AAA officiating

Libertyfan

Hey Port Vol,

I agree with you about some of your post. The radio guys that I know criticize only when it's flagrant, which it was at the Murphy Center this week. Working on press row and listening to about 8 or 9 radio broadcasts as they went out live, the one recurring theme was the horrendous inconsistency from game to game. Most of the games in AA and AAA weren't close enough to be determined by a bad call but those first round games in A were absolutely close enough to be determined by a bad call. I'm sure some of those on the losing side will verify that. The discussion on press row by those of us in the print media was unequivocably that this was the worst called tournament that any of us had witnessed.

As for my opinion, I believe that the refs alter their calling at the state. I'm of the opinion that they are told certain things to look for (tuck rule) and certain things to sorta let slide (one step flop jump shot).

But that's only my opinion. And in my world, that's the only one that counts!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, Port_Vol, you are out of your mind! (Reaching way out for that explanation!)

Second, I certainly hope someone has notified the T$$AA about the sorry excuse for officiating we all witnessed this week! But ya know what? There was not anywhere else in Tennessee having T$$AA (High School) basketball, while this tournament was being played. The people that are responsible for this robbery were present! And I say "robbery" because all these athletes, teams, and coaches fought their way to the State Tournament and deserve to have at least a fair chance to win. I know about the old saying that you should not allow the game to be so close that a call (or calls in this case) should decide the outcome of the game. And that probably holds true for most of the season, but these are the best teams in the state, and in most cases very evenly matched! And although the officals are "only human", they should be as fair and consistant as possible. And that my friends should not be too much to ask! :angry:

Edited by 911

<_< I am glad that everybody saw the same thing that I did. I was sitting with high school and college coaches throught the tourney. All that I heard was about how that guy is normally a good official, but he blew that one. Or I can't believe he called that or even just wow and a shrug of the shoulders.

Charges were called so often that it encouraged "flopping." I even witnessed charges when the player didn't even make contact.

The state tourney is a showcase. Why not bring in officiating teams that are use to one another. I have never seen so many times that official paused to look and see if someone else was making the call. If you had crews that were use to one another that may not happen.

The only thing I will defend them against is the "tuck" rule. The players know the rule...just TUCK the shirt in. A "cool" player only hurts his team by having to leave the game. They are old enough to realize that it is being closely monitored so just follow the rule. Unlike the whistle blowing and not having a clue...this is within the control of the players.

I watched Thursdays games and the officiating was terrible. The ref making all or the majority of the calls was from 7AA. His name is Eubanks. We had to put up with his ineptness all year. We have better officials than him in 7AA, so I guess we saw the "good ole boy" philosophy at work again.

Why don't we play next years state tourney without officials, or better yet, lets pick three from the stands for each game. Wouldn't that be fun? Better have the National Guard on stand-by. I really don't think it would make much difference if they used NBA officials. Add up the turnovers and bad decisions by coaches and players then count the mistakes, or believed missed calls, by officials and see who comes out on top. Hats off to all the officials, who leave work early and travel many miles for not much pay to do a job that most people wouldn't think of doing.

The AAA officials were bad throughout the tourney. I'm a White Station fan and our guys got their share of no-calls for the last 2 games. When it was 7-3 in favor of Jackson last night I don't think anyone was complaining too much. I heard some people moaning after the game about the refs, but it looked bad for both teams to me.

Taylor Schall (the 6'8 center going to Yale) hasn't been able to buy a call since last season. Even the refs in Memphis/West Tenn. call everything on him. I guess it's our fault he's 6'8 and everyone else isn't.

Anyone saying refs were for White Station needs to go back and watch the tapes of those games. Reily Ervin got mugged all tournament bringing the ball upcourt and got maybe 2 or 3 calls.

All i have to say was that I was at this game and i was neutral(but i was on the JNS side a little bit only b/c im from Jackson but i really didnt care who won). And that I personally thought that the oficiating was more on the favor of White Station, althought JNS got a few calls. But Courtney Pigram and Colin Cunningham should win some awards this year at the Grammy's. Cunningham would fall down any time that a JNS player would dribble by him and get the charge called. Then Pigram would fall down evertime he shot and the refs would call the foul. There was one play at the very end of the first half that he was shooting a three and Reginald came kind of from the side and tried to block it ,,,but made no contact period with Pigram and Pigram fell backwards and got the fould called. The call that Reginald had called on him when he foulded out was horrible too. he didnt even touch Ervin. JNS had very few calls actually go there way. Also does any body know what exactly Dale Coleman did to get that tech called him?

The refs on Friday I sware they must have called about 15 charges and maybe 1 blocking foul in the semifinals of the AAA games, they NEVER called a block even if the guys feet were not set. Heck there were times where it looked as if other players would fall without being touched, and the refs would call a charge.

I would give the refs at best a D for their efforts.