BEST RUNNING BACKS IN TSSAA HISTORY

briarcrest23

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this threads about most talent, but if you were to say the runnigback that meant the most to his team you'd have to say Chase Tipton of Heritage. Back in 2001 Heritage won 1 game, just one. The game they won though was against state power Oak Ridge, and if I can recall he had over or close to 300 yards rushing, I mean this kid was almost literally the whole team, he had like 47 or 48 carries. Without Chase, Heritage would've been blown out that game, and beat even worse than they were that season.

Tremaine turner of springfield(95-98) definately has to be considered. He broke all the records at a school that has a rich tradition of great running backs Ricky Chatman, Micheal Thomas, and chico gardner just to mention a few. He played in a great region at the same time as folks like santonio Beard and John Henderson and the teams knew he was getting the ball almost every time because of a nonexisting passing game.

Mario McElrath--Union City

Best game by a back that I ever saw was Terrance Bell of Huntingdon going over,through and around David Lipscomb in the Class 2A State Championship game last year...Over 300 yards and 6 td's in a state championship game? Please!

Mario would be at a Nebraska or Tennesee now had he not gotten in trouble with the law.Sad Story.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand...one of the best backs I've seen play is Clarksville Northeast/Tennessee HB Travis Stephens.  In the 1995 BA-Northeast classic 5A Quarters showdown, Stephens carried the NE offense.  Even though they couldn't scape the endzone paint (BA won 7-3), he got them close on several occasions.

825284919[/snapback]

I second that motion. I saw Stephens play against Henry County that year. He was amazing. He exploded with speed as soon as he touched the ball.