Lack of respect for Soccer

IN2VOLS

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you're posting in a forum dominated by KIDS. power isn't going to be in here, power isn't going to get wind of this. the only way you're gonna get the funding and such is by getting a group of parents to talk to administration. no one with any influence over these specific schools is going to be in here reading this without someone telling them to read it, in which case they may as well go ahead and present their case in person. agree?

I don't really think that is true, I know plenty of people that are not members of Coacht that still read the posts. Just because THEY don't post doesn't mean there will be no influence over soccer programs. Regardless, I think you're probably right that no big changes could take place by posting on forums.

And ya know what else, I am tired of all you sissy's (no offense)complaining........blah blah blah we dont have a field, no one appreciates the soccer team..... the football team thinks they rule everything.....football is so terrible... they always get the field...... well i am not sure how it is at your alls school but down here in blount county, Football not only supplies funds for football, but also every other varsity sport at my high school......i cant remember going to a soccer game when i was going to worry about finding a seat....And i am fairly sure thats how it is at your alls school, I will laugh like a schoolgirl if anybody trys to tell me that soccer even compares to football, in attendence, money made, concessions, and excitement. So ya know what folks, football has earned it, so i am tired of hearing all you babies crying about it.....grow up, real men play football

Edited by crkjon

i play football, what's ur point. most athletes in highschool, or at least in mine play 2 to 3 sports. and that's crap, football doesn't make the concessions at my school, if anything it's the trackmeets and soccergames. no charge for baseball or anything else... im not even complaining, im just siding with those who are in need, i have about three feilds to practice on. i say come on over.

FRA is private and therefore have the funds. The majority of schools, both public and private make alot more money from the football and basketball programs. Unfortuantely most soccer programs do not generate much revenue for the school. Soccer is quite exciting for those who play but not so much for the general public. I have been around American soccer since the early 70's and it has always been considered the sport on the rise. Well its 30 years later and they are still saying that. My theory is that Americans do not like low scoring events. They like to see alot of scoring. The Europeans and South Americans on the other hand can find as much excitement in a 1-0 game as a 5-4 game. I hate to go against tradition but rule changes in American soccer may be needed. Perhaps some off sides rule changes. Hockey has made rule changes to increase scoring, maybe soccer should. If you talk to some people who really dont know soccer and they will tell you they dont mind watching indoor soccer. Why? Alot more scoring. Granted there may be a few schools where soccer crowds outnumber the football crowds but generally speaking football creates 10 times the revenue soccer does. The worst thing the players or fans can do is disgrace themselves on the field or in the stands because if a school has to make budget cuts soccer most likely will be high on the list. When I see fans cursing the refs especially when they dont know anything about soccer doesnt help things. I guess in some regard, some schools are lucky to even have a soccer program. Some schools have soccer programs but dont have a real soccer coach. Alot of times it is a coach from another sport that coaches the soccer team. Those that have a good soccer program should be very grateful because there are alot of schools that dont. Yeah maybe some of this is complaining but facts are facts. Football makes money and soccer doesnt. Its also unfortunate when other athletes poke fun at soccer because soccer players to me are the best athletes in the world. In most sports an athlete can get away with being a one dimensional athlete. Imagine a professional soccer if he was one dimensional.

Edited by freekick2001

yall are right... football does generate more money however soccer is going to seem boring on a field that is not suited for its play.... Football fields in general are nowhere near wide enough for a true soccer field. and alot of schools unkowingly make the field of play even more compact simply by making their kids play using the football lines... i played soccer as well as basketball and football in high school and while football is exciting there are definitely boring moments with the timeouts and defensive struggles... basketball is much more comparable to soccers excitement because there is always something happening. soccer is hurt in the south because generally you need to know whats going on to enjoy watching it and people down here just aren't raised on soccer. oh and as far as noone of importance reading these boards?? tell that to last season's Ooltewah soccer team... there was quite a to do that came about from these very threads when their coach caught wind of what was being said... so believe you me these important people are definitely reading

it was last season... it was a HUGE argument and one of their players vented his(and the teams) frustrations about an assisstant coach, and the head coach got word ... it was an embarassing situation and the player got in sme real trouble and ootlewahs team was banned from coacht... trust me... if you are a player you don't wanna air your dirty laundry on here... this season amilio sanchez has already been banned for saying things on here that he shouldn't have(he plays for grace)...

I hate how the soccer team gets barely anything compared to football, basketball, or baseball. They all have tons of good stuff. And, the soccer team has a crap field. And, we are lucky enough to share the stadium with football. I also hate how no one goes to soccer games. The crowds are tiny compared to other sports.

Who brings in the most money at your school?

I can't think of one school where the soccer program would bring in more money than the football, baseball, or basketball. I know at Bearden, as "good" as our soccer team is, its revenue and attendance shade in comparison to our f-ball, baseball, and b-ball games.