SHONEY'S PRESEASON ALL-MIDSTATE

SCRAPPY

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FatCat and Topnight, thanks for the common sense props. I am the editor of Prep Scrapbook. Four years ago, we started a magazine that covers nothing but high school football in middle Tennessee. Last year, Shoney's got on board for our year-end All-Midstate team issue. The Scrapbook staff picks the teams. Is it perfect? Not by a long shot. Witness the Kelso selection. I'm working off of '03 rosters and the height, weight and classes are taken from them unless I've talked to the Coach since. We're covering 111 midstate teams, making it impossible for every team to be included. I've talked to many coaches for the issue. Not all. Witness my recent long distance billings. I tried to provide a reasonable mix of 1A through 5A while including some producers who'd be considered small by recruiting standards. I appreciate the feedback - even the negative if you can believe that. Buy a copy of our MIDSTATE PREVIEW ISSUE. It's just $3 freaking dollars (call 615-353-7858 after 5 p.m. to order). After that - if you still feel the need to critique, knock yourself out. There's no such thing as bad publicity.

I wish that there were some sort of universal coaches' submission that would more accurately grade players. The old addage is 40 speed, # of reps at 225lbs etc.

Why in the world can't coaches submit their players to a dozen different tests and then send that to one body for publication. If TSSAA were interested in helping kids get more scholarship money they could make it a requirement. I think this type of requirement might help a dozen or so kids from across the state receive scholarships that are not getting them now. TSSAA could hold a combine by Region every saturday during the summer

I wish that there were some sort of universal coaches' submission that would more accurately grade players. The old addage is 40 speed, # of reps at 225lbs etc.

Why in the world can't coaches submit their players to a dozen different tests and then send that to one body for publication. If TSSAA were interested in helping kids get more scholarship money they could make it a requirement. I think this type of requirement might help a dozen or so kids from across the state receive scholarships that are not getting them now. TSSAA could hold a combine by Region every saturday during the summer

Nope! Won't work. Too good of an idea! thumb

Why in the world can't coaches submit their players to a dozen different tests and then send that to one body for publication. If TSSAA were interested in helping kids get more scholarship money they could make it a requirement.  I think this type of requirement might help a dozen or so kids from across the state receive scholarships that are not getting them now. TSSAA could hold a combine by Region every saturday during the summer

BigDogDaddy,

Good idea in concept, but I think reality won't allow it. The main reason being that the colleges won't necessarily trust the numbers the coaches submit because they know the coaches are trying to support their players. Hence, you get inflated and unrealistic stats that colleges don't know if they can trust.

That is a big part of why colleges have their own camps (along with selling the school to the kids). They want to measure for themselves. Or, they may trust a respected combine for high school kids.

Just don't think it would ever work unless it was a centralized TSSAA event held at a common location (or maybe 3 locations for east, middle, and west) and evaluated by common judges so there is uniformity throughout the evaluation.

Edited by FatCat

I agree TSSAA needs to be the governing body so as to add legitamacy. Seems like all that playoff money should go toward something more constructive than lawyers!

TSSAA Combine in Jackson, Murfreesboro and Knoxville with results posted on their website for all to see! High School coaches can only watch from the stands while TSSAA officials and College coaches administer tests. $25 bucks a kid X average roster of 40 players X 115 schools in the midstate alone = $115,000. The best thing to do is have someone like the Shriners involved so that a majority of the money could go to charity! They could do it in conjunction with the East West game where the results would be sold in the program!

Edited by BigDogDaddy

FATCAT,

I was surprised to see Roger Herndon on the 3d team, but then looking at the guys ahead of him, I guess it fits except for one guy. That doesn't take anything away from Roger being a stud runningback. He will be playing DI ball next year.

I do agree that Roger is a great high school running back. As far as D1 back next year, no, nickel back, good chance.

Travis Sikes over Austin Rogers?

You have got to be kiddin right?

Austin has received scholarships from multiple SEC schools and doesnt make it over Sikes. Rogers ran a 4.4 at the LSU Nike Camp and dominated Vanderbilts one day camp. Just my two cents worth.

It's great to see you back on the boards , expert. I agree, how can u put Sikes over Rogers. I know Sikes is a great athlete, but how many scholarships has he been offered and to what schools. Rogers is the kind of player that doesn't come around too much. His athleticism is superior to most all WR in the mid-state. That is just my opionion though. You gettin' on that Ram Train early this year, Expert. It really doesnt matter what kinda WR the Mid-state pulls out, they can't handle the east, right? Haha.