Who are the best lineman in DII?

CrusaderBZ76

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Birdsong and Forte didn't face each other in the Clinic Bowl. Forte was an offensive tackle and Birdsong didn't play defense. Birdsong was also an offensive tackle, but Forte was a noseguard, meaning he was playing against the center and guards of MBA. Stephen Burris, who Birdsong was blocking, did have double-digit tackles I believe in the Clinic Bowl. In my opinion Birdsong is overrated; he's not very athletic, just big.

I believe I'm correct in saying that Nick Forte would eat Birdsong for breakfast.

Thank you and make it a great day!

Yeah right. Look at the tape from last year. Birdsong had no problem with him.

Apparently you never saw the tape. They never even touched each other. They are both very good players...among the best in the state.

I consider myself biased on this subject but nevertheless I will attempt to give an unbiased opinion. Having played along side Birdsong and againt Nick Forte, I believe that one cannot compare the two. I don't mean that one is much better than the other. The fact is the two are completely different players. Forte relies solely on strength while playing defense. I believe he could be more effective in a system in which he could stunt rather than play 1-2 yards off the ball in a more reactive scheme, he would be able to catch opposing guards and centers off balance and let the strength do the work. BA's scheme doesn't provide for much of a pass rush from the nose guard so I don't really know if he has any moves. Either way it's hard to work anything other than a swim or rip playing nose. OK, enough of that. What has been left out of this discussion is the fact that MBA and BA run two completely different offenses which demand different skills. In BA's smashmouth offense the OLine can rely on strength. However MBA's mini-NCAA-NFL style offense places a huge emphasis on pass protection and outside zone blocking. Here Birdsong can use his strength and athleticism whether it is a run or a pass. Being an MBA alum and a primary source of info I'd say Birdsong is the better player. But they are two different systems. Even still I don't imagine that match-up ever happening which is too bad. And I know for a fact that Burris did not have double-digit tackles during the Clinic Bowl. He was a worthy opponent but not much of a match-up. I can't wait to see my Big Red face the Eagles this year.

I consider myself biased on this subject but nevertheless I will attempt to give an unbiased opinion. Having played along side Birdsong and againt Nick Forte, I believe that one cannot compare the two. I don't mean that one is much better than the other. The fact is the two are completely different players. Forte relies solely on strength while playing defense. I believe he could be more effective in a system in which he could stunt rather than play 1-2 yards off the ball in a more reactive scheme, he would be able to catch opposing guards and centers off balance and let the strength do the work. BA's scheme doesn't provide for much of a pass rush from the nose guard so I don't really know if he has any moves. Either way it's hard to work anything other than a swim or rip playing nose. OK, enough of that. What has been left out of this discussion is the fact that MBA and BA run two completely different offenses which demand different skills. In BA's smashmouth offense the OLine can rely on strength. However MBA's mini-NCAA-NFL style offense places a huge emphasis on pass protection and outside zone blocking. Here Birdsong can use his strength and athleticism whether it is a run or a pass. Being an MBA alum and a primary source of info I'd say Birdsong is the better player. But they are two different systems. Even still I don't imagine that match-up ever happening which is too bad. And I know for a fact that Burris did not have double-digit tackles during the Clinic Bowl. He was a worthy opponent but not much of a match-up. I can't wait to see my Big Red face the Eagles this year.

I love detailed posts...thanks, AintSkeerd. You just provided my football-famished mind with a morsel of nourishment. :rolleyes:

One thing about these two linemen is for sure: barring injury, they will both dominate this year.

Edited by WesVols