True State Champion Tournament

coachmasters

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach,

You may need to check with the TSSAA before you do this. By only inviting the top 4 finishers in D1 and D2 it would probably be considered an All-Star Tournament and therefore only seniors would be eligible to compete. Let's be careful so that some of the underclassmen are not ineligible for the 2004-05 season. I would require a letter from the TSSAA with Coach Carter's signature clearing the underclassmen before I allowed underclassmen in the tournament. Other than that I feel that it is a great idea.

Edited by cbg

Coach,

You may need to check with the TSSAA before you do this. By only inviting the top 4 finishers in D1 and D2 it would probably be considered an All-Star Tournament and therefore only seniors would be eligible to compete. Let's be careful so that some of the underclassmen are not ineligible for the 2004-05 season. I would require a letter from the TSSAA with Coach Carter's signature clearing the underclassmen before I allowed underclassmen in the tournament. Other than that I feel that it is a great idea.

good point. Who is cbg? You know your stuff.

Soms

This is a great $$$$$ maker! Where is all that cash gonna go?

In responce to the competition question, a state champ is a state champ, period. I am not against the idea but these kids work very hard to accomplish the goal of being a state champ or place winner regardless of division. If you need some competition then go to an open tourny and enter or run a marathon or triathalon but don't let a good idea become anexcuse to find competition. If you are that interested in the best of the best find out where you rank. Just a thought.

This is a very good idea. The place would be packed and the wrestling would be intense. I would for my guys to see this level of intense wrestling. This would also establish another goal for our wrestlers to achieve.

Here are a few more comments/suggestions:

1. KKW, we have 4 (2 sided) score clocks you are more than welcome to use. They are the same ones that were used at the Eagle Challenge Duals and at the Bradley Inv.

2. If one of the top 4 guys can't make it, can the 5th place guy replace him?

3. Some of the comments on here have been geared, it seems, to try and shame some wrestlers into competing. This is not the right approach. Lets encourage them to do so because of the positive impact a SHOWCASE EVENT like this will have on Tennessee Wrestling.

4. Are their any other states that hold this type of event? I want to say PA does but I am not sure.

Oh well. Lets make it happen. If one of my guys qualify, we'll be there!

This concept was attempted in the first year of the split. It had two Middle Tenn guys backing it and fully funded the tournament. Then there were two problems. First, some coaches would not support the idea and verbally went on record as discouraging their wrestlers from this tournament. Secondly, the host school was Franklin and their principal pulled the facility out from under the two sponsors after initially agreeing to host this event. I can't explain what happened with Franklin and still don't know to this day why they pulled the facility at the end. I like the idea and would come watch.

I think the problem you will run into is that when a state champion from one side is fearful of not winning the tournament they will most likely not attend. This will be in an attempt to not tarnish what he has already done. Although, I do not agree with this philosophy, I would bet you can count on it happening. So, with this likely to happen who will come to watch? Just some questions I think you should consider.

I would like to see the state tournament finals happen around 2 PM on that Saturday instead of the 4 PM start. Then at 7 pm that same night bring both the state champions back for a dual meet. This way no body has to make weight again on another weekend. The facility is already rented with plenty of space and enough fans and enough action to make come back for more.

Each Wrestler has his individual coach, but there is a D1 and DII Head coach or coordinator to be the point of communication with the officials and overall team strategy OF THE DUAL. If the number one wrestler pulls out then number two is invited or down the line and this could become a MUST TAKE PART EVENT as the years go by. What a showcase for all to see.

Kenwood is in Clarksville.

Sommmers/Blosser

Edited by Sommers

A dual meet would clearly run afoul of the all-star rule. But if it's the wrestlers competing on their own, that should be classed as an independent competition, which is allowed as long as it's outside the season (in the case of wrestling--golfers, tennis players, and bowlers can play independently at any time).

I believe he mentioned getting an AAU sanction. That or USAW would be needed to provide insurance.

Silverpie,

The problem is that the individuals allowed to compete have to place in the top 4 of d1 or d2. The only way for this to work and be ok with the TSSAA is for all wrestlers, regardless of ability to be allowed to enter. Now you could have a tournament and take the top 4 SENIORS in d1 or d2 and you would be ok. The current proposal would make the underclassmen ineligible for the 2004-05 season.

Johnny,

I admire the idea and fully understand why everyone would want to see something of this magnitude, but there are some things to consider.

1. To address the hopes of starting the finals @2:00 and having a Dual @ 4:00.

DI Wrestlers would have just completed 3 days of competition along with the DII Wrestlers competing for 2. From a physical and emotional perspective it is not practicle and we all know it is not going to happen.

2. Coaches and Athletes are working to PEAK at the right time just for this tournament and to go again the next weekend is going to be tough. Remember how exhausting this tournament really is and how it takes days to just recover and heal up. The Wrestlers will be battered and physically exhausted after this tournament and to try and prepare for even a more intense situation the following weekend is asking a little much. Imagine an NCAA DI Champion having to prepare the very next week for a tournament w/ the other Divisional Champions. Do you honestly think they would be ready for that? I feel for this event to even have a chance, it would need to be held at a later date.

3. I am all for ONE Tournament, but it's not going to happen! This is a "Dead Dog" topic going no where.

4. This is a great idea, I just don't know where it can fit in.

You really are impressive! I love the way you are constantly working to develope our sport. Not by draining it, but always trying to find a way to give something back. Good for You!

Steve Henry