Cheatham Co. Schools Shut Down Athletics

ctf33

I care how much tax money is being taken out of my wallet and going towards wasteful spending at the board office. You would rather pay taxes than have no job at all... THATS CALLED COMMUNISM! People like me would rather make changes to the system rather than put more money into it and hope the problem goes away.

Cowboy... you need to be in office.

This thread is going downhill.

825342127[/snapback]

Would you consider the newly made-up central office energy chairman position that sucked 15K from the budget as wasteful? I think not.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

El Ray I am not saying your opinion is wrong. I am simply saying make better use of the money. We have these programs that are draining the money but do nothing about them. For example, at the State level the National Government has a program that matches every dollar that the state spends on road improvement. So TN spends millions of dollars every year and it will continue to get higher simply because they what that matching money. In other words it is wasteful. now when every state does that think of the debt that it puts our government in. Add on to the cuts the vehicles and gas that are provided for the Superintendants. It is so bad at the central offices that the secrataries have secrataries. Now come on that is rediculous. Teachers are asked to multi-task but at the top they have special people for every special project.

Joe I wouldn't consider that a waste but when you give him 2-3 secrataries, vehicle + gas then it gets a little wasteful. Don't really know what you are referring to but that is an example of the waste I am talking about. Would you consider paying 4-5 teachers at the the alternative school a waste because 20 or so kids can't stay out of trouble or foolow the rules a waste. Only comes out to cost the system $150,000 or so dollars. I think SO!!!

Edited by cowboys

That was a grant position from the state, no county money was spent on the Engery Zar.  :)

825342153[/snapback]

It may be grant money, but I can't think of a better example of how money is wasted in Cheatham County Schools.

Hey guys from other districts - does your school system have someone from the central office who goes around from school to school to find ways to conserve energy?? That is oh so much more important than funding the athletic dept.

It may be grant money, but I can't think of a better example of how money is wasted in Cheatham County Schools.

Hey guys from other districts - does your school system have someone from the central office who goes around from school to school to find ways to conserve energy??  That is oh so much more important than funding the athletic dept.

825342172[/snapback]

You obviously do not know what a GRANT is. From what I have heard the engery zar works for the state. The newly appointed middle school director is also a grant position. I do believe that she is under the supervision of the board though.

Don't you have a class to teach?

a grant is tax money.

funds from the county for athletics is tax money.

this NCLB and other federal stuff is tax money.

if federal and state and local wouldn't waste money on "stuff", there would be enough money.

ask the taxpaying citizens from cheatham - would they rather $3,000 of their money going to athletics and the other $12,000 being refunded to them or have $15,000 of their tax dollars (your grant) paying someone to go around and turn off the light switches.

Oh my god...

Get off your soap boxes we are not trying to fix the state wide budget woes. I have been talking about CHEATHAM COUNTY SCHOOL BOARD WASTEFUL SPENDING. That is what got us here in the first place. The board did not have a problem last year with less money. Bottem line is that we have to figure out where this money went, and how to avoid cuts that would kill sports in OUR county. Don't attack me for pointing out their mistakes. We are all on the same side Democrat/Republican Liberal/Conservative.

Edited by El Rey

Aside from all that politc crap there are ways to get money for the schools. There are plenty of business in Cheatham County, everybody loves a tax break.. ask for a donation. Some of the k-8 have talked about throwing 1k each into a pot and giving it to the high schools. The coach's pay will be there, the sports is yet to be seen. :)

Crunch time will come at the commission meeting on Monday at the Courthouse, I believe, at 7pm.

Wurd on the street is they got our back though. :)

When I say Cheatam Co. I mean the enitre county. I know that can be confusing. The way I see it is, If I was a coach which I plan to be once I graduate. I won't be coaching for the money it will be for the kids. Working with them all year getting ti know them, being a positive influence on them. Money isn't everything in the world and as soon as people find that out the happier they will be.

825340050[/snapback]

You must not have a family, because yes I love the kids, love the game, but us coaches put too much time into this for nothing! We have to support our families also.

This has been interesting reading for sure. Does anybody else get the feeling that this whole charade has been a part of the master plan? The school board knows that $9k or even the $35k they were going to cut from athletic programs was just a drop in the bucket when you're looking at $1.3 million overall. They also know the best way to get folks attention is to focus on the athletics. What this will ultimately mean is a $25 wheel tax increase this November on top of the 5% property tax increase levied after the county commission couldn't forcefeed the original wheel tax proposal. The difference is that the original wheel tax was earmarked for the general fund and I'd hope the schools could get their fair share. Now there'll be a wheel tax AND a property tax increase.

The school board has lost credibility due to their track record. They may all be good people with the students best interests in mind, but anyone could see that double routes for the school busses was NOT going to be a money saver. Hiring a new director after an extensive search and firing him after a couple of years means you didn't do a very good job with the interview process or mediocre candidates are all the system will attract. Either way it's a problem. They cut supplements 3 short years ago with the promise that it was a one year deal. Now they are cutting more supplements. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see where this is headed. In 3 more years all the coaches will be working pro bono. Bertier, will you be out of college then? Cheatham County is looking for a few good men....What I'd like to see is a third party audit of the entire school system to insure that Cheatham County is doing all it is supposed to do with it's grant monies and to see why in the heck we need 37 folks staffing central office when Dickson County manages with around 18. It also appears that it's time to elect school directors again rather than leave this responsibility to a board.

The athletics programs will go on. They are virtually self supporting now. Besides the dozens of Krispy Kreme donuts the average citizen chokes down, the chicken and ribs we buy and having teenagers wash our cars every other week during the summer, most communities will step up and support their athletic programs when the need arises. So far as I've been able to gather, the school board pays most of the coaches supplements and the electric bill for the lights. That's about it. This whole thing is just a power play between the county and school boards and they chose to use teenage kids as their pawns. Remember these folks on election day!