Evaluation: Where are we now...

CoachT

In my opinion, the 1.8 multiplier is a reality. Therefore, all the arguments concerning how we got here are no longer relevant. For those of you who disagree, and I'm sure there are some, then there are ongoing threads to continue that discussion. For me the question is "where are we now"?

The main question I will want to see answered, on the playing fields beginning in 2005, is can the schools that moved up because of the multiplier still compete:

Can Ezell-Harding, if they regain the level they were two years ago, compete in 2A as they did in 1A? Same question for CPA, DCA, USJ, Boyd, and every other team that moved up. Again, can they compete IF they have the best teams, or teams equal to the best, that they have ever had? Same thing for Goodpasture and DL in 3A.

Can Collinwood, Cloudland, South Pitt, etc compete for the state championship with teams in the future as good as teams they have had recently?

If the answer to the above is yes then the multiplier was the right thing to do. IF the teams that moved up have a CHANCE to wn the state, provided they reach the same level they were in their best 1A years, then the multiplier was the thing to do.

Any discussion is welcome but remember, this is where we now are. We have a multiplier. All of the discussion of how, why, etc is in the past.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CoachT I agree, the new multiplier is now a fact of life, the split is not going to happen, so I think the main thrust of the long debate is over. Anymore public/private arguments (debates) are just that, arguments (debates). Class AA schools will hate playing the privates and some of them will not be able to compete, but they are far better doing so than the smallest rural class "A" schools. I think the debate is over.

Coacht-

Part I- We may never know! The scuttle around southeast TN is that all the current 2A region teams (Grundy, Marion, and Sequatchie, etc...) are considering or have already decided to jump to 3A for the sole purpose of avoiding Boyd. My personal feelings are that there is very little difference in A and AA (and AAA in some years) football until you get to the finals.

The teams that have built solid programs will continue to be successful as far as win/loss stats go until you reach the ceiling of numbers which is (IMO) at the 4A level. I don't see any 1A school ever being capable of competing with a 4A powerhouse.

Part II- will the 1A publics now be competitive w/each other? Pack up the gold ball and ship it to South Pitt 3 of the next 4 years. They would have won it this year if Boyd wasn't in their region. Any programs that make running from competition their MO are living on borrowed time. Someone, somewhere will step into the gap you made.

I only wish that this was a dead issue and the "moving the problem up" crowd would let history record whether the multiplier is a good idea or not. There was absolutely no research that would merit a multiplier higher than 1.5. The 1.8 was a "tweener" number that impacted selected schools. I have yet to hear one private school leader speak out against the multiplier, though.

Oh for a merit based classification system. Maybe, just maybe the whining would stop.

Edited by 37421

Sorry coach...

The title of your thread was where are we now? Since the 1.8 multiplier was just voted on less than a week ago, I figured that still constituted as now.

BTW...It may be rehashing to you, but remember it is not rehashing to new folks in the debate.

Personally I don`t care if private schools do well or not with the 1.8. They aren`t owed anything just like the 1A publics were owed anything. If the privates don`t like it then tough! It`s the same stance I took with the 1A publics. Just play ball and shut up. Nothing will ever be totally fair. The 1.8 only touched on part of the inequities, but if we need to make changes, it was a start.

It doesn`t matter if the privates can compete in 2A or not. It doesn`t matter if the Collinwoods or Cloudlands can compete or get nailed by the 2A teams like Huntingdon or Alcoa that will move down. It doesn`t matter because there will always be teams in every class that will do well year in and year out. If you happen to be one of those teams that can`t compete very well in your class, then tough. Just enjoy the experience and move on. I suppose if the private schools do well in 2A then the whining will start over again.

The multiplier was the best option available to the TSSAA for now. It certainly provides the 1A publics some relief, especially in football which is what most folks are concerned about. I agree with VG and 37421 though, the same handfull of teams will swap the titles around from year to year.

If the ABC privates decide to stay in DI (probably 50/50 at this point), they will be competitive, but not be as dominating as a group right away. If they igrow and improve at the same rate as in the recent past, it will only take 2-3 years for things to heat up again.

As much as I regret it, my gut feeling is that nothing is going to prevent the eventual splitting of all public and private schools for athletic purposes.

Like I said several times...a multiplier wasn't what I wanted but in a compromise no one gets everything they want.

As for whether the small privates can compete in 2 or 3a, we will see next year. Boyd has as good a team as they have had and DCA is bringing back just about everyone, so those two should give a good snapshot of what the best small privates teams can do. CPA should be strong next year too...assuming the alphabet teams in the 'ville don't bolt to divII.

I, too, have heard that the Southeast Tenn 2a teams are considering moving up to 3a. I hope not. If so, then who is doing the whining and not abiding by the decision of the TSSAA? Sadly, it doesn't surprise me. One of the local 3a teams out near the Valley was scheduled by us and cancelled with 2 months to go until the season. Their "legendary" coach said he hated to break his word, but it "just wouldn't be good for his program to play against a private school". If his idea of honor is the same as the other schools in his area then I guess they will all move up. I suppose the idea is to teach the kids all about dishonorable behavior so they can avoid it in the future? Sad... :lol:

Like I said several times...a multiplier wasn't what I wanted but in a compromise no one gets everything they want.

As for whether the small privates can compete in 2 or 3a, we will see next year.  Boyd has as good a team as they have had and DCA is bringing back just about everyone, so those two should give a good snapshot of what the best small privates teams can do.  CPA should be strong next year too...assuming the alphabet teams in the 'ville don't bolt to divII.

I, too, have heard that the Southeast Tenn 2a teams are considering moving up to 3a.  I hope not.  If so, then who is doing the whining and not abiding by the decision of the TSSAA?  Sadly, it doesn't surprise me.  One of the local 3a teams out near the Valley was scheduled by us and cancelled with 2 months to go until the season.  Their "legendary" coach said he hated to break his word, but it "just wouldn't be good for his program to play against a private school".  If his idea of honor is the same as the other schools in his area then I guess they will all move up.  I suppose the idea is to teach the kids all about dishonorable behavior so they can avoid it in the future?  Sad... :lol:

I hope that the schools in DI decide to stay in DI but I realize it is a decision they have to make individually. There are so many factors that must be considered that I will not judge any school based on their decision. I do hope they stay, personally.

I believe 2A public and private schools should be able to compete for the title in their best years. If that proves to be correct then we have a better plan than before.

Here`s what is obvious....the privates won`t be as successful in 2A as they were in 1A. If they are moved up to 3A they will be less successful. If they are moved up to 4A they will be even less successful. If they are moved up to 5A they will even be less successful.

The question is....At what point do we stop pandering to those who are unhappy and tell them to play ball? At what point will they stop complaining? Will it be when these small private schools no longer even stand a chance to ever win a state championship?

That`s it in a nutshell.

I believe the private schools can compete. We see Trousdale county in 3a and be very competitive. Why shouldn't private teams with similiar programs? I wasn't really for a multiplier, but wanted to see the few private teams that strive for the better football programs to seek their level of competitiveness. The 1.8 seems to have accomplished this somewhat.

I don't want to see a bunch of publics complaining. I don't believe moving up classifications is complaining. That is their perogative. I'm glad to see the privates accepting the multiplier. If some choose a different direction, they can, just as some publics may.