Franklin 25 Lincoln County 19

FHSrebel27

Even though Franklin might not have the players that it did last year, it still has the coaches. They did an amazing job of completely changing EVERYTHING that they did on offense and defense. they came out with a two back set in the first half and then switched quarterbacks and went to a shotgun formation. I was quite impressed with the way Franklin was able to switch offensive schemes and still be effective. On defense they were unable to stop Gregory before half but came out in the second half with a new package and fire and were able to stop Gregory. Both teams did well for the first game but it seems that Franklin just out coached it's opponents.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The paper said that the "second string" quarterback Mikrut came in in the second half. Actully I think he was the third string! Since camp started we have gone round and round with QBs and while some may think we have "found" our QB. I'd still beg to differ. Now don't get me wrong,I think the world of Mikrut, and he was incredible last night! I've never seen a QB in HS throw a laser guided pass back to the left while on a dead sprint to the right and put it in the only place two defenders could'nt get it but our receiver did (two point conversion). But there are still two QBs we haven't seen, and one of those, Mac Hibbett #14, may, mind you I said may, be better than Mikrut.

Edited by BigDogDaddy

Good job coming back Rebels, taking Gregory out of the game, and chalking up your first win. After the first half, I thought you guys had some serious issues-but superior coaching made the difference. Mikrut definitely gives you more options than the starter (one attempted pass in the first half-Franklin football?).  Secondary had trouble all night. I also think your side outcoached the visitors, particularly the second half.  And your kicking game is the best I've seen since Bliss/Vaughn at BA.  That will prove to be a HUGE weapon going forward-particularly with a young team.

Lincoln County-is less than one dimensional called "fractional-dimensional?"

Problem 1: Absolutely no kicking game and a grade school punting game forced you into some pitiful options-that all blew up in your face. And the protection schemes looked like you drew them up before the game. With no kicking/punting game, you gave up field position routinely. Give anyone a short field enough times-they will score on you.

Problem 2:  For the vast majority of the game, either your QB couldn't hit the receiver or the receiver couldn't catch a beach ball.  No short or intermediate routes called (or run) when needed. So what does Franklin do?-dares you to show that you can beat them through the air. Franklin put 8-9-10-11 players in the box-and yet all you can do is give it to Gregory.  That's what NO passing game does to you-and against Tim Johnson, you better have more than one weapon. 

Problem 3: Announcers said Gregory has hamstring issues. He also wore down noticeably.  Fact is, once Franklin figured out that you give the ball to Gregory 85% of the time, shut him down and stop the run-you can't beat them. 

Problem 4:  With no offense (see 2,3) and no way to change field position (see 1) the defense spent too much time on the field and wore down.  Did you make any adjustments in the second half?

Good job Rebels, way to show them what 6-5A (and WillCo) football is like in 2004.

Better news for everyone-it was the first game and no upside/downside for Region totals.

825308509[/snapback]

Hey "Expert", If I were you I don't think that I would be making any reservations for the Blue Cross Bowl, just yet. Maybe if you would give Coach Thompson a call I'm sure that he will let you be his new offense coordinator! With your expert knowledge of the game the sky will be the limit!

I was talking with a member of the 2002 Franklin Rebels (we were listening to the game online) and we both picked up on the parallels between this game and the one in 2002. The rain towards the end, the LC kicking situation, the late turnover with LC driving for the win... it was unreal.

WAY TO GO REBS!

825308329[/snapback]

here is my answer to all the problem quotes about the franklin win last night

1. Great win franklin rebels a famous coach once said that it doesn't matter if you win by a lot or just one point the fact is the best team won.....

2. DEFENSE WINS BALLGAMES... led by a great defensive mind the rebels are going to get better and better because they are begining to believe in them selfs

the second half of the game proved that. :D

Hey "Expert", If I were you I don't think that I would be making any reservations for the Blue Cross Bowl, just yet.  Maybe if you would give Coach Thompson a call I'm sure that he will let you be his new offense coordinator! With your expert knowledge of the game the sky will be the limit!

825308622[/snapback]

Falconstatman- You have all the right in the world to lash back, but you have to agree TO SOME EXTENT with what fromthe top2 says. I think both Coach Thompson and Coach Johnson were very conservative in their reigns on the untested QBs. We were stale in our play calling in the second quarter, where LC was stale in the third. Using Mikrut and some QB draws enabled us to generate some O in the third. I think had Coach Thompson let your QB open up in the third ....well so much for Monday Morning QBing.

Hind sight being 20/20 ...we should have let Campbell try a FG in the first quater from 60 yards with the 12 mile an hour wind at his back. I think we would have fired up our team if he had made it! Unlike the pros the ball comes out on the twenty if he comes up short, the punt downed the ball on the 11. Nine yards isn't alot to pay for a chance at a 60 yarder with the 5A All-State kicker!!

Edited by BigDogDaddy

Looks like the game has pretty well been covered...just a couple of comments.

The Rebel team was aggressive and hungry - I was impressed by the defense and the execution of the offense. Y'all are gonna do well this year.

The Falcons showed me they certainly have the talent to do well this year. Their final season record will depend on a few things:

1. The defense needs to develop more aggression and focus. There should be 6-8 defensive guys within five yards of the ball when the whistle blows (within reason - obviously not when a long pass is completed.)

2. The offense needs to develop a balanced running and passing attack. Ya gotta throw the ball - even if it means burning a down every so often.

3. Finally, I think the ultimate success of this team will depend on how quickly the team jells and operates as a unit without the distractions of dissention within AND without.

Let's get ready for next week!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Falcons!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beat BLACKMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, what a roller coaster ride. Franklin was down 12-7 in the first half, and came out with fire in their eyes. I saw a lot of dedication and not giving up from the Rebels last night. I also saw a lot of hard hitting along the way. If the defensive coordinator said for #44 to get Gregory out of the game, #44 sure did a heck of a job. And FHS's running back, what a player. He is a great athlete and he has very strong legs. Everybody seemed to pick it up the second half. Interesting fact : Gregory had 108 yards first half, and 102 the whole game. The second half has 6 carries for -6 yards. I give props to the Franklin Defense last night, congratulations. #9, congratulations also for carrying your team to victory. Good luck with what looks like your new starting position.