BEST RUNNING BACKS IN TSSAA HISTORY

briarcrest23

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sneaky, that was a classic game. I thought you guys had us when you returned the opening punt for a touchdown.

Well, you begged the question out of me...if that BA team was the second best you played against, who was the best?

94' Riverdale but not by much

Ah, another classic team. That must've been a heck of a game, too. :angry:

what about the 91 MUS team with Marc MacMillan, John Sartelle, and Hart Weatherford? did any of yall play against them?

Old school response here:

Jimmy Woods-one of the Clarksville teams in the 70's

George Volkert-Litton High School in the 50's- GA Tech All American

Harry Majors-Mt. Juliet in the 70's

Potter from Goodlettsville-70's

Tony Glover-Antioch-70's

There was a kid from Oak Ridge in the 70's also who went on to play at Western Kentucky, forget his name but when the corner was turned-he was a blur.

Edited by flngrvy

Ralph King Riverdale has to be the most overrated player to have come out of football ( In 2000 state championship football game he couldn't hold Gerald Riggs

jock strap )

You are out of your mind if you think Ralph King was not a good back ...look at his numbers yeah Griggs is good too but dont take credit away from King

Edited by kccc

If u are in search of the best running back in TSSAA History, you would have to take a trip down to lower hardeman county. I currently can't recall the name of the school, but they were know for their dominatination of the football field back in the early 20s. There was a running back by the name of JonRufus Leroy Henning. I have one vivid memory of a game where he rushed for over 450yards on 45carries, on a cold snowy night in november. With the bad conditions of the then segrageted schools, they couldnt afford enough equipment for the whole team, so when offense and defense had to share equipment. Henning was not only a good runner he was tough, in the game of his 400+ yd performance he did it barefootedly, because of the finacial woes of the great depression he couldnt afford shoes or even socks. Also he had no breaks because that game his team only had 10 people that night because half of his teammates were drafted into the war and half of his teammate's parents wouldnt let them play that night, and the other half were somewhere in alabama picking cotton in the blazing hot sun, and the other half of his team died the week before in one of the first recorded racist acts of the ADA in co-ordaniance with the kkk. most people have prolly never heard of him because at that time it was hard for african americans to get noticed in a society ruled by jim crow laws. JonRufus Leroy Henning later became the first african american player to be on the roster of a mlb team but sadly he was assasinated before he could play his first game.