There should be 5 Classifications

Wululu

I am confused, this thread started out talking about classifications. One writer made a comment about a "crowd the size of Bolivar" was bigger than their whole county. This was basically the whole county present except for the ones who listened to the game on the radio. This is the first time Bolivar has won the state tournament so what is the deal with them needing to move to AAA and so forth. We have used this system for years and i have been to murfreesboro and even vanderbilt when they used to have them there and remember seeing the same teams there year after year, but i do not remember anyone making these suggestions. Let us let all the winners that made it to the tournaments at the state enjoy it because they all had to do a good job to get there. I have never seen it where ball teams should be put in another classification just because they had a lot of fans there. Fan support and school population do not necessarily go hand in hand, many schools have fans that do not even have children in school, they just love basketball. SO TO ALL THE BOYS WHO WENT TO STATE, JOB WELL DONE. :huh:;)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is my opinion on the subject, I think there should be four classifications as well, but instead of having eight teams making it to the Boro, have only four and make the team double elimination. This will be a unique twist to the tourney as teams that have an off night will be able to redeem themselves. Currently there are 21 games played over four days. With my plan there would at least be 18 games played and if the team from the loser bracket beats the winners bracket team then they play the next day. I think this format would be quite interesting and would still allow the TSSAA to make money.

I would make these the classifications

A- (0- 400) This classification would basically stay the same.

AA- (401-850) Would open up the doors for teams like MLK, Alcoa, and McMinn Central to have a legit shot at the title.

AAA-(851-1200) Could you imagine having Bolivar, Southside, Raliegh Egypt with Wilson Central and Clinton.

AAAA- ( 1201 and up)- This division will always be competitive.

I think this plan will benefit all schools and will add even more excitement to the State Tourney. It also would still allow the TSSAA to make money. For everyone that says that there isn't a difference from 500 student to 900, you must be mistaken. In those four hundred students may be a Jamont Gordon, Tyler Smith, Delk Twins, Brian Lake, Willie Kemp, or Travis Sikes. Someone who can change the whole outcome of the game.

If you noticed who won the titles this past weekend, you will notice all of them were in the top half of enrollement numbers in their classification.

Unaka 343 3rd in enrollment 18 students below Halls

Bolivar 859 4th in enrollment 131 students below Haywood

White Station 2nd in enrollment behind the massive school of Bradley Central.

Any thoughts?

My freshman year of high school and my 8th grade year Oliver Springs dominated teams for two years on their way to 2 state tournament appearances. This year OS's girls made the state semi-finals. OS's enrollment is 500 and they play in AA. Lets not forget the years that Harriman won the AA state title (enrollment around 450) and the year Sweetwater won AA (again, around 500). In fact the year Harriman won it, they beat Sweetwater in the finals.

And while we're talking about population, Michigan has a total of 4 different classes for all sports w/ a statewide population of about 10 million. Tennessee can talk about adding another class in basketball when (and if) it gets that big.

Edited by OSHSman

Actually Ashland Blazer has 4 state championships which (along with DuPont Manual, St. Xavier and Louisville Male who also have four) makes them 2nd all-time in Ky. Henry County and Louisville Lafayette have won the most with six titles each.

I have am very much in favor of a one class system. You earn you spot in the state tournament, not on what your odds are based on the size of you school. Little schools can't compete? Tell that to Louisville Pleasure Ridge Park( about 1800 students) students was knocked out this year by Covington Catholic( about 180 students)

Kentucky has NO classifications and plays much better ball than TN. Look back in history before the days of classifications and you will find some of the smallest schools with state championships against the larger schools. PLEASE, basketball does not need to be watered down any more than it already is. Don't make it like football. Football playoffs are a joke! I kinda liked it the way it was in the early 70's with only two classifications---Large and Small! Makes winning a state that much more meaningful. Why is it that in girls ball, there is not nearly as much complaining about classifications than there is in boys ball? Jackson County, LA, Clarkrange, etc. competes with the 2000 enrollment schools at any time! I think it is time for people to stop using enrollment as an excuse.

there should be no classes... if there was no classes then big schools would have a rest while playing A teams instead of playing AAA night in and night out... Kentucky doesnt have any classes... and schools with 180 do beat 1800... but they are used to it and have grown up that way... it would take a long time for A schools in TN to get used to playing AAA... the difference in AA and AAA in TN isnt much... but can you imagine White Station vs Unaka? its just not happening... if you had 5 classes... then it would be easy for a A team to make it... but then White Station would be AAAAA... and they would blast a A school

I have am very much in favor of a one class system. You earn you spot in the state tournament, not on what your odds are based on the size of you school. Little schools can't compete? Tell that to Louisville Pleasure Ridge Park( about 1800 students) students was knocked out this year by Covington Catholic( about 180 students)

Not true. Covington Catholic is an all-boys school with an enrollment of about 400 ... doubled to about 800 for classification purposes.

This is a great :justwrestle: idea!! Moving to five classifications has totally diluted the football playoffs. Let's do the same thing to basketball and all other sports. Get real. We have enough classes as it is.

If diluted means more fair and more fun then you are right.

Like I said the bigger schools will hate this idea.