Maryville v.s. Alcoa

*MHSfootball*

Me personally, well i think that a factor would have to be home field advantage for maryville. But, u guys forgot all of Alcoa's talent.Most of them have been playing since they were freshmen.Yea they may play both ways, but if they keep possesion of the ball i say ballgame Alcoa.It will be a good game to watch though, and it will be high scoring.

Maryville 34

Alcoa 38

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you think alcoa is gonna keep possession all the time, have you seen maryville's defense?!?!?! them keeping possession all the time is all the more reason they will be worn out, if they have maryvilles defense hitting their backs and getting to the quarterback for more time than they have to they are definately gonna be worn out. if i had someone hitting me for 8 plays, then i punt and i have to play defense im gonna be spent in about 2 quarters, but if alcoa gets the ball and scores quick then they will have the best chance, their strategy shouldnt be to grind it out because maryville will win that battle.

Come on Turbo...Give yourself some credit...Plus, I know you got a prediction.

People have to realize that our boys have been training for 2-3 years to play both ways. They have played both ways the whole time they have been in high school. They are in good enough shape to do it. Obviously it would be nicer to have players good enough on both sides of the ball to just play one way, but in a small school like ours, you have to make the most of what we have.

MHS's D-line is extremely talented, but they will have a tough test against Alcoa's O-line. Our CB's are used to having to play big, because look at the recievers they cover in practice, Warren, Keller, Lanxter....All guys that are north of 6'1"

Both the Dave Lipscomb and the Maryville games of last year are fresh in the minds ofour veteran players, and please believe that they won't forget to patch up the wounds of last year.

Turbo

Remaining positive and showing that historic Maryville class I must say that your post is a little out there.

Maryville's defense really is growing up, but I expect they are not worried about impressing you. I bet after the game your "Duck" as you call him will be impressed. Last year all we heard down here is how Alcoa was young but talented. Well that’s where Maryville's "D" is right now. Make no mistake they will step up to the task Friday.

"There (Their) front 7 isn't physical enough". Really? Have you ever heard of a Maryville "D" that was not physical? If it is going to take 3 or 4 to tackle your man, that’s no problem because those 4 hits will more than likely be inside the box.

FBEmeritus

Last year, when we said that our team was young, but talented, it was viewed as us making excuses for when we lose. Now, I am not saying that you are making excuses, I am just saying that that is how it was viewed last year.

04, 05, 06 will be the last chances for maybe 3 years where Alcoa will make a run at Maryville. This year & Next, I say that we will make a very serious run, and give Maryville a run for their money. As I have said, I believe that we will win by a field goal.

Maryville wins -- constant training and competition for starting spots within it's own team shows and brings out the best in all the players. Senior leadership is huge within Thompson, Byner, Lawhon, etc. It may take 2-4 guys in AA to bring down one of your backs, but with the 11 months of training that Maryville does, you can bet that it won't take nearly that many in this rivalry. (The only two RB's that I've seen that take multiple people to bring down are Gerald Riggs and Carl Stewart.)

Additionally, I cannot think of a better coaching staff than Maryville's. They always come through in clutch situations with huge plays that no one expects or can stop. Of course the players are actually the playmakers, but few staffs are as creative and can read the other team as well as Maryville's. :D

It still might take more than one person to take Dustin down, IMO, I think he's just as talented as Carl Stewart was, he's got plenty of strength,(one of the top three strongest on the team), and he's a big back at 215, with that strength and size coming at you at full speed head-on, than yes it will be diffficult to bring him down. By the way; I thought Lawhon was a junior.

sittinpretty that is a good post except that lawhon is a junior. 3 or 4 guys to tackle duckie, i dont think so, i know that matt valentine can take him down, and i know that lawhon can probably take him down without having to wrap him up. alcoa has been conditioning yes, but you can only condition for so much in game situations. im guessin that whether duckie has the ball every play or not that he will be hit ever play, he may not go down, but somebody is gonna put a hat on him every play, and that will certianly tire a guy down. alcoa is good, but they arent good enough to compete with maryville in 4 quarters, maybe 2, but definately not 4, im picking Maryville by 2 tds