This Thread is Too Funny

itzme

How does a kid get into Tyner? What is their selection process?

I`m not sure Antwan exactly how they do it. But this conversation is based on advantages. I originally asked you if open zone schools have an advantage over Smith County. Tyner is allowed to accept kids from all over Hamilton County. Do you think that gives them an advantage over the area that Smith County gets their kids?

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VG,

I really don't know about Tyner.  Please enlighten me.  Where do they get their players?  I really don't know.

Antwan..Tyner Academy is located in Chattanooga. It`s a magnet school and they are open to all of Hamllton County.

Theoretically it is like all magnet schools...first come first serve with a waiting list.

How does a kid get into Tyner?  What is their selection process?

I`m not sure Antwan exactly how they do it. But this conversation is based on advantages. I originally asked you if open zone schools have an advantage over Smith County. Tyner is allowed to accept kids from all over Hamilton County. Do you think that gives them an advantage over the area that Smith County gets their kids?

You have to sign up and it is allocated on some type of lottery.

VG,

I really don't know about Tyner.  Please enlighten me.  Where do they get their players?  I really don't know.

Antwan..Tyner Academy is located in Chattanooga. It`s a magnet school and they are open to all of Hamllton County.

Theoretically it is like all magnet schools...first come first serve with a waiting list.

Every magnet school I know of has a lottery. I don't see that they could get any players they want if that is the case. If that IS the case...I don't see that they would have any advantage over public or private schools.

If they can pick their players...then they have the same advantage as private schools. I don't suspect they can.

Edited by Antwan

I think you're probably right about the magnets, Antwan. I know the Nashville magnets are lottery based, and ELA said Tyner is and I would assume that if Tyner is, the other Hamilton magnets are as well. Don't know about the Madison magnets. If a kid can't get in except by a lottery, I don't think you can consider it as a truly open zone.

Edited by 1AMAN

Magnets have a lottery and then as slots open they are first come first served off of a list. Because of that the only grade that is really determined by a lottery is the first one in the school...

I personally don't think that Tyner is doing anything out of the ordinary. They were a fine Football team before they became a Magnet. Still, a lot of the public coaches I have talked to call them Tyner Football Academy and claim that somehow some of their best athletes mysteriously get in...I choose to believe the best until proven wrong. After all, I hear the same things said about us all the time too, and I know how untrue it is.

As for advantages...Tyner and all the Magnets are open zoned, so they have a potential pool of the whole County. If that is an advantage then they have it, if not then not.

Magnets have a lottery and then as slots open they are first come first served off of a list. Because of that the only grade that is really determined by a lottery is the first one in the school...

I personally don't think that Tyner is doing anything out of the ordinary. They were a fine Football team before they became a Magnet. Still, a lot of the public coaches I have talked to call them Tyner Football Academy and claim that somehow some of their best athletes mysteriously get in...I choose to believe the best until proven wrong. After all, I hear the same things said about us all the time too, and I know how untrue it is.

As for advantages...Tyner and all the Magnets are open zoned, so they have a potential pool of the whole County. If that is an advantage then they have it, if not then not.

How is the freshman class chosen each year...is it by lottery? If not...then how?

Just like private schools, open zone schools can get kids from anywhere. If you can call private schools as having an advantage then you should also recognize that public schools have them as well. That`s just plain and simple to see...it`s common sense and doesn`t take a brain scientist to figure it out

It also does not take a brain scientist to figure out that open zoned rural areas do not have the same advantage as open zoned urban areas (in 1a and 2a).

What exactly is a brain scientist? Is that a cross between a brain surgeon and rocket scientist? Maybe it's a double major. :D

Edited by Antwan

Do you think it is fair for us to be in the same football region with Goodpasture and David Lipscomb?

Antwan, having admitted that you have a facilities advantage over Jackson Co. do you think that it is fair for you to be in their region.

Every magnet school I know of has a lottery. I don't see that they could get any players they want if that is the case.

Tyner Academy is a magnet school with in a community school. There are several examples of this. I believe that Pearl Cohn out of nashville is another example of this. They have a small zone in which they are able to draw regular students that are not apart of the magnet school and offer them a regular curriculum. I also think that these schools have to meet certain racial percentages so its not just first come first serve. If the school doesn't have enough qualified applicants in a certain racial make-up they have to take someone who is a partial qualifier. So there is some room for selective students. I have heard that MLK in nashville is notorious for getting the good basketball player admitted into there school.

Antwan, having admitted that you have a facilities advantage over Jackson Co. do you think that it is fair for you to be in their region.

Tyner Academy is a magnet school with in a community school. There are several examples of this. I believe that Pearl Cohn out of nashville is another example of this. They have a small zone in which they are able to draw regular students that are not apart of the magnet school and offer them a regular curriculum. I also think that these schools have to meet certain racial percentages so its not just first come first serve. If the school doesn't have enough qualified applicants in a certain racial make-up they have to take someone who is a partial qualifier. So there is some room for selective students. I have heard that MLK in nashville is notorious for getting the good basketball player admitted into there school.

I said that our basketball facilities were even. I guess you are referring to basketball...right? What kind of question is that anyway? Are you trying to be a comedian?

I really don't know enough about magnets yet to have an opinion. If they have an unfair advantage...they should be considered the same as privates.

I think you're probably right about the magnets, Antwan. I know the Nashville magnets are lottery based, and ELA said Tyner is and I would assume that if Tyner is, the other Hamilton magnets are as well. Don't know about the Madison magnets. If a kid can't get in except by a lottery, I don't think you can consider it as a truly open zone.

Most of the Hamilton County magnet schools don't play football! Some are based on FINE ART (Choir, band, theater, painting and commercial art) others are based on science or technology. Tyner is the only one that has football. I would never say that some coach couldn't pull some strings and get a kid in, I just don't know if it happens? As far as I know, a parent has to sign up for the schools, then they have a selection process. As large as the school system is, I would think it would require some serious manipulation to get the boys in the wanted, so I doubt too much of that goes on. Still, they do produce one of the finest AA programs in the state and may drop down to 1A if the private multiplier goes through because the CLASS A schools will go up to about 400.