cbg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

:P

Kev, I understand most think UT Baseball is in a death spiral,,,but shouldn't you state "rebuild" the program.

In my humble opinion, Coach D built the program and is now finding it hard to get to into the Post Season. If that is reason to fire him, then fire him....but we dont have to go overboard.

I sure hate what has happened (the late season collapse) to Coach Delmonico, because he sure is a nice guy. However, this has been a developing trend for some time now (even when they went to the CWS in 2001)

If he is dismissed, one name that I keep hearing is that of Garth Iorg. Now......I know he doesn't have any collegiate coaching experience, but he has played the game at the highest level, and would be very fundamentally oriented.

As far as Corbin, he certainly would be a great choice but I doubt that he would leave Nashville at this juncture. I have also heard that the top Georgia assistant might be interested. Anyone know anything about this?

First off .... The Vols post-season hopes are not dead yet. Keep in mind that the Vols are 1 game ahead of Auburn, not 1 behind.

The Vols have Florida at home while Auburn is at Arkansas, this weekend. Vandy looks to be in good shape with Kentucky at home.

Even if Tennessee does not make the SEC tournament they have a good chance at being an NCAA Regional team, based on the exception made for Florida last year. The Vols RPI will, in all likelihood, end up in the top 30. (current rankings have them at a 20 rpi - last week) Playing and winning or losing to South Carolina and Florida will not hurt the rpi too much.

Tennessee has shown an ability to spend the money needed to host a regional. NCAA baseball regionals are awarded based on the amount of money bid by the host school, as one of the primary points when considering sites. We'll see if Mike Hamilton is as good to the baseball program as Coach Dickey was, in the past.

IF Rod should leave UT at the end of this season (for whatever reason) don't look for the new head man to be Garth Iorg. While he has an impressive track record in the professional ranks, he has never recruited before.

The Tennessee baseball job is considered a "plum." I know several very good head coaches that would be interested. I don't think that it is fair to speculate on any names at this time.

As a footnote ..... My opinion is that the only "pro guy" that Tennessee would consider for the baseball coach would be Phil Garner. Local boy returns.