This Thread is Too Funny

itzme

Football facilities (advantage us)...

I was refering to this quote. As well as others you have mentioned, educational as well as athletically over Jackson Co. With all the above being true and the basketball facilities being the same as you mentioned, I have to ask why would this girl transfer from your school to Jackson Co. Could it be that the coach is associated with an AAU team, and can give her more opportunities to recieve a college scholarship. The reason you gave about her dad working in Jackson Co. is a legitament reason. If a parent lives in Lenior City and works in Knoxville, is it reasonable that he may send his sibling to Knox Webb, on there way to work. I am not trying to be a comedian, I am just trying to get you to see the forest in spite of the trees. The same reasons that this girl has transferred or moved to Jackson Co. may be the same reasons that apply to urban, private, or in this case one rural school to another. I just can't buy into your Rural can't and doesn't want to compete with private or urban schools. Obviously, in girls basketball your small rural schools must have some advantage over the private-urban schools because of the success of the schools in your region, or could it be that basketball is a priority in these communities.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It also does not take a brain scientist to figure out that open zoned rural areas do not have the same advantage as open zoned urban areas (in 1a and 2a).

What exactly is a brain scientist? Is that a cross between a brain surgeon and rocket scientist? Maybe it's a double major. <_<

Antwan...Why do you refuse to admit the obvious? Milan is a town of 8,000 people. That is their zone. Gibson County (Milan`s County) has 50,000 people. They can easily draw students from within the county. Smith County has lees than 20,000 people. I think (?) that is divided among 2 high schools. Milan has a large advantage over Smith County.

No need to get into an urban/rural debate. This is a rural/rural comparison. I`m comparing apples and apples. Two schools approximately the same size and yet one has the ability to attract kids from a pool that is up to 5 times as big as the other. And I`m leavibng out the fact that Milan is only 19 miles from Jackson. I`m only addressing the population within Gibson County.

It also does not take a brain scientist to figure out that open zoned rural areas do not have the same advantage as open zoned urban areas (in 1a and 2a).

What exactly is a brain scientist?  Is that a cross between a brain surgeon and rocket scientist?  Maybe it's a double major.  :P

Antwan...Why do you refuse to admit the obvious? Milan is a town of 8,000 people. That is their zone. Gibson County (Milan`s County) has 50,000 people. They can easily draw students from within the county. Smith County has lees than 20,000 people. I think (?) that is divided among 2 high schools. Milan has a large advantage over Smith County.

No need to get into an urban/rural debate. This is a rural/rural comparison. I`m comparing apples and apples. Two schools approximately the same size and yet one has the ability to attract kids from a pool that is up to 5 times as big as the other. And I`m leavibng out the fact that Milan is only 19 miles from Jackson. I`m only addressing the population within Gibson County.

VG,

You've talked me into it. I think Milan should be zoned and not be able to accept kids from outside their zone. Gee...isn't that what I have said from day one.

How many other ways do you want me to make that statement.

I was refering to this quote. As well as others you have mentioned, educational as well as athletically over Jackson Co. With all the above being true and the basketball facilities being the same as you mentioned, I have to ask why would this girl transfer from your school to Jackson Co. Could it be that the coach is associated with an AAU team, and can give her more opportunities to recieve a college scholarship. The reason you gave about her dad working in Jackson Co. is a legitament reason. If a parent lives in Lenior City and works in Knoxville, is it reasonable that he may send his sibling to Knox Webb, on there way to work. I am not trying to be a comedian, I am just trying to get you to see the forest in spite of the trees. The same reasons that this girl has transferred or moved to Jackson Co. may be the same reasons that apply to urban, private, or in this case one rural school to another. I just can't buy into your Rural can't and doesn't want to compete with private or urban schools. Obviously, in girls basketball your small rural schools must have some advantage over the private-urban schools because of the success of the schools in your region, or could it be that basketball is a priority in these communities.

Gov...I really don't know why she moved but it is her right to do so. It is a great loss to our program. Also...two of Gordonsville's best boys players would have been zoned to SC (if there were zones). They are currently ranked #2 in class A.

I understand your thought process...but almost every 1a and 2a rural school disagrees with you. Why is that? Look at the results of the playoffs the last several years in most sports. You and others keep using Jackson County as an example. The fact is there is only one DI private school in AA.

VG,

You've talked me into it. I think Milan should be zoned and not be able to accept kids from outside their zone. Gee...isn't that what I have said from day one.

My point is Antwan that this won`t change. Milan will always be getting kids from a much larger area than other schools it competes against.

You on the other hand don`t seem to believe that they should be split or multiplied. Why is that?

VG,

You've talked me into it.  I think Milan should be zoned and not be able to accept kids from outside their zone.  Gee...isn't that what I have said from day one. 

My point is Antwan that this won`t change. Milan will always be getting kids from a much larger area than other schools it competes against.

You on the other hand don`t seem to believe that they should be split or multiplied. Why is that?

Why not just require zones.

Antwan, sorry for the delay in my response.

You are grouping me with all public guys which is a mistake. I...on the other hand...should not group you with all private guys.

Fair enough. It just seems like the "privates have unfair advantages" theme is universal with public school supporters.

Do you really think that you don't have an advantage in all sports?

If I am not mistaken...David Lipscomb is the ONLY DI AA private school. All others in the DI are in A. Of course...they are in our region.

I think both public and private schools have advantages and disadvantages when compared to each other.

Jackson County girls can play with anyone on a given night. I don't really see your point. Jackson County boys are close to last place in the district. Same school...same facilities.

The irony is, of course, that JC is a relatively small rural school. If one swallows the party line of the public supporters on here, it begs the question of how can they possibly field a team that compete with the powerhouse publics and ANY of the privates in the state? I do not know anything about the JC boys program. Perhaps you can tell me why their girls are a top team in the state and the boys are not successful. I have an idea, but I don't know for sure. :P

We both know this debate is mostly about football. Other sports are just a by-product. I see double standards and selfishness on both sides.

I agree, it is primarially a football issue, but the animosity towards private schools permeates all sports now. There are probably those on both sides of the issue that have selfish motives, but a futher split is not the best solution.

Do you think it is fair for us to be in the same football region with Goodpasture and David Lipscomb? Do you think they have advantages over us? Please tell me your opinion.

By the way...congrats on a great season this year. I think you had the best team in the state by far.

A challenge for you, yes. An insurmountable, unfair,advantage for them , no. I don't think the Huntingdon football team would agree with you. I would personally like to see DL and Goodpasture move up either by multiplier or their own decision. I think moving up would strenghten their programs by offering stronger competition during the regular season.

Thanks for mentioning the MBA football program. We have been been blessed with some outstanding skill players the last two years, and as always the coaching staff gets the most out all of the kids. Next year offers a big challenge, especially offensively. We have to replace starters at QB, RB, TE and all WR's.

Edited by gobigred

VG,

You've talked me into it.  I think Milan should be zoned and not be able to accept kids from outside their zone.  Gee...isn't that what I have said from day one. 

How are you going to do that Antwan? Take Memphis for example. They have special classes and study programs at different schools. They open their zones to allow access to all students who wish to take those classes. Do you propose that the TSSAA not allow a kid to play sports if they choose to participate in an academic program only ofered at a school outside his zone?

IMO education is more important than sports. Many school systems have decided that it is best to offer more choice and allow movement among their schol zones. In Jackson for example...Liberty is a technology magnet school. Madison County has set that school up with a state of the art technology program. Rather than try and fund the other high schools with the same type program, they allow kids interested to leave their zoned school and attend Liberty. What it seems that you are proposing is to ban those kids who would like to take advantage of the educational opportunity before them and not allow them a chance to participate in any sports while they are in high school.

Am I right?

Antwan, sorry for the delay in my response.
You are grouping me with all public guys which is a mistake. I...on the other hand...should not group you with all private guys.

Fair enough. It just seems like the "privates have unfair advantages" theme is universal with public school supporters.

Do you really think that you don't have an advantage in all sports?

If I am not mistaken...David Lipscomb is the ONLY DI AA private school. All others in the DI are in A. Of course...they are in our region.

I think both public and private schools have advantages and disadvantages when compared to each other.

Jackson County girls can play with anyone on a given night. I don't really see your point. Jackson County boys are close to last place in the district. Same school...same facilities.

The irony is, of course, that JC is a relatively small rural school. If one swallows the party line of the public supporters on here, it begs the question of how can they possibly field a team that compete with the powerhouse publics and ANY of the privates in the state? I do not know anything about the JC boys program. Perhaps you can tell me why their girls are a top team in the state and the boys are not successful. I have an idea, but I don't know for sure. :P

We both know this debate is mostly about football. Other sports are just a by-product. I see double standards and selfishness on both sides.

I agree, it is primarially a football issue, but the animosity towards private schools permeates all sports now. There are probably those on both sides of the issue that have selfish motives, but a futher split is not the best solution.

Do you think it is fair for us to be in the same football region with Goodpasture and David Lipscomb? Do you think they have advantages over us? Please tell me your opinion.

By the way...congrats on a great season this year. I think you had the best team in the state by far.

A challenge for you, yes. An insurmountable, unfair,advantage for them , no. I don't think the Huntingdon football team would agree with you. I would personally like to see DL and Goodpasture move up either by multiplier or their own decision. I think moving up would strenghten their programs by offering stronger competition during the regular season.

Thanks for mentioning the MBA football program. We have been been blessed with some outstanding skill players the last two years, and as always the coaching staff gets the most out all of the kids. Next year offers a big challenge, especially offensively. We have to replace starters at QB, RB, TE and all WR's.

I really don't know why JC's boys are not as good. I do know they probably have one of if not the best coach in the state. They have had some very good boys teams in the past also...but not on the level of their girls. I don't even know who their boys coach is. They are only competing with one private school in their division.

I don't think I have ever said that we couldn't compete with GP and DL. We did compete well with them when they were in our region. Tell me this...if DL had beaten Huntingdon the way Huntingdon did them...would you still think that the playing field was even? It is not just a one year deal. You have to look at the last several years. There are only 2 privates in DI 2a. Both have been at the top of the division for the last 5 or 6 years. Who else can say that? Milan has been pretty good. I can't think of anyone else that has been as good as those 2 teams. You could argue that it's coaching.

Maybe...that certainly is a factor. How do they keep getting great athletes? Lipscomb is usually a senior dominated team every year. They just reload. They two platoon mostly. How many 2a teams do that? Not many.

VG,

How are you going to do that Antwan? Take Memphis for example. They have special classes and study programs at different schools. They open their zones to allow access to all students who wish to take those classes. Do you propose that the TSSAA not allow a kid to play sports if they choose to participate in an academic program only ofered at a school outside his zone?

IMO education is more important than sports. Many school systems have decided that it is best to offer more choice and allow movement among their schol zones. In Jackson for example...Liberty is a technology magnet school. Madison County has set that school up with a state of the art technology program. Rather than try and fund the other high schools with the same type program, they allow kids interested to leave their zoned school and attend Liberty. What it seems that you are proposing is to ban those kids who would like to take advantage of the educational opportunity before them and not allow them a chance to participate in any sports while they are in high school.

Am I right?

Does Liberty have sports programs? In rural areas...kids make that choice.

You should be able to play sports at the school you attend. You should not be able to play sports at a school you do not attend.

Yes they do have sports programs.

How do you propose that the TSSAA tell those kids that transfer to Libert they can`t play sports? How do you tell kids that attend Milan that aren`t from the Milan zone that they can`t play? It would have been a shame to see Rod Smith (2A Mr. Football nominee and all-state player) just walking the halls because the TSSAA told him he could not play.

Should you rethink your idea about the TSSAA making a rule that says all schools have to have zones?

Yes they do have sports programs.

How do you propose that the TSSAA tell those kids that transfer to Libert they can`t play sports?  How do you tell kids that attend Milan that aren`t from the Milan zone that they can`t play? It would have been a shame to see Rod Smith (2A Mr. Football nominee and all-state player) just walking the halls because the TSSAA told him he could not play.

Should you rethink your idea about the TSSAA making a rule that says all schools have to have zones?

Don't you think that if he was faced with that...he would have moved into Milan's zone? If those kids transfer to Liberty then they should be able to play. If you go to a school...you should be able to play there unless transfer rules are violated. If a kid transfers for academic reasons...under the guidelines of magnet schools...it should be treated as a legal transfer. There are many gray areas the way things are now. I can see how the rules could be exploited. Evidently Liberty has not done that because I have never heard of them.

All public schools should be zoned. I don't think it is right what is going on in Memphis. I also don't think it is right for kids to be able to pay tuition and go to Maryville or Milan. Their zones should be for kids in those zones.

Edited by Antwan