This Thread is Too Funny

itzme

I apoligize for assuming, I am just confused about your motives for a split. I guess I need to ask you the question about why you do not want to compete with a private school. Is it because you don't think you can compete with them or is it because you don't want to compete with them? My arguement was based on the assumption that you felt that Smith Co. isn't able to compete with private schools. I assume that you feel that they are able to compete with Trousdale or other public schools in your classification. If you feel like you cannot compete with privates, what would it take for Smith Co. to do so. If you feel that you can compete, then my assumption is you want the split to to eliminate your competition. Which is what I have felt are the motives behind the split by most institutions. But this is just my opinion, which doesn't amount to much in the big picture.

We can and have competed with the 2a privates. We do not WANT to be in the same region...or class...because they have an unfair advantages. We all know what those advantages are. It is not about winning and losing. If it was...we would have stayed in 2a. It's about gate...it's about playing teams that play with the same rules. Again...if the privates don't have advantages...why the multiplier talk? Evidently someone agrees with me.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My logic of compitition breeds parity does have its flaws. But I feel ...

We can and do compete with Trousdale and Livingston because they are the same as us. They are small publics with no advantage over us.

Antwan,

You have made what one of my college professors called a "broad, sweeping generalization." Are you sure you wanted to say that "...they are the same as us...Trousdale and Livingston have no advantage over us?"

That is saying a lot!

Please expain.

. We do not WANT to be in the same region...or class...because they have an unfair advantages.

If a public school has an advantage, which I believe some do, are you going to petition the TSSAA not to have to compete with them because of there advantage. When does it end. I know I can never change your mind because the anger and hatred that you have for the privates runs too deep. I also realize that those of us that are a part of tennessee high school athletics need people like you to make sure that the small rural schools have a voice. But there must be room for compromise. All I am asking is for you not to take your ball and go home just because you don't get your way. If a multiplier can be used as a compromise by both privates and publics, use your energy to come up with a number in which you feel best benefits your school as well as what is best for athletics in general. Saying there is no compromise is not going to benefit anyone.

Gov,

Good post. I agree with your sentiments.

Getting back to the original subject of this topic. Two kids in one family transferring to one high school and a brother staying at another high school. If this situation happened at a private school, would you guys view this in the same way?

If a public school has an advantage, which I believe some do, are you going to petition the TSSAA not to have to compete with them because of there advantage. When does it end. I know I can never change your mind because the anger and hatred that you have for the privates runs too deep. I also realize that those of us that are a part of tennessee high school athletics need people like you to make sure that the small rural schools have a voice. But there must be room for compromise. All I am asking is for you not to take your ball and go home just because you don't get your way. If a multiplier can be used as a compromise by both privates and publics, use your energy to come up with a number in which you feel best benefits your school as well as what is best for athletics in general. Saying there is no compromise is not going to benefit anyone.

Again...there is NO hatred on my part. I don't hate 5a publics...but I don't want to be in the same region with Oakland and Riverdale either. Is there room for compromise...probably too late for that. A multiplier would bring the same problems. A 2.0 multiplier would (theoretically) put BA in 2a. What does that help? We would play CPA, DCA, Ezell, FRA, etc. instead of Goodpasture and David Lipscomb. All that does is make us have to play different teams in Nashville with even smaller gates and the same advantages. I really see this new small class association as a real possibility.

By the way...where were you when the privates were going to take their ball and go home if a split were to occur?

If things stay as they are...I am sure we would stay in 3a. Goodpasture would probably be the only private in 3a (assuming a 2.0 multiplier). I guess only 1 to deal with would be better than 15.

where were you when the privates were going to take their ball and go home if a split were to occur?

I was laughing because, like you I realize the private schools need us more than we need them. Look at the super seven, its not much of a state championship, thats why all the super seven want the split to happen because beating the same teams over and over again isn't much fun. You are correct when you say that public schools draw better and create better gates.

Gov,

If the Super 7 is not much of a state championship why would you not want to play them. Heck, Riverdale or any of the other 5A schools don't want to play them for a state championship. The super 7 is the most difficult division is Tennessee football with the bottom teams having the ability to play with the top 5A schools. If it is such a joke then why do you think that all of the 4A and 5A schools are against a multiplier that would place the Super 7 teams back with everyone else?

If the Super 7 is not much of a state championship why would you not want to play them.

Oh, don't get me wrong cbg, I think everyone should be back in, maybe with a multiplier (urban and private) or some other alternative to try to level the playing field (which I really don't think you will be able to make everything equal) but being the best of 7 schools is really not rewarding. On the flip side, not playing the best to be the best leaves doubt about who really is the best team. Whats best for high school ahletics is when the best compete against best no matter what classification. Yes, you have different classifications to help schools compete. but what is really fun for the athletes and the school communities is when the best play the best. Like Giles Co. vs Brentwood Academy, Giles Co. vs Bradley, in Basketball, Ezell- Harding Vs Brentwood High in softball, MBA vs Riverdale, Tyner vs. McCallie in football, these are just a few examples that I could give. These types of games provide a great atmosphere and coverage for high school athletics. In a time of budget cuts and less emphasis on athletics, we need to generate as much interest as we can to increase the support for high school athletics. Instead of spliting we need to find common ground and join together to promote athletics at the high school level. Lets take steps forward not backwards. Instead of debating the differences and finding reasons to split we need to look at common ground and find solutions to problems to stay together. There are lots of issues that are a concern for many, Open-zoned vs Zoned, Financial aid vs Non-financial aid, Urban vs Rural, Endowed vs. Non-endowed, are just a few. As you can see it goes much deeper than just Private vs. Public. I feel that we need to look at all these issues and find the best solution to better high school athletics.

Oh, don't get me wrong cbg, I think everyone should be back in, maybe with a multiplier (urban and private) or some other alternative to try to level the playing field (which I really don't think you will be able to make everything equal) but being the best of 7 schools is really not rewarding. On the flip side, not playing the best to be the best leaves doubt about who really is the best team. Whats best for high school ahletics is when the best compete against best no matter what classification. Yes, you have different  classifications to help schools compete. but what is really fun for the athletes and the school communities is when the best play the best. Like Giles Co. vs Brentwood Academy, Giles Co. vs Bradley, in Basketball, Ezell- Harding Vs Brentwood High in softball,  MBA vs Riverdale, Tyner vs. McCallie in football, these are just a few examples that I could give. These types of games provide a great atmosphere and coverage for high school athletics. In a time of budget cuts and less emphasis on athletics, we need to generate as much interest as we can to increase the support for high school athletics. Instead of spliting we need to find common ground and join together to promote athletics at the high school level. Lets take steps forward not backwards. Instead of debating the differences and finding reasons to split we need to look at common ground and find solutions to problems to stay together. There are lots of issues that are a concern for many, Open-zoned vs Zoned, Financial aid vs Non-financial aid, Urban vs Rural, Endowed vs. Non-endowed, are just a few. As you can see it goes much deeper than just Private vs. Public.  I feel that we need to look at all these issues and find the best solution to better high school athletics.

You may be forgetting that all of the team matchups you mentioned can and do occur now. It's just not in the playoffs. If there were a split...they still could play in the regular season.

Edited by Antwan

You may be forgetting that all of the team matchups you mentioned can and do occur now. It's just not in the playoffs.

This is very true, it may be one of the solutions to the problem; having play-off classifications according to financial aid and non-financial aid, Open zoned and zoned, etc. instead of size of school. My only arguement would be if you are going to compete with them in the regular season why not in the play-offs. Although its not a good arguement, its the only one I could come up with. :D

This is very true, it may be one of the solutions to the problem; having play-off classifications according to financial aid and non-financial aid, Open zoned and zoned, etc. instead of size of school. My only arguement would be if you are going to compete with them in the regular season why not in the play-offs. Although its not a good arguement, its the only one I could come up with. :D

You play those teams in the regular season to get better for the playoffs. It's difficult to get better in the playoffs if you are at home.

My logic of compitition breeds parity does have its flaws. But I feel ...

We can and do compete with Trousdale and Livingston because they are the same as us. They are small publics with no advantage over us.

Antwan,

You have made what one of my college professors called a "broad, sweeping generalization." Are you sure you wanted to say that "...they are the same as us...Trousdale and Livingston have no advantage over us?"

That is saying a lot!

Please expain.

Sorry I have not responded sooner. Been a little busy!

What part did you not understand? To say that ANY school has "no advantage" over ANY OTHER school is too broad. If two schools are "the same," then they are the same school!