God & Football

JC4life

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think that having a prayer/moment of silence before every game is a very good thing and i completely agree with you in that if youw ant to pray at that time then feel free to do so but if you dont then don't nobody is going to make funand if they do then that just shows how low of a person they are.I myself pray before every game and i think its great. But it is optional unlike school cuz we are made to go its lieka law or something.i cheer and we pray in a circle before every game and competition and everything.so i think tis great

:rolleyes:

you are right prayer before a game is always good but no one makes you do it. I personally like to pray and take time to myself before games so i can get in the zone. God comes b4 everything in my life and no one could make the accomplishments or live without him whether you worship him or not and that is the facts. Peace Out yo.

You guys mustn't be able to read very well.  You just told me to go to "Capitol (sic) Hill" and "do something about it".  IT'S IN OUR UNITED STATES CONSTITUTION.  It's not just a collection of old state laws, it's a HUGE part of our culture, the separation of religion and federally/state funded programs (SCHOOLS/SCHOOL FUNCTIONS).  All you say is "Free Country, Free Country, Free Country", this free country promises freedom of religion.  "Free Country" doesn't associate itself with "everybody's a Christian".  These things I tell you AREN'T MY OPINION, THEY'RE FACTS AND LAWS.  See if you can see it a little better in bold...

THE CONSTITUTION READS (according to TEZ) if you dont like something, or dont agree with something the MAJORITY is doing (or you just feel left out) then ruin it for everyone. Get a lawyer and take their tails to court and SUE, SUE, SUE. Make THEM ALL pay because you dont agree. Here is a tip for anyone annoyed by prayer at ballgames: DON"T GO!!!! Boycott the games by staying at home and let the rest of us feel good about something for once. It seems to me that if I was an athiest and my kid played a sport that he could get hurt or killed in, then I would feel better knowing that a MAJORITY of the people in attendance were wishing good thoughts (praying) for my kid, rather than not caring. DUH

GOD

FAMILY

ALL SPORTS (except for GOLF... I stink at golf... I hate golf... golf stinks.... stupid little ball.... the clubs are warped...... I can't see the green...... the wind won't stop blowing.....AAARRRRRRRGGGGG!!!!!!!! fwew...fwew...fwew...fwew..........splash!!

Edited by GreenMan

I really worry about some of you and your pragmatic ethics. Atheists would not want anyone to pray for their child, for they believe that there isn't a diety to pray to. And your argument that if I do not like to hear prayer at ballgames, then simply "don't go", is just plain wrong. It is a public venue, being hosted by a public school, which is held accountable by the federal and state government, which clearly say that there should/and will be a separation of religion and state/federal funded activities.

If you guys want a country where you have your own national religion, then take the next flight to London. Until then, I'm not responding until some of you take out your little hippified U.S. History textbooks and actually read them. And for GreenMan, let's see you quote ELA and talk to him like that.

Both of these scenarios I have mentioned has happened in America and that is why a moment of silence is much more in line with what should be done at PUBLIC school games![/size]

ELA, Tez wanted me to do this. I agree with the two scenarios, and heres another. Say we institute a moment of silence, as soon as someone hears a single breath of an outspoken prayer (which alot of Baptist do) then they'll just start whinning about that. Oh heaven forbid someone wish positive thoughts about something. I could understand maybe if people where praying for a kid to get his neck broken or a ref to have a heart attack, but people are simply praying for something possitive. I don't care what religion you are, you should feel better knowing that some people actually want something good to happen for and to your kids.

It has been my personal experience as a teacher that SOME of the ones who try to talk straight through the Morning "Moment of Silence" in my classes are the children of those same parents who fight so hard for more prayer in public schools. One day, I asked every student in first period to answer a poll question about things like prayer in school, abortion, etc.. The next morning I waited for the moment of silence and the Pledge to the Flag. Twelve of the students had said the day before they were in favor of both prayer in school and the pledge and only one of the twelve bowed their head during the moment of silence and only two even attempted to say the pledge. Most of the girls just kept talking through the moment of silence even after I asked them to be quiet.

NO one can stop you from praying to yourself before school, during school, or during a football game! What we are talking about is SHOULD THE PUBLIC SCHOOL officially endorse a single religious faith by allowing public prayers over the PA system? The Law says you can't do it! This seems like a complex issue until you understand that you and I don't have the right to force our religion upon anyone else in public.

I have read through alot of this and I had said I would not respond or give an opinion but as you are aware i am opinionated. What I have are some questions and a few comments and maybe I can get an intelligent response. First if a prayer or moment of silence is given at a ball game who is being forced to become religious? I mean really, is anyone asking you to change religions? Is anyone going to kick you out of the stadium b/c you did not bow your head during the prayer? Are you being asked to take Jesus Christ as your lord and savior? This problem just provides more evidence to what I feel is a major issue in our society. We strive to become so sesitive to the needs of the minority of people that we ignore the desires of the majority. Are we not in a majority rule society? It seems now that it does not matter what the majority wants as long as we don not offend or impose on the minority. i.e. the few screaming for no prayer or what ever. Also on a side note, this may get us off the subject a bit but it was something I noticed watching a movie about the JFK assasination the other day. For a country to separate church and state it was ironic to me that the President takes the oath of office and promises to serve to the best of his ability " So help me god". But the again some people want to take the word God out of the Pledge. Just food for thought.

Edited by wardawg2038

Everything that is going on around us today is a fulfillment of Bible prophecy. These are the last times we are living in. The fact that they are trying to take God out of the pledge and the ten commandments off the courtroom wall is enough to tell me this country is slowly going away from God. It has even made its way to sporting events where people can't publicly pray out loud. Its so sad that people don't want Jesus, The one who was beaten and put to death for our sins. The Bible says the unbelieving will be cast into the lake of fire. I hope anyone who reads this will take this message seriously.

I guess you guys are unwilling or unable to answer my questions so I'll post them again...

QUESTION #1. Let's say that your son has a GREAT football coach who wins lots of games and is a fine example of what a man should be however he is a practicing Buddhist. Would it be appropriate for him to have a small statue of the Buddha in his office or in the corner of the locker room? Would you want him talking to your children about becoming Buddhists? Would that be acceptable to you as a parent?

If that question seems "too far out" for you, let me give you more food for thought:

QUESTION # 2. Let's say your winning football coach is a "good Catholic" who has a cross in his office on the wall and a beautiful portrait painting of the Virgin Mary on his other wall. Your son is a member of the Church of Christ Church and every time the team meets for team prayer the coach invites his Catholic priest over to pray. The Father prays to Mary on their behalf and then leads them in the Lord's Prayer. Your son comes home very confused about praying to Mary for intercession and you become angry and go to the coach which says to you, "We have a freedom to worship in this great land of ours and as long as I am head coach we will only pray to the one true God and the one true faith!" Now you may both worship the same God but your son is being told your religion or faith is not the one true faith! What do you do? Can you go to the school board about this problem?

Edited by ELA

ELA

My child would know what we belive and why we belive it.I would explain to him that people have the right to belive whatever they want.And I would hope that by the time they are in High School my kids would know for themselves.

Yes, I agree... however, no one (teacher or coach) has the right in a public school to use his or her position (paid by public tax dollars) to use that position to spread his/her own ideas about religion. I simply can't understand why so many of you don't get it! Any student can bow their head and pray in school at any time, no one is suggesting this should not happen, but as a teacher/coach, I should not teach your children about my religious beliefs! It is wrong. Since I am a Protestant Christian most of you wouldn't mind, but if I were a Buddhist, or Muslim you would all get very angry with me if I did so! This is the whole point of the matter! Now, having said that, try for one precious moment to put yourself in the position of the Buddhist or Muslim who happens to live in America. They are doctors, lawyers, engineers, and businessmen who pay their taxes and send their children to public schools. If you were them, would you want your son or daughter to be forced to say the Lords Prayer? If you are honest, I know what your answer would be, but I fear that so many of you can't see beyond your own personal belief system to see that America is not just a nation of Protestant Christians. We are a secular nation that is filled with good people from all faiths and all walks of life! Why should my faith or your faith take precedence over another taxpayers preference? You can't say because my way is right and yours isn't because everyone believe's their way is the right way! Who decides then? The STATE? This is exactly why there is a separation of Church and State because none of us want the STATE to decide which religion is right and which is wrong. The prayer before a game has never really bothered me; however, now that the Supreme Court has ruled on the matter, I as a public servant must obey the law of the land.