Zach Dunn's comments

OCHSAces

Part of article from The Daily Times in Maryville, TN - 02/15/2004

Please read and share what you think of quotes from the article? Dunn comes across as a real jerk and Coach Carpenter re-affirms that Dunn is not a good wrestler at all. He apparently only has one move. When that didn't work, Dunn did not have the ability to do anything else. I, too, would have liked to have seen more action. But, this was due to both wrestlers, not just one as the coach suggest. Coach, have a little more class.

I saw this match and have no dog in this fight. My reason for commenting is that the William Blount folks made it public and personal. As a wrestling fan, I am appalled at your lack of respect for your sport and opponents. Take some responsibility for actions and don't blame others for your failures.

All potential 189-pounders at the state tournament. Be aware that this is how the William Blount team will speak of you if you don't just walk up and let Dunn bear hug you.

Dunn (31-7) defeated Farragut's Nick Reveiz by decision, 5-2. Dunn said he was pleased with the pace of the match.

``It seemed to me like (Reveiz) was scared,'' said Dunn. ``He wouldn't stay in bounds. I was trying to get my move in but he kept leaning towards the edge.''

The move Dunn was going for was the bear hug. It's a move that has helped him obtain victory throughout the season.

``I think (Reveiz) may have been worried about the (bear hug),'' said Dunn. ``He saw me use it to pin a guy in less than 23 seconds here at the region tournament.''

William Blount coach Marty Carpenter said he would have liked to have seen more action between Dunn and Reveiz.

``Reveiz was trying to stay away from Zach,'' said Carpenter. ``Zach was able to get his points and Reveiz did get a penalty (for backing away).

``I would have liked for the fans in attendance to have seen Zach wrestle. I also feel that Zach might have won the outstanding wrestler award (if they could have wrestled).''

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zoo, I did not say Dunn was a jerk. I indicated that his comments made him appear that way. He did win the region and best I can tell, he deserved it. My comments were directed to his and his coach's remarks that displayed little to no class. "Character" is considerably more important than winning a wrestling tournament.

Dunn (31-7) defeated Farragut's Nick Reveiz by decision, 5-2. Dunn said he was pleased with the pace of the match.

``It seemed to me like (Reveiz) was scared,'' said Dunn. ``He wouldn't stay in bounds. I was trying to get my move in but he kept leaning towards the edge.''

The move Dunn was going for was the bear hug. It's a move that has helped him obtain victory throughout the season.

``I think (Reveiz) may have been worried about the (bear hug),'' said Dunn. ``He saw me use it to pin a guy in less than 23 seconds here at the region tournament.''

William Blount coach Marty Carpenter said he would have liked to have seen more action between Dunn and Reveiz.

``Reveiz was trying to stay away from Zach,'' said Carpenter. ``Zach was able to get his points and Reveiz did get a penalty (for backing away).

``I would have liked for the fans in attendance to have seen Zach wrestle. I also feel that Zach might have won the outstanding wrestler award (if they could have wrestled).''

Maybe the Farragut guy was concerned (scared) of the bear hug. If it was a move that he has been using throughout the whole season and it has been effective, then maybe he should be "scared" of getting caught. What is wrong with this Dunn guy saying what he thought might be the situtation?

well,,of course I was not in attendance, but it seems at though someone asked him a question regarding how he felt the match went and he responded. I see no lack of class in his response, but we are talking about a high school age wrestler, typically not into politically correct responses that take other people's feelings into consideration before being spoken.

If this Dunn fellow exchange the word avoid into the sentence instead of the more youthful expession of scared, it would more than likely not have given you the same outlook on the verbal exchange.

I understand your point. It does not seem to be an intended assault on Nick, at least without having the knowledge of how the inflection of his tone was when Dunn first said the comment.

To whom this may concern:

Zach Dunn is a very fine individual. His work ethic and determination are second to none. Please do not let the comments he made give you a bad impression of his character. For those of you on this forum who may not know him, Zach is one of the friendliest, most helpful persons you could have the privilage of knowing. The interview with the Daily Times reporter may have come across as rude, but believe me he did not mean it in an unsportsman like manner. Zach has the greatest respect for all of his opponents, Nick especially. Before his match he was so nervous to wrestle Nick that I had to sit him down and calm his nerves. Nick had already upset Maryville's wrestler and Zach was a little scared himself. It would benefit Zach to perfect other moves besides the bear hug, but jut like someone who has an excellent shot, Zach has used the bear hug to make him successful. Marty Carpenter, his head coach, is not a classless person, either. He is a superb role model and leader to everyone that has had the opportunity to wrestle for him. I thank him for the chance to be able to coach next to him.

Thanks,

Garrick Henderson

Iv'e been a classmate and teammate of Zach for the past 4 years, also a pupil and athelete under Coach Carpentar's guidance. Your reading too much into the article. Dunn is the only Region Champ to come out of Blount County, his finals match capped off his regular season in the best way possible, winning the regions can only make a person feel like they have an excelent shot at a state medal, his emotions must have been through the roof. Dunn might not have chosen the right words, but being one of the most aggressive wrestlers in the Region what he said might be right, I'm sure you weren't matside like Coach C. And if your implying he only wins because of the bear hug, you haven't watched many of his matches. If someone can't counter a move their opponent tries and simply backs off or isn't willing to be more offensive... well that does kinda sound like stalling, and should be pointed out. And Garrick, your awesome.

Lets get another opinion.....

I found this qoute in one of the other topics:

"We weren't booing Nick. I think he did a great job. He really impressed me. I was personally upset with the referee. He needed to call stalling because Zack Dunn is a good wrestler, and he didn't get a chance to show how good he was because there was not much wrestling going on in that match. He said the reason he didn't call it was because he would have to DQ him. That's bull. I have worked with Zack in the past because I was at William Blount before we started things at Greenback. TS, the ref, needed to make the right decision and encourage wrestling. It wasn't Reveiz's fault, he is a first year wrestler and a dang good one at that. I just wished that Zack would have had the opportunity to finish a takedown before going out of bounds. They went out of bounds at least ten times and everybody in the gym not just the Greenback people knew that that was stalling. Again, I am really impressed with your 189 and wish him the best. Nobody meant disrespect to him, everyone was just upset at the ref. Justin Ridge/ Greenback"