Possible Classification changes!

Francis

4A Football in East Tennessee is harder than 5A. Maryville would win a lot of games in 5A just like they do in 4A.

That is not true. Imagine having to play D-B,Science Hill, Jeff. Co.,and Sevier County every year as regularly scheduled games. Assuming you make it to the state semi-finals, you might end up playing not only those teams in one year, but you might end up playing Oak Ridge and Ooltewah or William Bount onm the way. Then you meet Riverdale. You can not sit here and tell me Maryville could go undefeated against all those teams in one season. Its not possible. Welcome to 5-A football.

You play Central, Powell, and Mo-West. :lol:

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sevier County used to be real tough but the new Pigeon Forge High School has killed them. Science Hill is no powerhouse. Jeff County is up and down. DB is good though.

Central and MOWest could easily compete with Oak Ridge or Dobyns Bennett. Cleveland is usually a handful.

Maryville would have trouble with Riverdale. Almost every team in 5A has trouble with Riverdale. I would like for Maryville to play them.

Bottom Line. Maryville can compete with any team in Tennessee. I am not saying that Maryville can beat any team at any time. I know Maryville could hold their own vs the Super 7 or the 5A Schools. I know that there are years where several of those strong 5A or Super7 schools would whip Maryville.

I know another thing. Until last season when MOWest went to the 4A State Title game, A team from Region 3 4A has went to the 4A State Title Game every year since 1996.

1996. Knox Halls

1997.Maryville

1998.Maryville

1999. Knox Central

2000. Maryville

2001. Maryville

2002. Maryville

RebelRon makes some great points. The schools gator used were middle of the road 4A teams in his comparison. Sometimes those schools will have a really good team, but not year in and year out. I am not a Maryville fan. Just the opposite, my kid plays at Central. But Maryville will do well in 5A. I would also like to know the number of players that most of the 5A schools have on a team. Many of the teams in 3-4A have 70-80 kids or more. Maryville, Central, Cleveland, MoWest win because they are well coached and have great traditions. Not just because they have more team members.

I am not saying Maryville will join 5A and waltz thru to the Clinic Bowl. But they will be a force to be dealt with.

As far as 4A being better than 5A in East TN, that may be a year to year deal, but it would be fun to pair off the top 5 teams in each class and have them play. Kinda like a Big Ten-ACC challenge.

BHS,

This is my last comment on the subject.

I was trying to make a reasoned argument for why Maryville will stay in 4A if possible, because that is what the tread is about. Look, I know this is the case I have spoken to more than one coach about it.

It has nothing to do with comfort zones, (whatever that is), it is simple economics.

A simple economic lesson for you. Say you have ten dollars to spend for all your football expenses. If you can stay in 4A your total expenses for travel are 3-4 dollars. If you decide to, "Step UP", (whatever that means), your travel expenses now increase to 5-6 dollars of that ten.

Now you have to put off buying equipment, team activities, etc. Because you have an increase of 20% in your travel expenses.

Now your the Maryville AD....Tell us what you would do.

I am not even going to comment on Maryville's ability to compete in 5A. It is a silly argument at this point...there is no point to it at all. We will see in time.

Again BHS make your check payable to: Maryville Booster Club. Hey, start a trend,

fight the nonsense TSSAA system, social injustice whatever :lol:

Edited by RedReb

BHS,

you caused me to break my word....

YES, YES, YES, for Maryville it is absolutely much more expensive to play in 5A.

Right now our far trip is MoWest the rest of our games are local in Blount and knox county. If we went 5A we would without a doubt travel to the Chattanooga area,(100 miles), or to Kingsport, ( 110 miles), or more likely both.

Read my last two posts. It is a no-brainer for the Maryville AD. We will stay in 4A until forced to move up....It is an economic issue nothing else.

It may not be more expensive for your school because of the number of 5A schools in the Nashville area. But, to play 5A out of Blount County means an expensive addition for travel and every AD in the state is looking for ways to make the dollars go farther, If they can avoid the travel they will.

There will come a day when we are in 5A. Hopefully after all of mine are finished playing. I don't care what classification they play in but, I love not having to drive a long way to see they play.

Maryville will stay in 4A if they can...It boils down to one thing....Money!!!!

If Maryville has to move up to 5A that will be great....BUT....We would be nuts to move up to 5A if we are not compled to do so because of the greatly increased travel cost that we would incur. Not to mention the increased cost to the great Community that support the team.

I know that this is not going to satisfy all you roosters crowing about us moving to 5A....but it really is that simple..MONEY...MONEY....MOOONEEY.

If that does not make you happy....call the TSSAA...We are not to blame for the crazy classification system.

High school sports is about local rivalries.  I for one am glad that most of our games are local...it should be that way across the state. Why would we move to 5A and have to travel 100 miles one way several times a year when we can spare ourselves the expense/Hassle...to play teams..well that no one knows/cares anything about anyway.

That was one of the best points of the Z-Plan....bring back local rivalries

Hey, if it will make you feel better write a check payable to the Maryville Booster Club and fight this injustice...no contribution too small.

So basically Maryville does not want to come out of their comfort zone? We have to travel to either Johnson City, Kingsport, Jeff. Co., or Sever Co.(2 of the 4 each year) and you think that doesn't have an impact on our play? Maryville needs to get wher it belongs and come up and play with the big boys. I know for a fact Maryville can certainly afford to travel just as well as a Sevier County or Karns can. So its not travel costs. Its time to step up.

Sorry can't let this slip. First if you think Maryville is afraid to move "UP" as you call it into 5A, you might think again. Maryville would have an easier road to the state game in 5A in East TN than it now has in 4A. Nothing magical about beating the usual two top 5A programs, Oak Ridge and DB in east. MHS scrimmages these teams now and has little trouble competing. Sure you might think a scrimmage is nothing, but it is an indicator of the strength of a team. Maryville may get to 5A that does not mean the work ethic will change within the current program and they certainly won’t lie down. Stepping up is what these kids do, year in and year out.

I would like to know how 5A East teams would feel about that Red Swarm coming to their place every other year. You think DB, OR, JC and Sevier Co would have an easier road if they had to come to Maryville in the post season? Think again. If Maryville went 5A we could have half a region right here in Blount Co with WB and Heritage. You think MHS would have little trouble competing with these local up-coming programs? I agree it is a money issue, everything is. If and when MHS gets the enrollment numbers they will, without a whimper step into 5A, and be competitive but I don't agree it is the "Home Of the best and the biggest".

i find it hilarious that a Bearden fan is taking swipes at Maryville !! believe me BHS , you don't want no part of Maryville !! no slight to Bearden , but if Maryville was to land in your region ............ well it wouldn't be pretty .

I would love to play Maryville every year, and I'd say we're not the only 5-A team that would enjoy that every year. You taking a swipe at me is just pure arrogance. Maryville hasthe players, the money, and the initiative to mive up to 5-A. In all other sports, they are class AAA, and don't seem to have a problem traveling in that situation.

I would love a piece of Maryville, seeing as we play real big time football programs in Tennessee and not ones built on hype.