WORST HEARTBREAKING LOSSES

westtn2004state

Union City vs. Alcoa....State Championship game

UC comes in undefeated and ranked number 1....Commences to stink up all of Murfreesboro in the first half and trails 27-0 at halftime....

Completely dominates Alcoa in the second half ... comes from behind and trails Alcoa 27-20..Has the ball inside the five time running out 4th and goal Mario McLrath (Mr. Football Award Winner) takes the ball to the 1 ft line and is stopped by a kicker(no less)..Turnover on downs and Alcoa survives....

825306561[/snapback]

Definitely had to be heartbreaking for a UC fan. It was actually 4th and goal with less than a yard and McElrath got stopped.

The worst though would have to be Alcoa vs. Goodpasture in 2001, semi-finals.

Alcoa was leading 13-10, with less than a minute to go and they were punting from the goaline. All they had to do was get the punt off, but it was blocked and Goodpasture went on to fall on it in the endzone. Alcoa completed a long pass, and then another but it was called back for unsportsmanlike conduct, and the next play we threw an interception, and the game was over.

Goodpasture 17

Alcoa 13

Goodpasture went on to beat McKenzie in the state championship 14-3 I believe. And I just kept thinking to myself that we should've had consecutive state titles.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely had to be heartbreaking for a UC fan.  It was actually 4th and goal with less than a yard and McElrath got stopped.

The worst though would have to be Alcoa vs. Goodpasture in 2001, semi-finals.

Alcoa was leading 13-10, with less than a minute to go and they were punting from the goaline.  All they had to do was get the punt off, but it was blocked and Goodpasture went on to fall on it in the endzone.  Alcoa completed a long pass, and then another but it was called back for unsportsmanlike conduct, and the next play we threw an interception, and the game was over.

Goodpasture 17

Alcoa 13

Goodpasture went on to beat McKenzie in the state championship 14-3 I believe.  And I just kept thinking to myself that we should've had consecutive state titles.

825310047[/snapback]

It was 4th and goal and Mario was stopped at the one yard line..went back to the paper to check and also a pic of the play is there also...

Goodpasture beat Martin Westview in 2001

Biggest heartbreaker:  In the quarterfinals of the playoffs in 2002, Blackman led Riverdale 13-10 with about 3-4 minutes left.  We dad stopped the Warrior offense all night long and then Derente Frazier for RHS ran 60 something yards for the TD and the win, 17-13. 

second biggest:  In the second round of the playoffs in 2001, Blackman led Riverdale in the Second quarter 16-0.  RHS made it 16-6 at halftime and 16-13 going into the fourth.  RHS came back from down 16-0 and won 27-16.  They went on to win state, but Blackman was the only team all season to be leading against RHS at halftime.

Ohh every time i think about those games its always "what if" or "we were so close" those were two of the worst/best memories in school.

Franklin-Hendersonville, 2003 playoffs. Game goes into overtime. Both teams score on their first possesion. Franklin took the extra point. but Hendersonville went for two....Dobbs, gets stuff at the 1 yard line.

825307133[/snapback]

Funny how one game can be a heartbreaking loss to one and a favorite win to another... sorry RB that it happened to be your team we had to beat to go to the semis for the first time ever.

Most hearbreaking for me... FHS falls to Brentwood in quarterfinals in 2002. My last game to watch as a student at Franklin and we were coming back only to throw an INT in the endzone on our last drive. Though really, it's a tossup between that game and the FHS-Germantown game. Franklin takes 10-0 lead only to try ball control against the Red Devils and letting them score 17 unanswered to win the game and the next week beat Riverdale. :D The sad memories...

In 1999 Maryville/William Blount, the game was close the entire time. It went into overtime and Maryville scored first. William Blount answered and then went for two and the win. Six times William Blount failed to convert the 2 points, and six times flags were thrown against Maryville, the 7th time the play is converted and no flags were anywhere...William Blount fans stormed the field, Maryville fans stood in the stands stunned.

Believe the year was 1985, Maryville versus Austin East at Maryville. Last play before the half, AE kicks something like a 40 yard field goal (unheard of back then). That was the final score, 3-0. :D We held Leroy Thompson to something like 18 yards on 11 carries and he was hurt just before the half. That was the most emotionally draining game I have ever saw.

Guest Oakland

1997- oakland, with a very young team 1 season before their state championship run, jumps put to a 28-0 lead against oak ridge, who was a top 5 team in 5a at the time, only to lose the lead, letting oak ridge coming all the way back to tie at 28 and then losing it in overtime on a missed pat. but its all good, we got our revenge the following year at oak ridge 21-10 :rolleyes:

I would have to say the 1996 Clinic Bowl Knoxville Webb-Goodpasture 2A Title Game.

It was a David-Goliath matchup. Goodpasture came into the game 14-0 the defending state champions and winners of 24 games in a row. Webb had 2 of its free 4 games, and didnt win its region title that season. Goodpasture came into the game averaging 300 yards rushing and 150 yards passing a game and scoring 35 points a game. Webb was also playing without its starting QB Hal Bibee. Webb and G'Pasture had played 2 times previously GP won at home 42=6 in 1991 and Webb winning at home 21-10 in 1992.

Webb, a 16 point underdog in the Tennessean, quickly grabbed and early 13-0 lead on the Cougars before we could blink. But Goodpasture resonded in the second quarter to score two touchdowns, but missed both extra points and trailed 13-12 at the half.

The Cougars had kicking problems on their first drive of the second half. Goodpasture drove all the to 15 yard line and missed a 32-yard field goal attempt. Webb took a 20-12 advantage after forcing a Cougar fumble and recovering it inside the 10 yard line. Matt Husky, who had a career day, 143 yards on 18 carries and 3 touchdowns, scored from 2 yards out. Husky had only one 100 rushing game in the 10 game regular season, but it was his 5th of the playoffs.

Goodpasture scored with about 7 minutes remaining the 4th quarter and made the two -point try to tie the score at 20.

On the ensuing kickoff Jared Corby of Webb found a seem a busted all the way down the Cougar 9 yard line. Husky went over from one yard out to give the Spartand a 27-20. The Cougars final chance went away when a 4th down pass sailed out of bounds.

This was the last 2A privite-privite Title game.

The Cougar senior class finished with a 4-year record of 39-15, best 4-year record in school history.

State Title 1995

State Runner-up 1996