TSSAA Legislative Council Meeting

FBMan

DII was never a part of the previous proposal. They would have only been affected if the DI privates were sent packing to DII.

I understand that DII was never part of the previous proposal. I thought the previous proposal was voted down. Doesn't that put either everything or nothing on the table?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand that DII was never part of the previous proposal. I thought the previous proposal was voted down. Doesn't that put either everything or nothing on the table?

NO... That was regarding a split between public and privates and had nothing to do with re-classification which is governed by the Governing Council. Reclassification comes around every four years and it is time to reclassify for the 2005-2008 seasons.

Reclassification can include the multiplier but that is a separate issue from the Virginia Plan which is what Ronnie Carter will propose. The Council will vote in their June meeting and the classifications will be based on the student population from September 1, 2004 numbers. This was all explained at the state coaches meeting in Murfreesboro.

So, is the fact that LV has become a "Baseball and Basketball school of late" because they want to, or because they're losing football players to the privates?

Kudos are certainly in order; but it's so easy to "congratulate" players on their "courage" when the offer an automatic checkmark in the "W" column.

Happy Valley and Hampton were always praising Unaka for their courage when they were pounding them into the ground every year. So Unaka dropped them in football; now HV (and especially) Hampton are relentless in their assault of the "cowardly" Rangers.

Any way the LV team could stop playing SP and Boyd until they get better? Or does it not look like they're gonna be getting better in the foreseeable future?

Baldcoach, I don't mean any of this to offend you; but it looks like LV is in a desperate situation with their football program. Looks like they need a couple years to re-group; if re-grouping is a possibility at this point.

No offense taken Krich...

LV has never been very good in Football. It has nothing to do with losing players to privates. They have always been respectable in Basketball and good in Baseball.

I think you could be right about a couple of years to regroup...I know Boyd took about 4 years out by not playing a region schedule in the late 80's for the same reason. It didn't really help for the early 90's, but it did let them have a couple of successful years.

I wasn't giving kudos because they were a win though, I have been where they are as a player and a coach...just wanted them to know it takes a different kind of courage to compete in that situation. They showed they have it.

Baldcoach,

Very well put. Maybe we (Unaka) could play LV for a couple years; and in turn, you guys could play Cloudland.... during the regular season, of course. B)

I actually would like to play Cloudland...they have a great program. The drive, however, is somewhat prohibitive (about 4 or 5 hours from the 'nooga).

We are having a harder and harder time getting opponents. This year we had a 9 game regular season because 2 schools dropped us right before the end of last year and we could only fill 1 of the spots. 1 of the schools decided not to play Varsity. The other was a semi-local 3a team(who shall remain nameless) who's coach blindsided us with 2 months to go until the season. Said his program just "wouldn't benefit" from playing us. I wonder what benefit his kids got from his example about keeping his word? Apparently not much as their season wasn't particularly successful.

BC stepping off his soapbox...

p.s. I know the rant didn't have anything to do with your post Krich...just been waiting to get that out of my system. :)B)

My county is open zoned within the county...but if you live outside you cannot attend. It's simple why I am against the private schools that are in 1a and 2a.

Antwan, maybe this is something that your board should reconsider, most counties that I have been associated with let students cross over as long as they provide there own transportation and have room, granted most publics have room for great athletes. The school recieves federal grant money from every student that attends, more students, more money. So even in this situation you have one public school having an advantage over another. You cannot level the playing field, I can't understand why someone of your intelligence can't see that. You keep saying that privates have a distinct advantage over publics, I think you have talked yourself into this belief. This could be caused by the tunnel vision syndrome. I believe if you would look at the broader issues concerning leveling the playing field, you would conclude that certain school systems have distinct advantages over others. Distinct advantages are wide spread and cross over public and private issues. I feel even if the split were to happen you would find a unlevel playing field within the pubic division. It seems that you are really not interested in leveling the playing field as you are getting the privates out of the way, therefore elliminating the competition, or putting it in a politically corect way, watering down the competition. Remember what they say, get out of the tunnel because the light at the end is a train.

It seems that you are really not interested in leveling the playing field as you are getting the privates out of the way, therefore elliminating the competition, or putting it in a politically corect way, watering down the competition.

So by this I take it you think the privates are better?

Antwan, maybe this is something that your board should reconsider, most counties that I have been associated with let students cross over as long as they provide there own transportation and have room, granted most publics have room for great athletes. The school recieves federal grant money from every student that attends, more students, more money. So even in this situation you have one public school having an advantage over another. You cannot level the playing field, I can't understand why someone of your intelligence can't see that. You keep saying that privates have a distinct advantage over publics, I think you have talked yourself into this belief. This could be caused by the tunnel vision syndrome. I believe if you would look at the broader issues concerning leveling the playing field, you would conclude that certain school systems have distinct advantages over others. Distinct advantages are wide spread and cross over public and private issues. I feel even if the split were to happen you would find a unlevel playing field within the pubic division. It seems that you are really not interested in leveling the playing field as you are getting the privates out of the way, therefore elliminating the competition, or putting it in a politically corect way, watering down the competition. Remember what they say, get out of the tunnel because the light at the end is a train.

I repeat what I have said before. Why not have just one class for all football playing schools? Aren't we watering down the competition by having more than one? Your logic is not logical. Privates definitely have an advantage over rural public schools of the same size. If they don't...why is a multiplier even being considered?

As for allowing students from outside the county...I am not on the school board.

I didn't make that decision. If they were allowed...as before...there wouldn't be many to come anyway. It's really a non-issue.

I repeat what I have said before. Why not have just one class for all football playing schools? Aren't we watering down the competition by having more than one? Your logic is not logical. Privates definitely have an advantage over rural public schools of the same size. If they don't...why is a multiplier even being considered?

As for allowing students from outside the county...I am not on the school board.

I didn't make that decision. If they were allowed...as before...there wouldn't be many to come anyway. It's really a non-issue.

I believe the reason some countied do that is b/c of special ed. Larger counties with bigger budgets don't won't to be bolled over with special ed students transfering in. At least that is the primary reason I was given when I asked about that some years ago.

Privates definitely have an advantage over rural public schools of the same size.

My logic is based on the fact that you can say that, but you have to admit that just because a public school is the same size doesn't mean they are equal. Therefore splitting the two does not solve the level playing field. Therefore you have not met your premise for your objective which is level the playing field.

So by this I take it you think the privates are better?

I am not saying one is better than the other, it all equals out when you add all the advantages and disadvantages of both

What disadvantages do private schools have?

-It cost money to go to private schools, which is something many kids can not afford.

-Kids have to past tests in order to get in.

We had a kid that wanted to go to my school that committed to Ole Miss his senior year for football...he was also 4-A All State and played in the TN/ KY all star game.

He had to go to a public school where he guided them to the state championship, if he had passed the test, he would have gotten in and really helped us.