This Thread is Too Funny

itzme

Most school districts have open zones, they are just not advertised.

You are basically correct, of course. Where there is a will, there is a way so to speak. Some folks seem to want to continue to either kid themselves or live in the past.

If a classification was created for schools that did not let out of zone kids attend for ANY reason EVER, that classification would be VERY small indeed!

Our schools do not accept out of county kids.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My logic of compitition breeds parity does have its flaws. But I feel ...

We can and do compete with Trousdale and Livingston because they are the same as us. They are small publics with no advantage over us.

Antwan,

You have made what one of my college professors called a "broad, sweeping generalization." Are you sure you wanted to say that "...they are the same as us...Trousdale and Livingston have no advantage over us?"

That is saying a lot!

Please expain.

Sorry I have not responded sooner. Been a little busy!

What part did you not understand? To say that ANY school has "no advantage" over ANY OTHER school is too broad. If two schools are "the same," then they are the same school!

Go back and read the context of the question and answer. They are both relatively in the same boat as us. They are both public schools in small rural counties. Is that close enough for you Professor Super?

All I could go on was what you said. You said the schools were "the same."

Words have meanings.

I would postulate that ANY SCHOOL could stake a claim to at least one advantage over ANY OTHER SCHOOL. The question becomes, "How do you define an advantage as being 'unfair?'" It seems to me that your definition of "unfair advantage" stops at "small," "rural" and "public."

Sincerely,

"Professor" supersteve17

Professor...if I corrected every mistake or statement literally on this site...that would take up all of my time.

Antwan and others on here can try to wish this trend away, but the evidence says that the days of strictly zoned public schools are numbered. The change may be a few years away in some areas, but it is coming. Today's parents of public school children demand a choice for their kids, and they are going to get it one way or another.

I don't want to "wish" the trend away. I don't know if zones will be a thing of the past. Until then...we'll see what happens. Parents already have the choice of where to live...hence where their children attend school. I am not so naive as to think people don't move for that reason.

The two schools within the county are not zoned.

So they do have a choice within the county, and I would assume that students could choose to go to a nearby county school if they so choose. I would consider this school choice. As I have said before, it would benefit your school system to except students from outside your county. As a coach this would be something that I would fight for within my community in order to better compete with schools that are simular.

So they do have a choice within the county, and I would assume that students could choose to go to a nearby county school if they so choose. I would consider this school choice. As I have said before, it would benefit your school system to except students from outside your county. As a coach this would be something that I would fight for within my community in order to better compete with schools that are simular.

Why would they come here instead of the surrounding counties? The distance does not make it feasible. All of the counties around us offer the same things.

Do you really think someone from Lebanon or Cookeville would drive 25-40 miles one-way to go to school here? Not likely.

"... it would benefit your school system to except students from outside your county. As a coach this would be something that I would fight for within my community in order to better compete with schools that are simular."

unfortunately (?) public schools do not have the latitude to determine their own "mission". if a private school bends its admission policies to favor athletic success, they draw families who value athletic success. if a public school attempted to do the same, they would be consumed in a firestorm of protest.

the only out-of-county students about whom i have knowledge come from either city school systems which cross county lines (tullahoma is in coffee, moore, and franklin counties) or students who live right on the county line, and are much closer to the "out-of-county" school, or whose parent(s) work in a city in the other county, and do it for transportation convenience. i know of none who accept students merely because they pay "tuition". are there some individuals who take advantage of the system? i am sure there are, but are they making up 15 & 20% of the athletes in a school, hardly.

Why would they come here

They would come for the same reasons students from Wilson Co. go to DCA, the athlete may not be able to play at the 5-A level. Smith Co. should be able to attract lots of athletes who are on the bubble for playing time. I am sure there are athletes who only contribute their senior year at Cookville or Wilson Central that could have went to Smith Co. and started as a Sophmore. How do you think South Pitt keeps on turning out these Athletes. They get the kids that can't or don't want to play at North Jackson. You have mentioned many times how you feel that your school is competitive. How much better would it be if you had one or two athletes from one of the 5-A schools in your surrounding counties. It could be the advantage that puts you way ahead of a Goodpasture or Lipscomb. Just food for thought, if your hungry.

If it would benefit a school system to enroll students from outside the county enough to fight for because other schools do it then the other schools are most certainly NOT similar to yours. By wanting enrollment boundaries to change you are absolutely saying your boundaries (rules) are different than someone elses, hence THE SCHOOLS ARE NOT SIMILAR and this is what I have said all along. Thanks gov.

unfortunately (?) public schools do not have the latitude to determine their own "mission".

Laz, all public schools that are a part of SACS are reqiured to have a mission statement. Granted this mission statement isn't going to state that it's main purpose is to succed in athletics, but don't expect me to agree that a private schools mission is anymore athletic based than your average public. And yes school systems do except students into there system because for every student in there system they recieve federal money. If you are a part of these systems that you have mentioned then you must know that they compete over students all the time. Any County that gets a student to attend who lives inside the city limits is money in there pocket and out of the city systems pocket. Counties have to give the city school system a percentage of bond issued money based on the distribution of daily attendence. If 1/3 of the students go to a city school then that system gets 1/3 of the money raised by the bond issue. So if they have room, a system will let him in for any reason, not just athletics. And yes these systems will use athletics to attract kids from each other.

They would come for the same reasons students from Wilson Co. go to DCA, the athlete may not be able to play at the 5-A level. Smith Co. should be able to attract lots of athletes who are on the bubble for playing time. I am sure there are athletes who only contribute their senior year at Cookville or Wilson Central that could have went to Smith Co. and started as a Sophmore. How do you think South Pitt keeps on turning out these Athletes. They get the kids that can't or don't want to play at North Jackson. You have mentioned many times how you feel that your school is competitive. How much better would it be if you had one or two athletes from one of the 5-A schools in your surrounding counties. It could be the advantage that puts you way ahead of a Goodpasture or Lipscomb. Just food for thought, if your hungry.

All they have to do is move inside the county. That would be more feasible.

"don't expect me to agree that a private schools mission is anymore athletic based than your average public."

Brentwood Academy.

"school systems do except students into there system because for every student in there system they recieve federal money"

federal money is not the whole budget. also, if i understood you correctly, you are saying that money would transfer between a city system and it's county, which seems a reasonable expectation. but i am fairly certain that, if a kid from alabama goes to so pitt, alabama is not going to send money to fund his education. likewise, if a kid from rogersville went to sneedville (the commute from heck), i dont believe that hancock county would receive any money from hawkins. the school system i am in has a sort of "open" zoning, but the more desired schools vigorously resist kids from out of their area, because they are fighting overcrowding. the only way to get in from another county would be to have a parent on the faculty. the coaches have no say as to who gets in. and IF a kid transferred in just to participate in athletics, the parents of the kids from within the area would revolt.