Powell High School Football

gator

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

htv.....this is funny..............the player there talking about played for powell in the early 90s......i guess we are ok if were pulling out decades old situations!

again if ya wanna go back that far.ya need to talk about the halls 86 teams and thier transfers.....poor campbell co has been losing many athletes to the current anderson co coach for years

by the way.since msgov so interested i believe the player she is referring to is currently in prison!

i bet it was phs's fault! :lol:

larry stephens and our current athletic director mr duff....are class acts!

nothing will happen that violates t$$aa rules under mr duffs watch!

bye the way anymore on the basketball recruiting front?..lol

htv.....this is funny..............the player there talking about played for powell in the early 90s......i guess we are ok if were pulling out decades old situations!

again if ya wanna go back that far.ya need to talk about the halls 86 teams and thier transfers.....poor campbell co has been losing many athletes to the current anderson co coach for years

by the way.since msgov so interested i believe the player she is referring to is currently in prison!

i bet it was phs's fault! :lol:

larry stephens and our current athletic director mr duff....are class acts!

nothing will happen that violates t$$aa rules under mr duffs watch!

bye the way anymore on the basketball recruiting front?..lol

Early 90s? You've got to be kidding. :)

If somebody has to go that far back to try to dig something up, we are in pretty good shape.

L.Stevens and Duff have excellent reputations, why would they allow it to be tarnished by hiring a person with a questionable one? Is he that good? Who was the OL coach they demoted for Smith? Are they going to demote M.Lowe from his OC duties for Smith? No matter what they do one of the two will not be happy.

As far as Steen goes the point was that Powell does have some political connectionsthat have helped in the past.

REDDOG.......lol..what are you saying...that some political clout kept colin steen playing in the early 90s?........political clout with who?....you seeing those black helicopters again?

can i ask a question........what is there to gain from continousaly sniping at darrell

does it make you feel any better?......im just curious?..

seems like your just getting fired up about circumstances outside you control!

i used to do that........and then after the heart attack..i stopped :blink:

wait a minute.....your talking about allen morgan....a man of incredible morals and not a tarnish on his record......

the man who turned powell from a drug den into one of knoxvilles best high schools?

SHAME ON YA!

Edited by robpride

L.Stevens and Duff have excellent reputations, why would they allow it to be tarnished by hiring a person with a questionable one? Is he that good? Who was the OL coach they demoted for Smith? Are they going to demote M.Lowe from his OC duties for Smith? No matter what they do one of the two will not be happy.

As far as Steen goes the point was that Powell does have some political connectionsthat have helped in the past.

Nobody has been demoted. They simply added another assistant coach to the staff.

Exactly whose reputaion has been tarnished? Sounds like you are the one with the issue, nad not Daryle.

To bring up something that happened in 1993 is just plain pathetic. There was a different head coach, different AD, and different principal in place then. That was over a decade ago. That's quite a reach on your part.

The fact is that Smith has a poor reputation. If you talked to other coaches you would understand. Also you guys hammered central for there exploits in recruiting. Who do you think was responsible for this? Smith and Kelly- both Powell guys. You all love Smith and 4 or 5 years ago he left Powell and said the program was not good enough for his kids. Many of your coaches were on that staff that he left. I guess it easy to forget when he has a 6-5 son and brings another big defensive player with him.

The political part was brought by someone else and my point was that powell has played that card before. Also if you go back to the early 90's Coach Kelly had plenty of recruits from all over the city playing for powell.

Do you trust D. Smith with your kids or are you just trying to win games? How are the 2 returning starters at defensive end going to respond to not being starters? You cannot sell your soul for wins.

I also know that the language that was used at central was loud and vulgar. There is no way that Stevens will allow this to happen at Powell. Is that a problem or does Smith just do whatever it takes to get what he wants?

red dog.....you made my point for me!!!!

you didnt say anything while coach smith and kelly were "coaching " for central

and coach kelly is back so im sure hes "coaching" again!

look in my opinion all the recruiting needs to be cleaned up no matter what the school!!!!!!!!!

yes even at my beloved powell!

but here are the facts......its so hard to prove no one hardley ever gets caught!

i know of athletic folks at the downtown office who prefer to look the other way

i know it happens but i cant prove it.........so what do you do ....?????

id love to hear an answer

oh and by the way i allready know of disgruntled parents of players who will be mmm....demoted!.............

how did central handle it all these years

how does anderson co handle it?...how did halls handle it in the 80s?...and maryville?........or the whole city of memphis?

The fact is that Smith has a poor reputation.  If you talked to other coaches  you would understand.  Also you guys hammered central for there exploits in recruiting.  Who do you think was responsible for this?  Smith and Kelly- both Powell guys.  You all love Smith and 4 or 5 years ago  he left Powell and said the program was not good enough for his kids.  Many of your coaches were on that staff that he left.  I guess it easy to forget when he has a 6-5 son and brings another big defensive player with him. 

The political part was brought by someone else and my point was that powell has played that card before.  Also if you go back to the early 90's Coach Kelly had plenty of recruits from all over the city playing for powell.

Do you trust D. Smith with your kids or are you just trying to win games?  How are the 2 returning starters at defensive end going to respond to not being starters?  You cannot sell your soul for wins.

I also know that the language that was used at central was loud and vulgar.  There is no way that Stevens will allow this to happen at Powell.  Is that a problem or does Smith just do whatever it takes to get what he wants?

Red Dog - You seem like a decent guy and I really don't want to get into a spitting contest with you. We agree on this thing a whole lot more than we disagree.

A couple of things:

I know Coach Stephens and things will be done his way. The language won't be allowed, and isn't being allowed in the weight room. My son will be a senior on the team next year and he has had nothing but good things to say about what Daryle has done in the weight room with the players.

Whatever happened in the past with Daryle and the other Powell coaches is in the past. About half of the coaches were there when he was before and about half hve come since he left. I don't sense any problems.

Powell has 5 good defensive ends now. They will all play, if not at end they are good enough players that they will be on the field somewhere.

I have talked to othe coaches about Daryle. Many have good things to say about him, and others don't. That's no different than most other coaches who leave for other positions. Again, he had several job offers when he left Central. That tells me that his reputation may not be as bad as you make it to be.

I deal with high school coaches on an ongoing basis in my job. I hear it all and have learned that things are never as good as some make them to be, and never as bad as some make them out. That is true in this situation.

why are you knuckleheads dogging on smith? he is a good coach and a good man. how does the saying go " those without sin may cast the first stone". he will be missed and so will his son at central, but i will bet the house that powell will still not beat central.

one more thing...to have a line that good with a coach that good they will be tough.

Edited by JohnPaul

guys, I am just stating facts and things that might come from the situation with people who try to manipulate the system. I know it has happenned at many places over the years. But is high school athletics not for the education of our kids? What lessons do they learn from all that is going on in these areas. I know you think that I have a beef with Smith but all I am doing is pointing things that have happenned and the possible effects of these actions.

JP- Why are all the coaches in Bobcat land leaving?

Why did Huber leave a 10 win team year in and year out?