WORST HEARTBREAKING LOSSES

westtn2004state

2000- Sunbright vs. Lookout Valley, First round playoffs. After Sunbright went 10-0 during the regular season by running over the opposition by an average of over 25 points, Sunbright got ready to play South Pittsburg in the first round but on the wednesday before the game South Pittsburg was disqualified for using a ineligible player,Lookout Valley took their place, so Lookout Valley found out about this a week before it was official so they started preparing for Sunbright before South Pittsburg even found out and with only one day to prepare Sunbright lost by about 18.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know these games don't quite match up to other games on here, but these are some that have been bothering people in Clinton for a while.

1) 2001 when we played at Anderson County. Our best shot to beat them in a long time and we almost did. It was a very close game, but I don't remember all the details and stats and stuff. I know we were losing 35-28 in the 4th quarter. We score and our coach decides to go for 2, even though we now have momentum and would have won in overtime. We don't make it! We get the ball back with under 2 minutes left and we drive down to attempt a 40 yard field goal. The kicker is one my best friends, he was a freshman soccer player who tried out for the team. The snap is good, the hold is good, the kick is no where near good. I felt so bad for him. :)

2) As someone posted before, the Oak Ridge game at home in 2003. We could have tied the game at 27 with well under a minute to go. Instead of running the ball from the 1 (which we had had success with), that same coach from the game above decided to pass. It's intercepted and they run the time out. :)

The most devastating loss to me was my senior year at Mt. Juliet (2002 Season). Michael Bochette had just been buried that day. We were playing Lebanon. I was at left tackle on offense. We were driving down the field late in the 4th quarter, I believe. Zac White gets the ball and steps up and throws for a first down and very close to the endzone. But wait...FLAG. The head referee contended that Zac had crossed the line of scrimmage before throwing. The tape of the game clearly shows Zac BEHIND the line of scrimmage and not even being close to it. Needless to say, it pushed us back far enough we didn't get the first down and had to turn the ball over. MJ loses 20-16. Now, it wasn't that the ref stole the game from us that is devastating, it was merely that both teams were playing their hearts out, especially MJ. I personally had dedicated my game to Michael, as many of my other teammates did as well. My most devastating and hurtful loss was to Lebanon, 2002. RIP Michael Bochette.