White House at Portland

timbdp

As far as I know, yeah. Better get there early Friday morning to get a seat, though.  B)  :o  I'll be in my usual spot close to that dreaded train whistle everybody hates to hear.  ;)

B)

(I love the sound of that whistle.)

825314373[/snapback]

Is the whistle actually legal, and by that I'm talking about the artificial one mounted on the home side?

The reason I ask, it seems that some teams or coaches have asked for the whistle to be turned off. It's been a long time ago, but I was able to attend the Humboldt semifinal game in the mid 1990s (Humboldt won 22-21 on a missed two-point conversion) and I seem to remember John Tucker asking for the whistle to be shut down.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, Nashville's 104.5 the Zone is covering about eight games in Middle Tennessee this week, including George Plaster's beloved BGA, which will be on the schedule every week because of his bias.

Darren McFarland has his nose stuck in Greenbrier's business all the time, and they will be on the list against David Lipscomb.

But what has been consistently one of the biggest, best, most competitive and most hotly contested games in the state, year-in and year-out, and maybe last year had one of the top five games of the year state wide, WILL NOT BE ON THE LIST.

No Portland and White House covered by 104.5 according to their schedule listed yesterday.

That's sad.

Is the game at portland or white house.  Can you just show up and attend the game, or do you have to by tickets.  What time does the game start?

825314619[/snapback]

The game starts at 7:30 and it is at Portland Middle School, the old high school, which is located in the middle of town on Hwy. 109 across from Hardees and Meadowbrook Park.

Depending on which side you plan to associate, the seating is going to be very limited. Portland does, however, have a lot of endzone space on the hill and next to the railroad tracks, so bring a lawn chair and you'll be fine if you don't get a seat. I think the stadium capacity is about 3,000 seating in bleachers. The home side will be full of regular supporters and the visitor side will fill up quick.

There is usually at least 6-7,000 at this game and most will be standing, or sitting on a hill.

You will have to buy tickets, I assume you can contact the schools early or buy them at the gate. I've never known them to actually sell out, everyone just has to stand up.

Edited by bdpweb

Just FYI...

The Tennessean has picked Portland, 28-17. Their comments note that White House has the advantage in the trenches and nowhere else and Portland will key off last year's loss.

Just a curious question...if White House has the advantage in the trenches, with returning starters at tailback, three receivers and a quarterback with a lot of experience and talent, then how exactly do the Blue Devils not have an advantage anywhere else?

I'm not downing Portland at all, I just don't think the writer did much research into these teams or this rivalry before making his comments and prediction. The game should be closer than that and the trenches aren't the only focus of talent in this game. Tennessean should do a better job with big games like this.

letsgodevils, Quit trying to make sense out of the Tennessean. Impossible. I agree WH has the advantage in the trenches, where games are won and lost. The Blue Devils, if I'm not mistaken, bring back the CLASS 4A defensive back of the year (am I correct?), all their receivers, experienced running backs, and as much quickness as I've seen in a WH team in a few years.

I believe WH will more than hold their own at the skill positions, plus, if we do control the lines of scrimmages, as the Tennessean so aptly states, what are all those great Portland skill guys goin' to do?????

Hey, we may show up and get blown out, but not if the team I saw at the jamboree shows up, 'cause that team had a good test in a 5A team and our first team handled them. If Portland thinks we are Station Camp, they are in for a big surprise.

As far as I know, yeah. Better get there early Friday morning to get a seat, though.  :(  ;)  I'll be in my usual spot close to that dreaded train whistle everybody hates to hear.  :lol:

:)

(I love the sound of that whistle.)

825314373[/snapback]

It kinda grows on you don't it Pride. I've been down there for years.

By the way, Nashville's 104.5 the Zone is covering about eight games in Middle Tennessee this week, including George Plaster's beloved BGA, which will be on the schedule every week because of his bias.

Darren McFarland has his nose stuck in Greenbrier's business all the time, and they will be on the list against David Lipscomb.

But what has been consistently one of the biggest, best, most competitive and most hotly contested games in the state, year-in and year-out, and maybe last year had one of the top five games of the year state wide, WILL NOT BE ON THE LIST.

No Portland and White House covered by 104.5 according to their schedule listed yesterday.

That's sad.

825314591[/snapback]

I heard the same thing and could not believe it. This is one of the most heated rivalries in the state and deserves the coverage. Oh well, they are just gonna miss out on one of the best games in the state this week. I guess the BGA game is more important....yeah right! :lol:

That's sad.

825314591[/snapback]

I agree. Hopefully all the local TV crews will be there. Also, does John Dwyer's Prep Blitz on News2 start this week? He does an excellent job!!!

Is the whistle actually legal, and by that I'm talking about the artificial one mounted on the home side?

The reason I ask, it seems that some teams or coaches have asked for the whistle to be turned off. It's been a long time ago, but I was able to attend the Humboldt semifinal game in the mid 1990s (Humboldt won 22-21 on a missed two-point conversion) and I seem to remember John Tucker asking for the whistle to be shut down.

825314580[/snapback]

I don't know about the legality of it, but it's been blowing for years! It doesn't interfere with play, it usually goes off when Portland scores or makes great plays both on offense and defense, after the play.

B)

(Unfortunately, I also remember that Humboldt semi-final game in 1995. Thanks for reminding me. <_< )