WORST HEARTBREAKING LOSSES

westtn2004state

the most heart wrenching loss i can remember was 1999 3rd round of the playoffs... (5-A)

Hendersonville was 12-0

Murf. Oakland was 9-3 .... 1 loss came from Hend. in week 2 but won 9 straight

HHS and Oak. had played in the 98 clinic bowl

HHs 24- Oak 46 ish.. that sounds close.

99 reg season ( in the same region)

Oak 14- HHS 28

3rd round of the playoffs. infront of about 13,000 fans (accord to box sales)

the box score was as follows

1 2 3 4

Murf Oakland 7 6 0 14 27

Hendersonville 7 6 7 7 27

Hendersonville was down 7 with 58 sec to go, threw a pic, but then recovered a Oak fumble on the 8 yrd line and Justin Wall scored with the clock reading 00:20 .

in OT HHS went 4 and out

and Oak scored on 3rd and goal on a QB sweep out of shot gun.... 33-27 Oak

which Oak promptly losty to Sevier Co. who killed Glencliff in the finals... that hurt more than the loss.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Believe the year was 1985, Maryville versus Austin East at Maryville.  Last play before the half, AE kicks something like a 40 yard field goal (unheard of back then).  That was the final score, 3-0.  :D  We held Leroy Thompson to something like 18 yards on 11 carries and he was hurt just before the half.  That was the most emotionally draining game I have ever saw.

825311660[/snapback]

Was that the game where the AE and Maryville coaches got in a fight at the end of the game?

Edited by dmoyers1

Greenbrier[/url]Cat2,Aug 24 2004 - 11:35 AM]On the flipside, I think Crockett was a little brokenhearted themselves last year in the playoffs when Greenbrier brought them down.

825311855[/snapback]

That was just some payback ;) Once again, thanks to all the guys that had a hand in that one thumb

Edited by GBT57

Was that the game where the AE and Maryville coaches got in a fight at the end of the game?

825313266[/snapback]

There was an altercation in the 1986 game from what I remember. AE was very cocky when Sam Anderson coached them. Sam Anderson was to Maryville what Steve Spurrier was to UT. Anderson loved to say things about Maryville.Anderson was very brash and cocky. I respect Stanton Stevens 10 times more than I do Sam Anderson. Stanton Stevens is a very classy guy.

1973 or 74 - McKenzie vs Huntingdon, it'd been 10 years since McKenzie had beaten them and McKenzie was unbeaten. McKenzie led 20 - 0 before Huntingdon comes back strong and takes the lead 21 - 20. With less than 40 seconds to go McKenzie gets the kickoff and after a few plays Terry Bateman hits Randy Franks on a 50 yrd pass play. Bateman kicks a 43 yrd FG as time runs out.

Funny thing was that most of the Huntingdon fans departed after Huntingdon scored the go ahead TD.