Popularity of the sport

gopher15

Good Points Union. the University of TN has had alot of former High School wrestlers on their team, as do alot of collegs and universities.

A few more reasons why wrestling only improves an athletes football skills:

1. Athlete learns and understands the importance of leverage, how to get it, how to maintain it, and how to use for their advantage.

2. Wrestling improves the skills of a football player to making good and safe tackles. Head up, shoulders square, and shoot the arms past the runner are about the same steps to hitting an effective double leg.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll tell you why wrestling isn't popular! Kids today think it is cool to make fun of wrestling because they think it is gay. Well first of all it isnt gay. When you get your face smacked into the mat you forget all about what your wearing and what people are saying you just get back up and try to do the same back to him. Also the singlets, they say its gay so they dont have to wear them, but me it has got me more dates then i have lost because if your a real man it will show...lol just a thought why people dont like it.

The real reason is about 10 or maybe 15 years ago they made a rule that colleges had to have as many girl sports as guy sports. So they all dropped wrestling. That is freakin gay why they did that. Now it is starting to build back up. When all these schools dropped wrestling most people dont want to wrestle because it doesnt help them in the future towards college because most kids have dreams of playing college sports...well pro sports but they must play in college to go pro usually and if there is no college wrestling there is no dream or desire to wrestle. Now that is the real reason no one wrestles and why it is less popular.

2. Wrestling improves the skills of a football player to making good and safe tackles. Head up, shoulders square, and shoot the arms past the runner are about the same steps to hitting an effective double leg.

I agree. Look at BA in the mid-90s when they won three straight wrestling titles. They also happened to win two football titles. Many of the football players wrestled.

I wish the sport was more popular, too. Every high school sport, in my opinion, could stand to be a bit more popular here in Tennessee.

I completely agree with Lauderdale. Just to throw a couple of stats, that may have been mentioned in the past. There are some unbelievable football players, that were not only wrestling stars, but give partial credit to wrestling. I can list a few off the top of my head:

Mike and Bob Golic (Hall of Famers)

Ray Lewis (Florida state champ_

Emmit Smith (Florida state champ)

Eric Rhett

We all know Scott Wells

and there are many more...

Today many kids don't want that physical demand. I have so many football players that come out and wrestle for a couple of days, then tell me they are just going to lift weights during off season. All though this is not a problem in all schools, we need football and wrestling teams to aid each other. It would make Tennessee more powerful in both sports as a state. I will end with this. Lou Holtz, back in his prime coaching days, went to a high school in Florida, to meet and talk to a high school team. He asked the team how many were on the wrestling team. Some raised their hands, and he said they were already a step ahead towards having a college career. I have a first year wrestler who attends camps at Ole Miss, and talks to Cutcliff over the telephone once in a while. After his first week of practice, he talked to the coach telling him how sore and wore out he was. Cutcliff told him to stick with this program because it was the best thing he could do.

AND John Hannah, National Prep School Champion at Baylor. All American at Alabama and perpetual All Pro for the Pats.

Hear is why I do NOT like wrestling. I appreciate any one who can get out in public and show what kind of package you have, but hear is why I do not like it.

We had a kid when I was in high school (about 13 years ago) who was very large, big build, and not super athletic (but what fat kid is?).

He went out for wrestling and the coach told em that he was just too fat (even for heavy weight division). So this kid, finally for once in his life, has some motivation to loose weight. I mean he REALLY gets into this wrestlling thing. It is a scene straight from VisonQuest. He starts running and running and running and running. Which is good, but then he starts to stop eatting. He is loosing weight weight by the dumptruck loads.

Next thing you know girls start to notice him because he is not a fat slob anymore, Well this just motivates him even more. Now you can hear Madonna singing Crazy For You from Vision Quest as he is running. Girls like the new Albert. He gets down to around 155, easily lost 150 pounds in about 3 1/2 months.

Hear was his problem. He has skin hanging off him like cocoons. Did ya see the episode of Extreme Make Over about 2 weeks ago. Well that was Albert (not really, but same type story).

That is why wrestling is not liked by me. JMO. I think that is why it is not popular. How many other Alberts are there out there.

I completely agree with Lauderdale. Just to throw a couple of stats, that may have been mentioned in the past. There are some unbelievable football players, that were not only wrestling stars, but give partial credit to wrestling. I can list a few off the top of my head:

Mike and Bob Golic (Hall of Famers)

Ray Lewis (Florida state champ_

Emmit Smith (Florida state champ)

Eric Rhett

We all know Scott Wells

and there are many more...

I do not know Scott Wells. Who is he?

This post was my point last week!!!!!!!!! I get people all over me on my post, but they support this post. I am confused.

Another thing about wrestling, has anybody ever seen those shirts that say the most beautiful thing on a basketball court is wrestling mats?

That shows you how weird wrestlers are. I can think of a lot of more beautiful things on a bb court than wrestling mats. Like how about a bunch of super models?

panther, the saying is this......."the site I adore on a basketball floor are wrestling mats from door to door." Its not "the most beautiful thing" as you stated. If you're going to try to start something you need to get it right first. I have a question for you are you a basketball player?

paper, ease up just a bit.

Funny is in the eyes of the beholder. It was funny to me that he thought that wrestlers were weird because of of mass produced t-shirt. I also thought he was trying to be funny, so I acknowledge his ironic wit.

side note:

I have been in many gyms,,,,,,I can't recall ever seeing a super model there.

But if they were there, move out the mats.