4. Germantown

5. Hillsboro

6. Riverdale

7. Franklin

8. Maryville

9. Melrose

10. Mo West

11. Hundington

I know this is all just opinion, and like noses, everybody has one. I am curious how you come up with the top 11 teams and omit Lincoln County. You have Riverdale and Franklin ranked 6 and 7, respectively. Lincoln County beat both of them. Riverdale lost three games this year and Franklin lost a couple. Lincoln County ended up 12-1, and had BOTH of the 5A Mr. Football winners.

I could not make a very good case that they were the BEST team in the state, but I could sure argue that they belong in the top ten. Of course, that's just my opinion...and is worth about as much as yours.

I couldn't agree more. Riverdale and LC slugged it out in 'the pit' for the entire game. LC had the opportunity to win that game till the final incomplete pass in the direction of a wide open (and very fast) TE with seconds left on the clock. Riverdale gave Germantown a run for their money and came close to going ahead if I remember correctly. I think a team that went 12-1 and barely lost to a very good team they beat earlier in the year should definitely be in the top ten, and likely in the top 5. But that's just my opinion....

Just name one recruited player at MBA in the past 10 years. You'll find the majority of MBA's athletes live within 10 minutes of school. Please just support your arguement with one example...you should know how to do this, music scholarship and all.

I don't keep up with your program enough to name one player, I'm sure there are some people closer to the situation that could though. Here is the quotes from your website. It doesn't take a whole lot of smarts to figure out from this statement how you get the athletes.

MBA Home - Admissions - Tuition and Financial Aid

Tuition Costs and Financial Aid

The cost of tuition for the 2003-2004 school year is $13,375. Other fees may apply.

Payment plans are available as is Tuition Refund Insurance

MBA offers financial based on demonstrated need. The school follows the financial aid guidelines established by the School and Student Service for Financial Aid (SSS) in determining need. Contact the Admission Office for application materials and additional information.

It will cost approximately $17,800 to educate each MBA student this year. Tuition and fees cover only 69% of this cost. Through the generosity of parents, alumni, and friends, the Annual Fund and Endowment subsidize the cost of each boy's education. This year, Annual Fund dollars will cover over 12% of operating costs.

This discussion really doesn't belong here and I'm done with it on this thread.

Just name one recruited player at MBA in the past 10 years. You'll find the majority of MBA's athletes live within 10 minutes of school. Please just support your arguement with one example...you should know how to do this, music scholarship and all.

I don't keep up with your program enough to name one player, I'm sure there are some people closer to the situation that could though. Here is the quotes from your website. It doesn't take a whole lot of smarts to figure out from this statement how you get the athletes.

MBA Home - Admissions - Tuition and Financial Aid

Tuition Costs and Financial Aid

The cost of tuition for the 2003-2004 school year is $13,375. Other fees may apply.

Payment plans are available as is Tuition Refund Insurance

MBA offers financial based on demonstrated need. The school follows the financial aid guidelines established by the School and Student Service for Financial Aid (SSS) in determining need. Contact the Admission Office for application materials and additional information.

It will cost approximately $17,800 to educate each MBA student this year. Tuition and fees cover only 69% of this cost. Through the generosity of parents, alumni, and friends, the Annual Fund and Endowment subsidize the cost of each boy's education. This year, Annual Fund dollars will cover over 12% of operating costs.

This discussion really doesn't belong here and I'm done with it on this thread.

I don't see what your point is. There are still no scholarships, and there is still no recruiting. The Annual Fund is an effort to keep tuition affordable. As you said, it covers general operating costs, such as utilities, maintenance, etc. No individual ever sees any part of it. You can keep digging all you like, but you're not going to find anything. MBA gets most of its students from the same places it always has: Ensworth, Oak Hill, Harding, and the Parochial Schools, but like you said, you don't keep up with the program, so you wouldn't know.

Also, i thought i had put lincoln co in the poll. they must have slipped my mind. i've edited it:

1. MBA

2. BA

3. CBHS

4. Germantown

5. Hillsboro

6. Riverdale

7. Franklin

8. Lincoln Co

9. Maryville

10. Melrose

11. Mo West

12. Hundington

Edited by Redtwin

Your crazy if you don't think that private schools recruit players, its not called recruiting but its all the same thing. Its funny how somebody, that can bairly read, can get a full academic scholorship. hmmmm. sounds a little funny too me.

In referance to the thread, I don't think school size matters, and I would put Huntingdon up against any school in the state, they may not win, but they would give them a game thats garunteed.

mood1801, you have it all wrong. Trust me.

Where do MBA's student-athletes live? By and large, in a relatively small radius around the school. Here's a link to a Public/Private Debate thread that will give you an idea of where many of this past year's football players live:

Link

I'm with Redtwin - I don't understand what your post from the MBA website is supposed to demonstrate. MBA subsidizes tuition through support from others, primarily alumni. MBA is only able to ensure future financial support from alumni by bringing in students today who will succeed in life beyond the athletic fields so that they may make a living that affords them the opportunity to give back to the school. MBA does not have the alumni support it has by having enrolled a bunch of dumb jocks who can barely make it out of high school.

Back to the thread topic, here's my Top 10:

1. MBA - my personal bias aside, it's hard to argue that there was any other team that had the running/passing balance that MBA had in 2003. The Clinic Bowl show was one for the ages, particularly Michael Fisher's performance.

2. Germantown - I have them ahead of CBHS despite having lost to CBHS. They played better later and showed a lot of grit in winning 5A on what was essentially Riverdale's home turf.

3. BA. The combo of Holbert and Townsend would be tough for most teams to stop. The Eagles need a passing game, though.

4. Hillsboro - one dimensional, but a very powerful running game. Defense won the 4A title for the Burros.

5. CBHS - an outstanding defense which created offensive opportunities. Gave Germantown its only loss. Tired late in the season, losing at home to MBA, squeaking by McCallie at home, and getting run over by an inspired BA team in Memphis looking to avenge a defeat.

6. Riverdale - another disappointing title game loss, but is there any other program in 5A that produces on the field like RHS? No.

7. Lincoln County - the quarterfinal loss to Riverdale doesn't diminish a great year with two Mr. Football winners.

8. Maryville - probably would have given HHS a tougher game, but they came up short against Morristown West. They'll be back with a vengeance next year.

9. Franklin - unprecedented year. Beating the defending 5A champs twice was a great feat and gave LCHS their toughest game during the regular season.

10. Huntingdon - I'll give a smaller school some credit. They were the best looking team in Murfreesboro on Friday and embarrassed a Lipscomb team that hadn't really been tested all year (except by Goodpasture). That freshman RB will cause headaches for years to come.

Edited by rollredroll

There is a difference between recruiting (seeking out a player) and offering need based financial aid to all students that an athlete may receive if a third party deems it necessary. MBA does not actively seek out athletes to attend school there, and as I stated earlier, it has no control over who received financial aid. There are no also no complete aid packages, so all students must pay a portion of their tuition. As I said earlier, if you have any knowledge of MBA recruiting, which is not allowed in DII, please report it to Ronnie Carter immediately. Three people on this board have said already that the rules are being broken, so it should only be a matter of days before the sanctions are in order.

OK, I'll chime in with my top ten!

1) MBA- Saw them once, I was sold.

2) Germantown- Typically the 5A champs are number one in my book, but MBA was just... wow.

3) Hillsboro- Total domination yesterday- I don't see how Pearl beat them.

4) Riverdale- Gave Germantown a run for their money. I think they would have won had they thrown more.

5) Franklin- Would have given Riverdale a run for their money. Picked a heck of a game to make some uncharateristic mistakes- the semis.

6) Lincoln County- I feeel they would have fallen in my perfect BCB game- a rematch.

7) Maryville- How did MoTown West beat them? I REALLY wanted to see them yesterday. Darn, guess I'll just have to go next year.

8) Huntingdon- They were GOOD. They were that GOOD. Very impressed by the Mustangs.

9) Melrose- Could have easily been playing yesterday and likely winning.

10) Brentwood Academy- Saw them struggle with Centennial. Saw them get blown away by MBA. Didn't look like much progress had been made from week 0 to week 13.