Evaluation: Where are we now...

CoachT

And I have to ask this, if a 300 student private school is compared to a 300 student public school, which do you think, on the average, will have more students wanting and willing to put in the work required for a team to be a winner? If it's a huge difference, as I believe it is, doesn't that justify a split?

I am going to have to disagree with you totally on this issue. To assume that an athlete from a public school has less of a motivation than a private school athlete to become successful is down right ludicrus. As a matter a fact I am going to say that a student athlete at a public school is actually more motivated to be successful. Given the fact that most of these athletes have more to lose if they are not sucessful. An athletic scholarship may be the only avenue in which this athlete can attend college. If the athlete is going to a private school, in most cases this athlete isn't depending solely on there athletic ability to further there education. I would argue that the difference isn't the student athlete's motivation but the lack of resources that are available at their school. Please, don't compare these two schools and tell me the difference is students willingness to sacrifice. Public school athletes may actually sacrifice and often overcome more obstacles than do private school athletes. I am sure that baldcoach or rollredroll may disagree, as I am sure they can give numerous examples of private school athletes overcoming difficult circumstances, but spare me the assumption that on average, private schools athletes are more motivated.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to have to disagree with you totally on this issue. To assume that an athlete from a public school has less of a motivation than a private school athlete to become successful is down right ludicrus. As a matter a fact I am going to say that a student athlete at a public school is actually more motivated to be successful. Given the fact that most of these athletes have more to lose if they are not sucessful. An athletic scholarship may be the only avenue in which this athlete can attend college. If the athlete is going to a private school, in most cases this athlete isn't depending solely on there athletic ability to further there education. I would argue that the difference isn't the student athlete's motivation but the lack of resources that are available at their school. Please, don't compare these two schools and tell me the difference is students willingness to sacrifice. Public school athletes may actually sacrifice and often overcome more obstacles than do private school athletes. I am sure that baldcoach or rollredroll may disagree, as I am sure they can give numerous examples of private school athletes overcoming difficult circumstances, but spare me the assumption that on average, private schools athletes are more motivated.

Come to a JCS vs Middleton or Perry Co football game and then say what you just said. A school 2/3 the size has right at twice as many players out for their team. Or USJ with just a few less students has more than twice as many players out for the team. The average private school student is going to be more motivated to perform to the best of their ability than the average public school student, if only because Mom and Dad are forking out a lot of money to send them there.

WHO HAS MORE MOTIVATED STUDENTS????

Motivation is such an intangible how could anyone ever hope to measure it? A school has more players? So does that automatically mean they are more motivated? What if they are 135 lbs linemen? This reminds me of the arguements over population draw that metro privates have. There are so many varibles that go into this its easy to see why the debates go on and on.

Come to a JCS vs Middleton or Perry Co football game and then say what you just said

I have watched many games between private and public schools, to say that the one school would be more motivated that the other to perform is ridiculas. Cleveland High School won three straight state championships in football with no more than 40 players on the roster, if that many and even defeated Brentwood Academy in one of those. To even suggest that Middleton or Perry Co. players are less motivated would unjustly portray them in a negative manner. I am sure Huntington would take issue with the statement that private schools are more motivated.

The average private school student is going to be more motivated to perform to the best of their ability than the average public school student, if only because Mom and Dad are forking out a lot of money to send them there.

Parents footing the bill for kids just as often produce lazy, spoiled, unmotivated students.

Gov, I think you are looking at the post the wrong way. In my interpetation Indian is saying their will be more PARTICIPATION in athletics at a private school than at a public school.He is not knocking the players that are already playing sports in the public school in my opinion. I feel they are as motivated as any to play or they would not be out there playing. THe point of his message, I believe, is that in general there will be more students in a private school motivated to be involved in athletics than at a public school. Whether it is right or wrong is for you to decide. I believe it is true that private school students on average are more involved in school activities than public school students. I do NOT believe that the private school students that are involved are more motivated than the public school students who are involved. MY two cents worth!

THe point of his message, I believe, is that in general there will be more students in a private school motivated to be involved in athletics than at a public school.

Its not motivation that gives the private schools the edge in this department, it is the fact that most private schools require students to participate in athletics or intramurals. If you use the phrase 'required to particpate' instead of 'motivated to participate' I will agree. I think that there is a misconception that participation breeds success, I think that success breeds participation.

it is the fact that most private schools require students to participate in athletics or intramurals. If you use the phrase 'required to particpate' instead of 'motivated to participate' I will agree.

How many private schools are in TSSAA?... 50-60? I would be very curious to know what percentage require their students to participate in any type of extra-curricular activity. I bet it is pretty low. Yet another misconception about private schools.

I have watched many games between private and public schools, to say that the one school would be more motivated that the other to perform is ridiculas. Cleveland High School won three straight state championships in football with no more than 40 players on the roster, if that many and even defeated Brentwood Academy in one of those. To even suggest that Middleton or Perry Co. players are less motivated would unjustly portray them in a negative manner. I am sure Huntington would take issue with the statement that private schools are more motivated.

Parents footing the bill for kids just as often produce lazy, spoiled, unmotivated students.

I'm not saying the players who are playing at Middleton or Perry Co. are not motivated at all. It's hard to compete against someone who has twice as many kids on their team, no matter how motivated your boys are. Middleton and Perry Co. have not defeated USJ, JCS, or Fayette Acad. since they have been in this region. I know Middleton has defeated Trinity once and Perry Co. has done it @ 3 times, but I don't think Trinity has been playing very long. And from the way they played this last season, I would say it won't be very long before they will dominate just like the other 3.

Its not motivation that gives the private schools the edge in this department, it is the fact that most private schools require students to participate in athletics or intramurals. If you use the phrase 'required to particpate' instead of 'motivated to participate' I will agree. I think that there is a misconception that participation breeds success, I think that success breeds participation.

Gov,

I think you are wrong here. Most of the divI privates do not require students to participate in extracurricular activities. That is more prevalent in the older prep schools (ie. DII).

In some situations I know that you are correct that success breeds participation. That is not always the case, I know for a fact that at a school that won a state title at the AAA level the next year 7 freshman came out for the team. This same team had around 28 to 30 kids last year and has not had a losing season since the early 80's. I deem that pretty successful yet numbers steadily declined. for the 5 years I was at the school we never had more than 38 to 40 players on the best years. We are talking about a school with 570 kids approx. Success does not guarantee motivated, involved athletes. Success is not the only factor but I will agree it is one of many factors.

In a six year stretch the team here went to the quarterfinals four times and had at the most about 32 players. One year there was about 22-24. The coach got the most out of the players who were playing, but with better depth and more of the bigger and faster students playing, who knows if a state title could have been in reach? One year the team lost in the final seconds to Kingston, the next week Kingston lost in the final seconds to nationally ranked Alcoa (with Billy Williams). All three were probably pretty even, with Marion right there too. At least four or five linemen who would have would have been seniors and would have either started or been in the rotation didn't play for a variety of reasons after playing in younger grades. A lack of depth and overall size hurt them against Kingston, who had All-American Kevin Mays (Tennessee) and linemen who signed with Tennessee Tech and UT-Chattanooga. A couple of the linemen were in the 250-275 pound range, another was about 6-3 and would have been strong at defensive end or outside linebacker. That was a little all over the road :D, blame it on too much coffee before noon, but the point is even many of the really good teams could be even better if there was overall participation and interest in school activities the way they are in most private schools.

Most of the divI privates do not require students to participate in extracurricular activities. That is more prevalent in the older prep schools (ie. DII).

You are probably correct in your statement, it is found more in your Div. II than in Div. I. But I still do not see where someone can conclude that private students are more motivated to participate than their public counterparts. I have coached at one of the best private schools in the state as well as some of the best public schools in the state, I can honestly say that participation or number of players on the sideline has little to do with the success of the program. Tyner doesn't have lots of numbers, but seem to be a very competitive program in 2-A while Lipscomb has more numbers and are also competitive. Depth is mostly important as you move up in classification. Your school is a good example, Boyd has competed against higher competition and has been very successful. The difference is Boyd beats East Ridge and Rhea Co. then plays Lookout Valley and Copper Basin. Boyds schedule has a few region breathers while Rhea is facing Red Bank and Cleveland in their region. It takes more depth to compete week after week than it does to have to compete every other week. I really believe that Brentwood Academy had an advantage playing AA during there domination years. Their district schedule at the time gave them a chance to stay healthy for the play-offs and to compete against a couple of good teams during the regular season to prepare for a run at the state title. I think you would have to admit that depth at Rhea Co. may be a little bit better than Boyd. Small private schools may have lots of numbers, but that doesn't mean there is lots of talent in those numbers. Plus some of these small privates dress some of there Eighth graders during a varsity game. I am just not sold that participation is a great factor in success. Just because your chicken house is full of eggs doesn't mean you will have alot of chickens.