Why not Jordan Jeffers at 5'9 170

olhickory

Here is what I just don't understand. Why is it that Phillip Fulmer and UT will tell Jordan Jeffers that he is just too small, yet they will take a verbal commitment from the player from Symrna. I just don't see the big difference in the two ball players. And when it comes to speed, I read in the paper this morning about the Symrna player running a 10.4 100m, and his time for the 200m and the 400m, but I didn't read anything about him winning any of those events. Jeffers won the 200, 400, and placed 3rd in the 100, which was his worst time of the season. At the region sectionals he ran a legit 10.6, running past the speedster Albert Harris from Austin-East. Anyone have a good reason why UT didn't give him a chance?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is an excellent point; particularly when you consider the track aspects. I believe the kid from Smyrna is going to run track at UT also, but Jeffers track resume is as good if not better. From a track standpoint (Iknow there are not that many scholarships), I believe that UT really missed on Jeffers.

Edited by marcvols

I think this is an excellent point; particularly when you consider the track aspects. I believe the kid from Smyrna is going to run track at UT also, but Jeffers track resume is as good if not better. From a track standpoint (Iknow there are not that many scholarships), I believe that UT really missed on Jeffers.

I don't think so. UT's track program can get a lot better track athletes than Jordan. Jordan is a fine track athlete, but his times shade in comparison to state champions all across the country. They can get a 10.2 and 21.2 guy on a full scholarship at UT.

As far as football goes, this Smyrna kid may have been somebody they believe has more potential than Jordan or is soebody that fits a mold better than Jordan.

Just my .02$

I haven't seen the Jeffers kid, but Fulmer apparently isn't the only coach that missed on him. Now, if he was going to UK,MTSU,Memphis, or another D-I school I may have agreed with you, but if those schools didn't sign him either, I can't say Phillip missed on him. All of those schools, plus Bama and others were in on the Johnson kid.

A recruiting service now has Johnson as a UT commitment and they list him at (5'11, 185) with a 4.4 to 4.5 40 time and someone stated on a UT board he has a 35 inch VJ that is why he is being recruited as a defensive back!

He has good speed could be a good special teams player will probably take a red shirt season when/if he gets to UT! Its a long time till signing day!