Lack of respect for Soccer

IN2VOLS

The chattanooga times free press is going to do an article about the situation at ooltewah, they came and took pictures of us practicing on our current practice facility, if you want to call it that, its more like an open area w/ stolen goals, dead grass and dust, with the bulldozer constructing the softball field blowing dust into our faces.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeremy, you have to be crazy to think that yáll have the worst situation of sports teams at Ooltewah. The wrestlers had to beg, steal, and borrow a place to practice this year. and have you seen our uniforms lately? I thought mine was gonna unravel while i was on the mat. and I do apologize on behalf of our track team b/c our scheduling conflict allowed only 4 goals against Soddy, but either way, the wrestling room is far too small for our 50+ man squad and we still managed 2nd in the region and sent 13 wrestlers to State this year. I hate to fill you guys' thread w/ complaints about a different sport, but reading the stuff that yáll said made me think about the things we deal with during the season.

and a thank you to crkjon for stating a fact: real men play football.

And ya know what else, I am tired of all you sissy's (no offense)complaining........blah blah blah we dont have a field, no one appreciates the soccer team..... the football team thinks they rule everything.....football is so terrible... they always get the field...... well i am not sure  how it is at your alls school but down here in blount county, Football not only supplies funds for football, but also every other varsity sport at my high school......i cant remember going to a soccer game when i was going to worry about finding a seat....And i am fairly sure thats how it is at your alls school, I will laugh like a schoolgirl if anybody trys to tell me that soccer even compares to football, in attendence, money made, concessions, and excitement.  So ya know what folks, football has earned it, so i am tired of hearing all you babies crying about it.....grow up, real men play football

i played football and soccer during high school... and i liked soccer a lot more because the action never stops... i personally hated stoping for 1-2 minutes between every down in football to "make a play", it gets old... i agree that in America today, especially in the south, football will usually bring in more $ than soccer... but comeon man, you can't just kick another sport aside because it doesn't bring in as much $, soccer players have just as much right to the field as anyone else.. trust me.. you won't want football to be pushed aside when soccer becomes the dominant sport in this country... it already is the sport of the rest of the world... i beleive that our country will come around sooner or later too... and as for "real men" playing football... that's one of the most ridiculous statements ive ever heard... some of the best athletes in the world are soccer players... so mabey you need to "grow up"

Edited by madsoccer

Real men play football huh? There's a lot of little boys that come out to "play." You cannot generalize by making statements like that. Women play football too, bud--Locomotion. But back to the topic:

It angers me immensely when people who have no clue about soccer get on here and make fun of us for being concerned that we have no where to practice. Let's pause for a moment and think--how many schools have softball fields? How much money does that make? Booyah, point made. Whether a sport makes money should not be dependent on whether it gets a field/court/etc. Every team should have a place to practice and play where they will not get yelled at for doing so! It's not the booster clubs that buy land and make fields, it's the state of Tennessee (in public schools).

It's not like there isn't room at Ootlewah either. We have at least an acre of flat, grassy land (in poor condition however), that could easily be converted into a soccer field. It's laziness on the part of administration in actuallity, but it doesn't hurt them at all; they just force every sports program to pay a fee to the girls' team for not having a field. Get on the ball, guys.

This is directed mainly towards the gentleman that made the remarks about real men playing football:

I play both varsity football and soccer, I made all region last year in football and off to a pretty darn good start this year in soccer! Only ignorant people make such statements as "real men play football!" frasaves made a good point, in high school the majority of the real atheletes often play 2 or 3 different sports, and often times different techniques from other sports carry over into the other. A former teammate of mine, Aaron Cothran(you may have heard of him), was a perfect example of this! he led the state in rushing 2 years ago making all-state, while also finishing in i believe the top 3 in the state in his wrestling class, and before he made his commitment to football, he was quite a good soccer player! Another good example is a current teammate of mine, Bobby Martin. he made all-state this past year while rushing for nearly 1500 yards in 8 games, having had to sit out due to a groin pull in 3 other games. just afterward he posted i believe a 26-6 records in his weight class in wrestling, and is one of the most physical and dominating defenders in soccer that i know! neither of them will tell you that real men only play football! soccer is a VERY physical sport as well!

soccer does deserve respect, the majority of the teams out there have to do fund raisers and all that garbage to pay for their seasons due to the attitudes of people like you! But things will remain as they are!

Guys I apologize. I don't guess I stopped to think about what I said b4 I said it. and oldskool is exactly right. There is all that flat land back there where the band practices during the fall. if I win class president, I'll gang up the soccer guys and we'll talk to Mr. Foster about it. ( I"m tryin to make up for my mistake)

Edited by Owlsrasslin145

Guys, football is king in the south and the country for that matter. I'm older than most of you and remember in the 70s the experts saying soccer would overtake football in popularity by the 90s. Well, they were wrong and it just won't happen. The physical nature of football and violence with which it is played simply has too much appeal to the human nature. Like it or not football will continue to be the #1 sport in high school, college and the pros.