This Thread is Too Funny

itzme

when you win a couple of state championships everyone is going to want to come play for you.so they can win and so they can be recognized by some colleges. im not saying whether maryville recruits or not nor do i care. but what i am saying is that in 3,4, and 5a ball you dont have to play the private schools so its not as much of an everyday battle for you. if you recruit you are breaking the rules and its not fair no doubt about it. but its not as obvious on the field in the bigger classifications.but when a goodpasture or lipscomb beats up on some small public school it is way more obvious and way more unfair. those small 1 and 2a teams arent capable of recruiting even if they wanted to and dont stand a chance.yet they have to sit back and wait to get it stuck to them again the next year.recruiting is a problem in all classifications but i guess what im saying is quit whining about it if your in one of the bigger classes.youve got enough athletes to get by its not like that down here in small ball.imsure this sounds like total nonsense to most of you but if youve played in the smaller schools you understand what im saying.

when and how can they kick carter out of tssaa?

and how long until tssaa screws something else up?

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Baldcoach says: "Your post is exactly what I was talking about. All of those schools you mentioned have just as big a pool to pull from as the small privates. S. Pitt is actually open zoned, so their pool is even bigger. "

I must disagree with you on S. Pitt having a bigger pool than Boyd (or most any other DI private). Marion County is indeed open zoned, but if you put Whitwell, S. Pitt, Marion County, Richard Hardy, Valley of Praise, and any other little school in Marion County together you still only have a 4A or small 5A school.

So the amount of high school aged students that SP could possibly pull is around 1000.

Let's look at Boyd. Boyd can pull students from Chattanooga City, Hamilton County, North Georgia, North Alabama, Bradley County, Rhea County, Polk County, Sequatchie County, oh and uh MARION COUNTY.

As a matter of fact, if I am not mistake one of the best players on Boyd's championship team last year is from Marion County. Interesting. So SPitt can only get students from Marion County and you guys can get them from all over and from the same area SPitt gets them.

Now who has a "bigger drawing pool?"

Let's look at Boyd.  Boyd can pull students from Chattanooga City, Hamilton County, North Georgia, North Alabama, Bradley County, Rhea County, Polk County, Sequatchie County, oh and uh MARION COUNTY.

CSense,

You conveniently omitted the other vital point that Baldcoach makes as a part of his post. How many families from this list are willing to pay $6000 per year to attend Boyd?

I believe the kids in Marion County receive a free education from the public schools there, right? Quite a difference, right?

Edited by gobigred

Boys we can all wrap up this debate once and for all! The TSSAA is not going to split anyone out! We will have some sort of new classification plan and ther MAY be some type of multiplier placed on URBAN schools.

For too long, I lead the debate for a split. That battle is over, we lost. Now let's see what happens next month in Nashville.

Baldcoach says: "Your post is exactly what I was talking about. All of those schools you mentioned have just as big a pool to pull from as the small privates. S. Pitt is actually open zoned, so their pool is even bigger. "

I must disagree with you on S. Pitt having a bigger pool than Boyd (or most any other DI private). Marion County is indeed open zoned, but if you put Whitwell, S. Pitt, Marion County, Richard Hardy, Valley of Praise, and any other little school in Marion County together you still only have a 4A or small 5A school.

So the amount of high school aged students that SP could possibly pull is around 1000.

Let's look at Boyd. Boyd can pull students from Chattanooga City, Hamilton County, North Georgia, North Alabama, Bradley County, Rhea County, Polk County, Sequatchie County, oh and uh MARION COUNTY.

As a matter of fact, if I am not mistake one of the best players on Boyd's championship team last year is from Marion County. Interesting. So SPitt can only get students from Marion County and you guys can get them from all over and from the same area SPitt gets them.

Now who has a "bigger drawing pool?"

Actually I have to disagree...Boyd COULD get students from all those counties, but certainly not many...the drive + cost + stigma = just a few. It is true that there are several students at Boyd from Marion County...always have been. Several from Cleveland too...and North Georgia. But the small privates HAVE to take kids from a larger geographic area to fill their classes up...their potential student population density is lower and limited by several factors.

As Bigred posted there is a $6000 pricetag associated with Boyd and a similar one at most of the small privates...that is limiter #1.

Limiter #2 is that many of those families who could pay $6000 a year can also pay $12000 a year and do so...at Baylor, McCallie, or GPS (or Webb to the North or GAC to the South).

Limiter #3 is that there are now 6 small private schools with similar missions and prices in the area, so the limited pool of students able to pay and willing to pay is split 6 ways.

Limiter #4 is the academic, social, and spiritual standards that religious privates look for in their students.

Limiter #5 is that many families choose to send their children to the school that they attended, which is a public school for most of the population.

Limiter #6 is that most small privates (Boyd included) have a limited amount of space and can't accomodate more than 300 - 350 students at a time.

And Limiter #7 is money...if we had limitless funds we could just go DivII and offer lots of financial aid...it would increase our potential student population...but like most small privates there just never seems to be enough to do all the we want now...much less enough to let a lot of kids go to school for reduced cost.

Thus I would contend that the 1a privates have about the same potential pool of students as the 1a publics. After all, if they had a much larger pool they wouldn't be 1a, would they??

Boys we can all wrap up this debate once and for all! The TSSAA is not going to split anyone out! We will have some sort of new classification plan and ther MAY be some type of multiplier placed on URBAN schools.

For too long, I lead the debate for a split. That battle is over, we lost. Now let's see what happens next month in Nashville.

As I have said, I was dead against the split as I thought (and still think) that it was discrimination pure and simple.

I am not happy about multipliers but I do understand the argument for them and it does have some merit.

Then again, compromise rarely leaves anyone happy...it just keeps everyone from coming out fighting.

A few questions for the old Bald coach:

1. How long will it take the less expensive private schools in Chattanooga (like Temple) to catch up with you guys in football?

2. Does CCS have any plans to start a football team?

3. What will your school do if you're forced up to AA or AAA?

Wow, csence and I agree on something.

Thanks MrSD. Good to hear from you. I've been keeping up with your posts about the new coach at SD over on the football thread that I cannot post on because I am not a plus member because I can't afford to be, nor can I afford to send my child to Boyd (oh no I guess I'm one of those unfortunate ones that GBR and Baldcoach spoke of). Oh well, the rich just keep on getting richer and the poor poorer. It is sad that they have to bring money and social class into this debate and skip by the MAIN POINT I WAS TRYING TO MAKE when I said

Boyd(and other DI privates) can accept students from anywhere they want INCLUDING the same area as the small publics, but the small publics can't accept students from most of the DI private "zones" and somehow that is fair.

They have to start whining about household income, driving distance, cost of education as being "limiters" to their blessed schools.

There is no point in bringing out the "limiters" all public schools have, I think Pujo has tried, but they turn a deaf ear to it.

A few questions for the old Bald coach:

1. How long will it take the less expensive private schools in Chattanooga (like Temple) to catch up with you guys in football?

2. Does CCS have any plans to start a football team?

3. What will your school do if you're forced up to AA or AAA?

1) Haven't a clue. Temple has always had good kids and coaches, and they are very competitive in the sports that they have. On the other hand it took us about 15 years of getting punished before we managed to build the program enough to be good year in and year out. Maybe they can do it faster, maybe not. Same applies to David Brainerd and Silverdale.

2) Not that I have heard, but with Temple, Brainerd, and Silverdale all jumping on the Football bandwagon who knows? CCS and Grace may decide to start programs of their own.

3) Last time I talked to Coach Akins about it he seemed to think that we would stay in Div I. The travel and expense of DivII really is prohibitive for schools like Boyd. And the principal is not a big fan of getting out of school early for any reason, so the logistics of a DII schedule would be tough. Also Boyd simply doesn't have the financial resources to offer kids financial aid, so DivI is the proper division for us.

AA would be a tough division with Tyner...they had more D1 prospects on this year's team than any team I have ever seen. And there is some lasting bad feeling between our staff and theirs since they ran the score up on us in '98 (I think) and beat us like 92 - 6. We played 2 of the AAA teams this year (Walker Valley and Howard). They were quality programs with good kids and coaches. Truth is that neither the AA region or the AAA region has tougher teams in this area than S. Pitt but the general level of play is probably a bit higher. It would be a challenge.

Thanks MrSD. Good to hear from you. I've been keeping up with your posts about the new coach at SD over on the football thread that I cannot post on because I am not a plus member because I can't afford to be, nor can I afford to send my child to Boyd (oh no I guess I'm one of those unfortunate ones that GBR and Baldcoach spoke of). Oh well, the rich just keep on getting richer and the poor poorer. It is sad that they have to bring money and social class into this debate and skip by the MAIN POINT I WAS TRYING TO MAKE when I said

Boyd(and other DI privates) can accept students from anywhere they want INCLUDING the same area as the small publics, but the small publics can't accept students from most of the DI private "zones" and somehow that is fair.

They have to start whining about household income, driving distance, cost of education as being "limiters" to their blessed schools.

There is no point in bringing out the "limiters" all public schools have, I think Pujo has tried, but they turn a deaf ear to it.

Once again C...not whining, just stating facts.

Answer this, if the privates have a much larger pool to choose from than the publics then why are any of them still 1a?

Possible reason 1 - they can't take more than x students and don't want to so they turn hundreds of kids down each year.

Possible reason 2 - they don't really have more kids to choose from, the kids are just spread out more.

Possible reason 3 (taken from the ludicrous zone) - They all care more about athletics than anything else including the welfare of children and they turn them away to stay down in 1a.

Tell me which one you think is the right one?