BA 2004

Today was the 1st day of two-a-days and it went pretty well. We looked good, for our first time back, on both defense and offense. Looks like Brad Bowker should get the start at QB with Griffin playing mostly on the defensive side of the ball. He could get some time at RB to. Some names that stuck out, Dillion Searcy the sophomore LB, who was playing some end today really stuck out. Heard coaches shouting his name a lot on the field today. Quickness, strength, and he can also hit. Kooda Taylor also stuck out with his enormous heiny. The kicking game is where we need to improve the most. Tyler Baker, sophomore, did not look very good today. It looks like the job will be between Baker and David Varn, junior. Newcomers Clay Boring and Phillip Masters i think will have to wait until next year for there shot, but you never know its only the first day. And dont worry Wes, we will be ready for Centennial.

First day of pracitce: B+

825296692[/snapback]

I never doubted that you guys would be ready and stoked to take on the Cougars. Looks like I'll only be able to make it back for the playoffs this year, if that. While I'm excited about the opportunities I'm getting here in Knoxville, I'm disappointed I can't watch you guys rip up the Super Seven. B)

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BA scrimmages Dickson County on the 6th at home and Beech (at Beech) the following week.

The Dickson County scrimmage is posted for 7 O'clock , I believe.  It will be a good feeling to be under the lights again. :)

825297322[/snapback]

Man, I wish I could make it back to see some practices, scrimmages, or games...maybe I'll be able to pull a double-header again this year and hit up both the UT-Vandy game and the Clinic Bowl, assuming we make the title game.

I've seen all of BA's two-a-days so far. The kicking game is horrible!!! There is not one coach over working with the kickers on how to drop the ball, getting their steps right so they can get some power into the kick, or anything. I don't think they even know what the term "hang time" means!!! The passing game is a joke. Brad hasn't hit a long pass yet and in the passing drill against the blue defense(Freshman and Sophmores) he had three incompletions and four interceptions. However there are some really BRIGHT spots- DEFENSE!!!! If they can't score they can"t beat us. Tyler, Parker, Josh and and Sophmore Dillon Searcy at DE are outstanding. These guys will take your head off. We'll find out more on Friday night against Dickson. LET'S GO EAGLES !!!!!!!

I've seen all of BA's two-a-days so far. The kicking game is horrible!!! There is not one coach over working with the kickers on how to drop the ball, getting their steps right so they can get some power into the kick, or anything. I don't think they even know what the term "hang time" means!!!  The passing game is a joke. Brad hasn't hit a long  pass yet and in the passing drill against the blue defense(Freshman and Sophmores) he had three incompletions and four interceptions. However there are some really BRIGHT spots- DEFENSE!!!! If they can't score they can"t beat us. Tyler, Parker, Josh and and Sophmore Dillon Searcy at DE are outstanding. These guys will take your head off. We'll find out more on Friday night against Dickson. LET'S GO EAGLES !!!!!!!

825298511[/snapback]

Word to that.

The passing game has been a little shaky but give them some time- the QB and receivers are inexperienced, but Brad threw a TD in the inter-squad scrimmage. I think tonight vs. Dickson County should give us some idea of how the passing game will be. The defense is definitly the strongest part of the team right now, even without one of there best players ( Barry Turner, out for around a week with an ankle injury ) they have looked very impressive. I also think the kicking game will improve a lot, once again, tonight should anwser some questions.

27-10. DCHS drove the ball down the field on the first drive for a field goal. The Eagles came back to take a 14-4 lead at the half, making it 27-3 before DCHS scored late.

Both teams were as sloppy as you might suspect in a first week scrimmage. Many muffs, fumbles and execution problems. BA's O-Line turned very dominant once they woke up, as did the defense. Bowker looked a bit nervous at first, then settled down to play well. Griffin and cason played well at Linebacker, and Tyree Ford and Tremaine Townsend both had long runs. Clearly, Barry Turner was missed, as DE looked to be one of the weaker spots. Tyler Baker seems to have won the kicking and punting jobs.

Interesting that for the most part, BA platooned tonight...very different, and not sure how long it will last. Good practice for both teams.

Edited by itzme

Very good assesment by itzme, we definitly have a lot of work to do, but all things considered I would call tonight a success. The starting D only gave up 3 points- despite missing their best player, and if you take away DCHS's first drive, the starting defense played almost perfect.

The offense has so much potential in my opinion. There are so many playmakers such as Ryan White, Treymayne Townsend, and Tyler Griffin that, once they find there role in the offense, will make tons of big plays. Things were kind of shaky tonight with two fumbles and an INT, but with more practice mistakes like these will be limited and the offense has a chance to be very productive.

All signs point to Baker handling all of the kicking duties this year. He did the punting and was 3/3 on xp's, while Varn missed his xp attempt.

Concerning the scrimmage last night. slow start fast recovery!! Passing game NOT THERE!!! Punting- seen better in middle school- 1 punt- 18 yards. This is going to put a ton of pressure on the defense. If we have to punt from our own 10 yard line the other team will only have to drive 30 yards for a touchdown or just kick a field goal right then!!! Ryan White, outstanding heart. Many yards after first contact. Brad needs to stop trying to throw a "frozen rope" on every pass. He MUST get more accurate. You just can't miss a wide open man 15 yards away by 7 yards and have it intecepted. Great hustle by Searcy to recover fumble that led to 7 points after that interception. I'm sure another week of two-a-days will solve most of these problems, but we may need to do a school-wide search for a punter who can kick it more than 30 yards.

Edited by B.A. Always