All Knowing Disgruntled Parents and Relatives ONLY

CallemlikeICthem

Every situation is case by case. In the situation at Lebanon, something is wrong....they are not winning, does it take a genius to see that? Is it all the coaches fault, NO! Is it all the players fault....NO. Their is a happy medium here, and I am not blaming anyone, I just know Lebanon won more last year. Coach t is for opinions, thats what I have done...expressed MY opinion. I know baseball, do I know all the situations at Lebanon, no!

All this post did was give the coaches a chance to take up for themselves, and they deserve that.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LC, you have some good points in all your posts. But if you have all the qualifications that you talk about, become part of the solution and not the critics. Anyone, parents, fans, and players can criticize coaches for mistakes they make. Some can even talk about what the coach should have done and be right, though not the norm. But when you criticize the program on here or anywhere else, it only brings the program down. If I were a parent of kids playing a sport and the coach did not seem to know what was going on, I'd try and schedule a conference with the coach and talk. Or better yet, apply for an assistants job or even the coaches job. Many want to criticize, but few want to walk in a coach's shoes. I have coached basketball AAU for 13 years and TSSAA high school assistant going on three years now. I have made good decisions along with bad decisions. But! I have found out that coaches usually make the biggest mistakes in their first five years. As you have said, the coach in which you talk about is well within hisfirst five years. Go to him and let him know your credentials then see if you can help him in any way. That's being part of the solution. Otherwise, you must be patient with a coach who doesn't have a lot of years under his belt. Coaches who are willing to learn will love any kind of constructional help they receive, but not destructive (Critics).

**** when I say you, I mean any person, not acually YOU ****

:P

You make some good points, Stokomo (especially when you say that I make good points <_< ). It probably is time that I have another conversation with the kid (and I do mean kid--he's almost young enough to be my son). And I do mean conversation, not argument or shouting match. He's getting himself into some trouble with other parents (many of whom are less phlegmatic about this stuff than I am) and I really would like to see him get better and succeed. I'm not at all for just giving him the heave-ho. Like you note, he's inexperienced. He seems insecure, which I think contributes to some of his problems. He's turned down offers of help in the past except from people with whom he is comfortable but, who knows, maybe he's ready for some outside feedback.

I think he's a good kid and really wants to succeed but, like I say, he's insecure and that makes him sensitive to criticism (I don't agree with you that criticism is necessarily negative or destructive, BTW). He has a good work ethic. But I think his goals are a bit skewed, emphasizing wins and facilities over player development. Personally, I think coaching is a marvelous opportunity to help boys become young men and that the teaching and mentoring aspects should be paramount. And I think that, unfortunately, those are his weakest areas. Then again, I am not too insecure myself to admit that I could be full of crap.

As for coaching myself, believe me, there is hardly a day that goes by during baseball season that I don't wonder if I wouldn't be happier doing that. Unfortunately, my wife has become accustomed to my income and I don't think she could stand the 70% pay cut. :lol:

My thing is....do something about it! 1.If you know so much, get your teaching degree, apply for a job, get hired and do a better. 2. Take your kid somewhere else and stop ruining the current program your child is in. 3. Make him/her quit. 4. Most important......Don't get on a gossip board and talk about it.......do something productive for everyone concerned. Or, refer to rules 1-4.

.....5. Keep postin on this thread.

Its fun.

"Or, refer to rules 1-4." --i think you mean 1-3. maybe. :)

Hey LC!! Try taking a 100% pay cut to pursue my dreams, but my wife is understanding and I got hurt, on the job. So it wasn't actually a 100% paycut, just a lump sum and now I am a student again, unemployed, getting my teacher's licensure. My wife knows my passion and is behind me 99%. The other 1% wanted to stay home with the kids! <_<

:D

Sometimes it's a matter of having to many players at a position. If I have a junior and a freshman with equal or almost equal talent I'm going to start the junior because he has more experience and less HS time left. My freshman will get some time and will develope. I know this year for my son, who is a sophmore, because a couple of older players were not happy with their playing time he is a full time starter on the varsity. It's best to be able to play more than one position and definately get your bat going. Give your coach a reason to put you in the lineup and give him as many options as possible