Powell High School Football

gator

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is strange that everwere that D Smith goes so goes players from the school that he was at before. Are the people at powell not worried about the reputation of there coach. His name is tarnished in the coaching world. When his kids are out of eligibility will he still be coaching or will anyone want him.

It is strange that everwere that D Smith goes so goes players from the school that he was at before.  Are the people at powell not worried about the reputation of there coach.  His name is tarnished in the coaching world.  When his kids are out of eligibility will he still be coaching or will anyone want him.

I've got news for you, Red Dog - there are other Central student/athletes who either have or are considering going to other schools besides Powell.

Several programs wanted Daryle after he left Central. His name is tarnished? I don't think so.

Question for you: Do you not find it strange that 16 of Central's 22 starting positions last year were filled by players who DON'T live in the Central zone?

It's the old "when you point there are three fingers pointing back at you" theory.

Again, Powell is a closed zone. You have to live in Powell to go to school in Powell. It's pretty naive to believe that anybody from the Powell community could talk a parent into spending the money to buy a house in Powell just so thier son can play football at Powell. We aren't Alabama or Logan Young in north Knox County. :rolleyes:

redbyrd: no mass exodus from Central. That was not the reason the Hubers transferred Baron. They are doing what they think is best for their son. Some of the other rumors of kids transferring to Powell was just that, rumors. Zach Helton's situation was totally different and non-football related, but that has worked out, too.

The kids on the team have had meetings either at peoples' homes or at the fieldhouse to talk about these rumors. Some of the players who are rumored to be transferring just laugh at these. I really expect to have the rest of the kids back next season. But no matter, we'll play with who we have and do well. A lot of our 2nd line kids are good players, just have not had the chance to play, yet.

I promise you that his name is tarnished in the coaching community. It just is amazing that were he goes so goes kids from other schools. Larry Stevens has a great reputation as a coach and a man of integrity, I wonder why he would risk his reputation on a coach with out the same qualities?

HTV

16 of 22 starters were transfers and people contend Central doesn't recruit? Yea right! I have lived in Ftn. City for 58 years and rest assured the old Central folks don't like what is going on over there and your new Coach was right in the middle of the mess. Many of those 16 are kids he influenced from Halls. Now you have to admit when rumors start to circulate that players from Central are moving to Powell people are going to wonder what is going on. I am sure he will do a good job coaching but I am not sure that was the only reason "other schools" wanted to have him as a coach. Maybe having a 6'6" 260 lb. son factored into it. I will say this. Central is hurting for a line coach they weren't very good in that area before he got there and I look for them not to be as good in the future because they will not be able to find a quality coach.

Now about Huber. I know he played D.E. and O line last year at Central. He was moved from L.B. and F.B. although in my opinion he was a better F.B. than the one that was playing. Where will he play at Powell? How big is he now?

I look for Powell to be a contender. With the additions and what they already have they will have one of the best ofensive and defensive lines in E. Tn. I think their only question is at Q.B. I hear they have a 6'3" Freshman to be with a gun moving in from another school.

Edited by redrage

HTV,

I'm totally confused - which my hubbie says is normal for me. Now you have just written that Coach Smith had several programs interested in his services. After being shown how to go back and check previous posts, I read where on Dec 21, 22 you wrote that the Smith's were moving to Powell. My question is this, now if the semester ended on Dec. 19th, how did other schools know to contact Coach Smith about his services. Now I can imagine Coach Smith calling and offering his services and Powell saying yes come on, since he was once involved in the program but left some years ago, but I don't know how other schools knew he left Powell prior to the end of December, if his son quit the basketball team right before the semester ended.

Please enlighten me once again!

:D:(;)

HTV

16 of 22 starters were transfers and people contend Central doesn't recruit? Yea right! I have lived in Ftn. City for 58 years and rest assured the old Central folks don't like what is going on over there and your new Coach was right in the middle of the mess. Many of those 16 are kids he influenced from Halls. Now you have to admit when rumors start to circulate that players from Central are moving to Powell people are going to wonder what is going on. I am sure he will do a good job coaching but I am not sure that was the only reason "other schools" wanted to have him as a coach. Maybe having a 6'6" 260 lb. son factored into it. I will say this. Central is hurting for a line coach they weren't very good in that area before he got there and I look for them not to be as good in the future because they will not be able to find a quality coach.

Now about Huber. I know he played D.E. and O line last year at Central. He was moved from L.B. and F.B. although in my opinion he was a better F.B. than the one that was playing. Where will he play at Powell? How big is he now?

I look for Powell to be a contender. With the additions and what they already have they will have one of the best ofensive and defensive lines in E. Tn. I think their only question is at Q.B. I hear they have a 6'3" Freshman to be with a gun moving in from another school.

I can't speak for the coaches, but I believe Huber will be used at defensive end. Where he fits in on the offensive line, I don't know. Powell returns some pretty good offensive linemen who got a lot of snaps last year. Baron could fit into that mix, however. Spring practice, which begins on May 3 will answer a lot of those questions.

On that quarterback you are referencing - the only way he comes to Powell is if he moves into the Powell zone. It is a closed zone. Word is he has a sister who will be a senior next year and wants to finish at her present school and doesn't want to move. That would make any type of tranfer for the son within Knox County difficult with the family staying in the present zone.

The latest "rumor" is that the son is going to end up on Lawrence Avenue in Maryville. He can go there without moving by paying the tuition, and his sister can finish at her school.