Powell High School Football

gator

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Recruiting is out of control all over the state and the TSSAA can't do anything about it and the local school systems want. The problem is some schools are closed zones and they can't recruit. Central, Maryville, etc are taking students from all over the county and rumor has it that Maryville is now going to take a kid that lives in Halls. The top two teams in the region also have a number of players on their roster that are from other school zones.

Central has problems. They have had 4 coaches leave the program. At least two of them were upset with the current situation. They have had one up coming senior leave and several of the recruits are questioning their decision to go to Central since Coach Smith left. Central is in trouble. If they have problems in spring practice and early season next year. If you remember in the early to mid 90's Central had some very bad teams. If Iam not mistaken they went 0 &10 one year. This is a very similar situation with in the program. Desention and turmoil is running rampant. Say what you may but if they don't stop the bleeding with the loses of key personnel to graduation and transfer, with the loss of several key coaches, and the turmoil with in the team at this time. Central could be headed for a disastorious 2004.

Powell on the other hand will finish no worse than 2 nd.

Red dog I understand exactly what you are talking about. Bout you must remember that values take a back seat to winning in todays society.

redrage........i agree powell has been at both ends of the transfers!!

i dont agree with all of it either!

and i realize halls is now taking hits from all sides.

the thing is powells are legal transfers.......as im sure centrals have been!

and halls in past years

the question still is instead of bashing every one.......how do we stop it?.....im sure willing to listen!....and i hope all school athletic directors are too.......as i said before its not just football.........or boys sports!

by the way...im not dogging smith.....

jp..your in the know...why not give us some insight into highschool recruiting

not dogging you either.......whats your take?

i am not in the know...i gave up coaching the 8th graders two years ago. there is alot of tallent on that team, a little short on tough lineman though.

The way we can stop it is go back and hire coaches that are in it for the right reasons. I understand that we need non-teacher coaches because of the shortage but the head coach is responsible for the actions of his assistants. There is a code in coaching that must be followed. DO WHAT IS RIGHT. Do these people not respect FOOTBALL? Remember what your coaches taught you-RESPECT, TEAMWORK, HARD WORK PAYS OFF, SPORTMANSHIP, COMMUNITY, SPIRIT,ECT...

We all love the football movies. Junction boys, Rudy, Radio, and even the Longest Yard. In the end the integrity of football and the teachings of the old coaches made everything right. We all are representives of football, lets not let our teachers down.

reddog.......your starting to make me respect you.....i hate it when that happens

your right on your post of course....i just hope some of those words you used are still in the vocabulary of coaches and players!

at any school!

i get to asst one of the few remaining old coaches who still hold those words in high regard

he teaches young people fundamentals and discipline and life lessons

i consider myself very fortunate to help such a throwback!

The fact is that Smith has a poor reputation.  If you talked to other coaches  you would understand.  Also you guys hammered central for there exploits in recruiting.  Who do you think was responsible for this?  Smith and Kelly- both Powell guys.  You all love Smith and 4 or 5 years ago  he left Powell and said the program was not good enough for his kids.  Many of your coaches were on that staff that he left.  I guess it easy to forget when he has a 6-5 son and brings another big defensive player with him. 

The political part was brought by someone else and my point was that powell has played that card before.  Also if you go back to the early 90's Coach Kelly had plenty of recruits from all over the city playing for powell.

Do you trust D. Smith with your kids or are you just trying to win games?  How are the 2 returning starters at defensive end going to respond to not being starters?  You cannot sell your soul for wins.

I also know that the language that was used at central was loud and vulgar.  There is no way that Stevens will allow this to happen at Powell.  Is that a problem or does Smith just do whatever it takes to get what he wants?

Red Dog - You seem like a decent guy and I really don't want to get into a spitting contest with you. We agree on this thing a whole lot more than we disagree.

A couple of things:

I know Coach Stephens and things will be done his way. The language won't be allowed, and isn't being allowed in the weight room. My son will be a senior on the team next year and he has had nothing but good things to say about what Daryle has done in the weight room with the players.

Whatever happened in the past with Daryle and the other Powell coaches is in the past. About half of the coaches were there when he was before and about half hve come since he left. I don't sense any problems.

Powell has 5 good defensive ends now. They will all play, if not at end they are good enough players that they will be on the field somewhere.

I have talked to othe coaches about Daryle. Many have good things to say about him, and others don't. That's no different than most other coaches who leave for other positions. Again, he had several job offers when he left Central. That tells me that his reputation may not be as bad as you make it to be.

I deal with high school coaches on an ongoing basis in my job. I hear it all and have learned that things are never as good as some make them to be, and never as bad as some make them out. That is true in this situation.

Good things in the weight room...........

Let by-gones be by-gones.............

BLAH, BLAH, BLAH..............

It is all SO revloting. Let Powell slip up and go 4-6, 5-5 back to back. Or just have a few unproductive years (Anything is possible, don't say it aint). Daryl, daryle daril what ever the case my be Smith will be the first sacrificial lamb to face the community blaze! Or they may just wait until his kids graduate. Don't take it the wrong way Powell. This, in no way shape or form is an isolated incident. It all comes down to one thing WINNING. Just about anything can be overlooked when you are winning. Counterfeit, drinking, parties, drugs, transfers, grades..... whatever. My high school coach tried to teach me one thing. You get out of it what you put into it....... such is life.