Powell High School Football

gator

Correct Sneaky Pete. Everyone knows that you must get on a waiting list to get a transfer to Maryville. Since athletes are not given preferential treatment there is no guarantee he will get a transfer. Matter in fact based on past post from Maryville fans in defense of this policy it is highly unlikely. What ever happened to going to the school you are zoned for and playing for the community in which you live.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest PASSINGGAME1

HTV- Does the name Jon Jon Lewis ring a bell. Powell was a closed zone then, but he Jon Jon managed to get in. There is ways, and if you know anything about Powell then you would know that even though Powell is a closed zone it is still done.

That just can't be. There is quite a long waiting list to get into the best school in America. And as any mayrville fan on this board will tell you, that tuition deal is/has never used to assist the football program. :(

Peat the list is long, but they are taking kids this on yeer on height and arm strength. If and only if, he is amongst tha tallest and has a gud arm, he'll have a gud chance to git in.

825 Lawrence.

Go Rebs.

powell is not closed to black students because of there low minority numbers

any black kid in knox co can transfer almost to any school he or she would like if thre are low numbers of minoritys

thats how we recruited under coach duncan :(

oops....allegedly recruited

and maryville doesnt recruit?.............AND MS GOV STILL NEEDS A HOBBY?...TOO FUNNY.........worried about all this arent ya hun

HTV,

I'm totally confused - which my hubbie says is normal for me.  Now you have just written that Coach Smith had several programs interested in his services.  After being shown how to go back and check previous posts, I read where on Dec 21, 22 you wrote that the Smith's were moving to Powell.  My question is this, now if the semester ended on Dec. 19th, how did other schools know to contact Coach Smith about his services.  Now I can imagine Coach Smith calling and offering his services and Powell saying yes come on, since he was once involved in the program but left some years ago, but I don't know how other schools knew he left Powell prior to the end of December, if his son quit the basketball team right before the semester ended.

Please enlighten me once again!

:D  ;)  ;)

Your confused? Gee, i'm surprised.

Smith's son didn't quit the Central basketball team right before the semester ended. He never played for Central this past year.

It was pretty well known that Daryle wasn't going to return to Central in 2004 way back into the fall. We first got that word about the middle of the season.

As for the "closed zone" thing, yes Powell is a closed zone. However, a minority student can go to any school in Knox County that he/she would be a minority, as long as there is room in the school. That was part of the settlement between Knox County and the US Office of Civil Rights a few years back.

Edited by HTV

HTV:

I beg to differ. Lee Smith did suit up for the Bobcats in a couple of early games. Rumor has it that he was not happy with the new Basketball coach from the get go then he was disciplined for missing practice and that was the straw that broke the camels back. Regardless of why he left he did play basketball at Central in Dec.

I just hope you can make them happy for the next couple of years. Because it appears that every time there is a conflict they up and move. Got mad at Coach Duncan left for Halls. Got mad at the Coach at Halls and left for Central. Got mad at several coaches at Central Helton, McMillian, Lambert etc... and went back to Powell. On the surface it appears there is a problem with long term relationships. Or if I don't get my way I will go somewhere else. Granted much of my information is secondhand and rumor but some is from the horses mouth and when you put 2 and 2 together it certainly appears there is a problem with relationships. Now in there defense it does appear that something is amiss at Central. They have lost 4 coaches from their staff for various reasons. That is highly unusual for a successful program. If they don't get some quality assistants to replace them it is going to hurt Central. Based on the conversation I had this morning at Hardees they don't have alot of people interested because of the reputation that Central has gotten over there practices of influenceing players to come to Central. Believe it or not there are individuals that have values and standards and they don't want to be associated with a program that is developing a bad reputation.

Anyway best of luck to Powell in the upcoming season. I look for them to challenge for the top spot in the region.

Redrage - You and I pretty much agree on most of what you said. Whatever happened with Daryle in the past is in the past. I know Coach Stephens well enough to know that he wouldn't have brought Smith in if he didn't have confidence in him and in the fact that he will follow the rules. Neither Coach Stephens nor the PHS administration will put up with anything that is not above board. and by the book.

I, too, expect Powell to be much improved and with a break or two get back near the top of the region standings. They played a ton of young kids last year and have a lot of talent in the program. It starts with that big line on both sides of the ball. If they can come though, the next two our three years can be very good.

1. What type of example is D. Smith providing for his kids and players. If you do not like the situation quit and go to some place else and speak badly about were you were at. Coaches are supposed to teach values and character that are involved in football. You cannot sell your soul for winning.

2. Politics- Powell had a QB that had to go to summer school to get eligible. He missed 2 or 3 days of the class for discipline reasons. The rule is if you miss a day of summer school you make an F. The next week he was admitted to another school and allowed to complete his term. The superintendent was a former Powell principal.

1. What type of example is D. Smith providing for his kids and players. If you do not like the situation quit and go to some place else and speak badly about were you were at. Coaches are supposed to teach values and character that are involved in football. You cannot sell your soul for winning.

2. Politics- Powell had a QB that had to go to summer school to get eligible. He missed 2 or 3 days of the class for discipline reasons. The rule is if you miss a day of summer school you make an F. The next week he was admitted to another school and allowed to complete his term. The superintendent was a former Powell principal.

1. Coaches leave for other jobs every year. I'll bet many of them left because they thought they would be in a better situtions. Not a valid point on your part. Are the other 3 coaches who left Central setting a bad example because they left? What about the rest of the coaches in Tennessee who left positions for new positions? That has the stench of sour grapes.

2. When did this take place? I'm not saying you aren't accurate, but I don't know who you are talking about.

HTV,

I asked my hubbie if he had heard of the situation that red dog reported. At first he could not recall, but when he came home from work he had talked with some coaches and they said there was a QB-RB-DB from Powell that was dropped from the roll of a school in Knoxville, during the summer school session. He was then allowed to enroll in another Knox Co. summer school program 3-4 days LATE.

Colen Steen or Stearn?

Does that name sound right?

:lol::):)

Edited by msgov