Best Radio Play-By Play

Challenger

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wes,

I always enjoyed listening to you and the other guys at BA. You were all very honest and insightful. Yet you were very complimentary of both teams as well.

Even though I knew BA was paying for it, I always thought it was great!

Thanks, though I only had a small part in it. Scott and Bill do a great job calling the games, and it was fun to join them in the booth as the third man. They know the game and they have excellent senses of humor. I miss the days in the booth with them. :D

Like Threeball, Tim Smith from Oneida is my favorite. He isn't the best I've heard as far as mechanics and doesn't have the best radio voice but he does a very good job describing the game. He's one of the few high school broadcasters I have heard who are actually enjoyable to listen to.

The guys at 101.3 FM WECO in Wartburg - Keith Adcock and Ray Tucker - do a very good job also, in both football and basketball.

robin francis of wtne-trenton is very good. he calls a game as unbiased as possible and is very descriptive and is on time and accurate with stats. ireally look forward to his broadcasts. very seldom do you hear him complain about officials like alot of game announcers .he is a class act as much as i can tell from listening. (when he does get on the refs you believe him. ) i listen to many broadcasts and in my opinion he's the best. keep up the good work,robin. (whatever they pay him ,its not enough.) jack ....halls

I would have to agree with chsbbfan that Dave Clary on WATO is possibly one of the worst that I have heard. He uses the same phrases over and over and talks about things that have nothing to do with the game. Half of the time you don't have clue as to which quarter the game is in and sometime he will go for a long period of time without giving the score. He never describes the offense or defense that the teams are running. Maybe because he doesn't know. Probably the most annoying thing he does is to make fun of players names and their physical attributes. Just call the game. Also, he gives opinions about the officials and to me that is totally uncalled for. Not only about the calls they are making but also about how they look or act. The helpers that he uses are usually high school kids and that is fine. I guess that they have to learn someplace but it seems to me that High School Broadcasting class would be better. Surely a town the size of Oak Ridge would have some people that know basketball that would be willing to help him with the broadcast. Enough of the worst.

The best that I have heard is Bobby Rader. He does an excellent job in any game that he broadcast.

Wes "The Beast" Holtsclaw is no doubt the best announcer this side of the Mason Dixon Line. He is a cross between Keith Jackson and Brent Musburger. When I hear him call a baseball game kinda reminds me of Curt Gowdy. I look for him to be working with TBS or ESPN in the near future. No bad for an old Roan Mountain boy born and raised in the foothills of "Buck Mountain." Makes me proud of my Heritage and the good folks that live around me. Best of Luck "Wes" move over Jim Rome!