All Knowing Disgruntled Parents and Relatives ONLY

CallemlikeICthem

I didnt mean each and everyone. Yes we are lucky to have him hopefully he will stay for the next 2 yrs until i graduate. He is a great coach and a great guy. How many coaches do you know honestly would do anything to keep their players safe he makes us believe he would fight for us which we all find true. Do you all know any coaches that would do that for their players in their first yr at the school

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Parents you miss the point entirely!!! The fact of the matter is not whether or not you know baseball , or even if you are right . The fact of the matter is that a high school baseball program is not one man or one staff or even one group of players, it is a comphrensive effort. All parts must be moving in the same direction for a team to accomplish its goal! No one wants the program to be more sucessful than the coach! And the head coach is the figure head of the program. When you undermind the coach you undermind the program.

Parents: If your kid isnt playing tell your son to work harder!!! How can your son buy into a team concept if you don't!!! If there is a chance Johnny is being wronged then take that opportunity to explain to johnny that the world is not a fair place and sometimes baseball isn't either. If johnny is good enough to play he will get his chance. So make sure when he gets his chance he is in a positive enough state of mind to make the most of it. Teach your kids a life lesson, lead by example, support your program because whether or not you like it you are part of that program. :)

No, you miss the point entirely! Not every coach is skilled or knowledgeable enough to either articulate a goal or move his team towards it. In fact, some coaches don't even work within the framework of a team goal, even if they try to convince you that they do. They are working towards their own goal, not a team goal.

And "successful" can be defined in a number of ways. I think that good coaches define "successful" as helping their kids be the best they can be; but some define "successful" in more egotistical terms.

And this is not about playing time...I don't think anyone's mentioned playing time except for people defending coaches and blaming parents' concerns on lack there of.

But as you bring it up, no, in some programs Johnny won't necessarily get playing time, no matter how good he is, if he doesn't toe the party line. Even if that party line isn't good for him or for the team. For example, I know a pure power hitter who was asked to hit ground balls for three years. The kid finally got into the lineup because of injuries and turned out to be one of the best players the school had produced in a couple of decades--but only because he finally realized that he had to ignore the coach to succeed. And for the team to succeed.

Edited by LCborn

MSGOV I believe it is a TSSAA requirement that a coach be a member of the school faculty.A parent couldn't coach no matter how much they wanted to.Many great ball players go into other professions that wouldn't allow them to coach and yes they do eventually have children that become ballplayers.Becoming a parent doesn't mean you forget everything you once knew about baseball.Being a school teacher or administrater doesn't automatically make someone a great coach.Part of the appeal of this message board is the differance of oppinions you get and the ability to discuss them.If you don't like what some one says skip over it,laugh,or give a reply to it.My oppinion is some posts are too negative and that individual player names should be left out of those.Coach's take alot of the heat because that is the position they are in and when I coach I would rather be ripped on then have someone rip on my players.BY the way I AM NORAGARM.

This thread sounds fun!! :P

I know a coach that dosent know much of anything about coaching. The other day he called for a squeeze play in the last inning with 2 outs, a man on third and second down by 1 :) . The last time the kid at bat came up he hit a pretty good shot into right field and got an RBI or two. So he calls the squeeze when they have an alright hitter that has already hit the ball pretty good, he tries to bunt and the runner on third runs into a tag :);):angry: So game over.

So, when my buddy and I criticize the coach, do you think that maybe it is possible that we know what we're talking about?

At what point during that criticism does the coach suddenly get smarter? At what point in that criticism does he suddenly decide to do the right things instead of the wrong ones? At what point in that criticism does a player start to lose confidence in his coach and doubt even the right decisions? In other words, what are you accomplishing?

Good posts by some. It is hard to be a parent who played at a high level to watch from behind the dugout. It is a misconception because one played college or pro ball he will be a great HS coach. What really hurts kids and parents is when your kid is a better baseball player than most selected for the HS team. Most make the HS team through a tryout. Many coaches go with kids they know and because the parents are "Connected" they get their kids on the team. Then the kid who is a really good player and better than some on the HS team has to play travel ball or join the local 14-16 yr league to play a sport they are good at and enjoy. That happens in my town and others. I do have the utmost respect of the honest coach who works hard, it is a tough job to do well and winning is not everything. It is about the kids.

At what point during that criticism does the coach suddenly get smarter? At what point in that criticism does he suddenly decide to do the right things instead of the wrong ones? At what point in that criticism does a player start to lose confidence in his coach and doubt even the right decisions? In other words, what are you accomplishing?

.............coach suddenly get smarter? Prolly never in our case.

..............suddenly decide to do the right things instead of the wrong ones?once again prolly never.

...............a player start to lose confidence in his coach and doubt even the right decisions? Passed that.

................what are you accomplishing? Lettin ppl know our coach is a tard.