever beat the mighty Maryville Rebels anyway? Fulton, Huntingdon, etc would make for entertaining JV games for MBA.

I find it humorous that people continue to question the reputation of MBA as it relates to financial aid. MBA is one of the premier independent schools in the nation and is widely known in academic circles throughout the country and abroad. When you question our integrity it proves that you know very little about which you are talking.

Here's my top ten:

1. MBA

2. Brentwood Academy

3. Christian Brothers

4. Germantown

5. Riverdale

6. Lincoln County

7. Franklin

8. Hillsboro

9. Melrose

10. McCallie

Hillsboro is the best team in the state because of an outstanding coaching staff, and tallented and dedicated football players who understand the importance of being a student athlete. Players want to come to Hillsboro, and Hillsboro does not recruit, futhermore, the football players must meet the same admission requirements as students that are not athletes.

WaCo :justwrestle: JaCo

This thread contains only opinions. Why do you choose to single out only those opinions which support MBA? The sad thing is that more people not even associated with MBA have tabbed MBA as their best team in the state than MBA supporters themselves. Why do you consistently take shots at MBA? We're certainly not on here bashing your school at every opportunity.

MBA does not recruit football players, but because of its academic reputation and football tradition, student athletes seek out MBA as their school of choice. It's important to note that there is a tough admissions policy, and many outstanding football players don't get in.

This is the case with most private schools - students and athletes with the desire for a good education and for the best that football has to offer in their area. If they have the best facilities, top-notch coaching staff, and great traditional, who wouldn't want to attend if they could afford it. The coaches don't have to go out and get players; the players come to them.

Aside from all of that, I respect any team who is successful and executes their game plan. All who won a state championship exemplified these things.

I do look at some public schools and their backgrounds (Ex. - past football seasons, tradition or lack thereof, facilities, etc.) and notice them for accomplishing a more challenging task. The playoff system is more challenging for the public schools to win five games in a row and I do hate the privates don't have more teams involved to make it more challenging.

I recognize teams like Fulton and Hillsboro who finally got their gold balls after going through silver ones. It's tough to make it to the State championship game once, but to get there two or three times in a row is a testament to quality programs. Also, a Huntingdon team who overcame losing badly to Milan in the season and ran it passed them in the semis and conquered the previously unbeaten, defending state champs in Lipscomb.

Being a Shelby County resident, I am biased to our teams and I am very proud of Germantown for finally getting it done after many years of being stopped short. Last year's team was, in my opinion, as good as this year's, but heart and determination can overcome past obstacles. Great job on a great season!

WaCo :justwrestle: JaCo

This thread contains only opinions. Why do you choose to single out only those opinions which support MBA? The sad thing is that more people not even associated with MBA have tabbed MBA as their best team in the state than MBA supporters themselves. Why do you consistently take shots at MBA? We're certainly not on here bashing your school at every opportunity.

rollredroll, WaCo (who has a mysterious green cast to his posts) will never admit it but here are the top 4 reasons for his envious rantings against MBA and the rest of us in D2:

#4…..Sonny Moore Ratings

1. MBA

5. Brentwood Academy

6. Hillsboro

9. Christian Brothers

14. Kingsport DB

#3…..unapproved website ratings

1. MBA

2. Christian Brothers

3. Brentwood Academy

6. Hillsboro

12. McCallie

34 Kingsport DB

#2…..Ken Massey Rankings

1. MBA

2. Brentwood Academy

4. Christian Brothers

11. Hillsboro

13. McCallie

40. Kingsport DB

…and the number one reason for WaCo’s hate is:

USA Today top 25

18. MBA

To borrow from Jack Nicholson, WaCo can’t handle the unbiased truth, therefore he hates!!

To set the record straight, I don't hate MBA at all. I think MBA is a great school, and has a great football program. You can call it hate if you like, but I think its a little silly for anyone to claim their team "the best in the state" without ever playing for it. If you think I have singled out MBA,your right. It looks to me like there are far more post on this board claiming MBA is the best team in the state, and 90% are from the same hand full of posters (you know who you are). If you think any poll can pick and choose a champion, no matter what stats are taken, then you only have half a brain. I could list examples from now till the end of time to prove you wrong. The game is played on the field not in the polls.

The bottom line is you guys can't be satisified with winning the State Championship in your division. You want to step all over 5A,4A,3A,2A,1A, in claiming your better than anyone else. So until this state actually has a playoff to decide who is the true champion, you guys just need to sit down.

You have worked yourself to death providing all these meaningless stats and polls that in the end mean nothing in deciding who the best team in the state is.

THE GAME IS PLAYED ON THE FIELD !

Next.......

To set the record straight, I don't hate MBA at all. I think MBA is a great school, and has a great football program. You can call it hate if you like, but I think its a little silly for anyone to claim their team "the best in the state" without ever playing for it. If you think I have singled out MBA,your right. It looks to me like there are far more post on this board claiming MBA is the best team in the state, and 90% are from the same hand full of posters (you know who you are). If you think any poll can pick and choose a champion, no matter what stats are taken, then you only have half a brain. I could list examples from now till the end of time to prove you wrong. The game is played on the field not in the polls.

The bottom line is you guys can't be satisified with winning the State Championship in your division. You want to step all over 5A,4A,3A,2A,1A, in claiming your better than anyone else. So until this state actually has a playoff to decide who is the true champion, you guys just need to sit down.

You have worked yourself to death providing all these meaningless stats and polls that in the end mean nothing in deciding who the best team in the state is.

THE GAME IS PLAYED ON THE FIELD !

Next.......

Once upon a time the state did have a playoff system that could come much closer to deciding the best team in the state. Problem was, Brentwood Academy won it a couple of times, and somebody down in Murfreesboro didn't like that. That's when TSSAA decided to split off the current DII schools.

Since that time, many of the top DI schools have refused to play the DII schools. Noticable (and admirable) exceptions to that were last year, when 5A champion Brentwood played Brentwood Academy, and lost, and this year when 5A champion Germantown scheduled Christian Brothers and lost. I would only add that neither of those DII teams won the DII championship...MBA did.

Just logically, doesn't it make sense that the better DII AAA teams are better than the top 5A teams? As you so eloquently stated, the game is played on the field. Now, if you have a problem with the logic, I feel quite certain that all the DIIAAA teams woiuld love to come back together and play for those shiny gold balls as one big happy family. If you'd rather not do that, then I'm equally certain that MBA, BA, CBHS, etc. would be happy to schedule a warmup game for any 5A team that wants to get ready for their real season!!

We're fine with winning DIIAAA. We're also fine with the national rankings we have been receiving. We're not trying to step on anyone at all, but we were thrown out of DI and the metro freshman football league (a league we helped start), because the other schools in those leagues don't want to play us. Now, when we claim to be the best in the state, they say that it isn't fair because we didn't play any of thier teams. MBA would love to play whatever team it needs to to be considered a true champion, but the above mentioned schools don't want to see that happen, so the game will never be played.

Itzme......Well its a shame they split them up to start with. and just because someone in Murfreesboro didn't like getting beat a couple years in a row. When Maryville won 3 in a row, I wonder why they didn't force them to move up to 5A. There really is no logic in the example you gave about the DII teams beating Germantown & Brentwood in reg. season. And this meaning DII is better than DI. You still have to win your playoff games to be crowned State Champion. example: MBA-Brentwood Academy, Lincoln Co.-Riverdale, Dobyns-Bennett-Oak Ridge, and there are many more. Teams that won in reg. season, but lost to the same teams they beat in the playoffs.

You have to win it on the field, ain't no other way.