Cheatham Co. Schools Shut Down Athletics

ctf33

If you have a Cheatham Co. school on your schedule for this season prepare to pick up a forfeit victory and possibly lose a home gate.

Cheatham Co. schools (Cheatham Cent., Sycamore, Harpeth and all 3 middle schools) are facing the possibility of shutting down athletics due to budget cuts in the school system. The school board is faced with making a $1.3 million dollar cut. A real possibility is that all asst. coaching supplements will be cut along with most minor sport head coaching supplements. If this happens all head coaches are in agreement that their athletic programs will be shut down. Cheatham Co. currently has the fewest asst. coaches and some of the lowest supplements. The county provides no funding for athletics except paying coaches supplements. A final decision will be made at the school board meeting Monday night (held at 7:30 at CCHS in Ashland City.)

I know that this may sound like "chicken little's the sky is falling" but there is a very good chance of this happening.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have a Cheatham Co. school on your schedule for this season prepare to pick up a forfeit victory and possibly lose a home gate.

Cheatham Co. schools (Cheatham Cent., Sycamore, Harpeth and all 3 middle schools) are facing the possibility of shutting down athletics due to budget cuts in the school system.  The school board is faced with making a $1.3 million dollar cut.  A real possibility is that all asst. coaching supplements will be cut along with most minor sport head coaching supplements.  If this happens all head coaches are in agreement that their athletic programs will be shut down.  Cheatham Co. currently has the fewest asst. coaches and some of the lowest supplements.  The county provides no funding for athletics except paying coaches supplements. A final decision will be made at the school board meeting Monday night (held at 7:30 at CCHS in Ashland City.)

I know that this may sound like "chicken little's the sky is falling" but there is a very good chance of this happening.

825333796[/snapback]

This past year this happened to Hamilton County and it effected many people.

I wish school boards would stop using athletics and the lives of students, players, and coaches as pawns to their little budget battles with the county commissions. This happens every year somewhere in the state! When will school board members and county commissioners stop doing this sort of thing?

:huh: This is news to those of us on the south side of the river. Outside of coaching supplements, I can't see that the school system is providing anything for the athletics dept. I know citizen groups and private donations paid for the new softball field and running track at Harpeth and booster groups paid for the concession stand and dugout renovations for the baseball field. Each team does it's own fundraisers to put uniforms on the kids. There are basketball and baseball camps that provide money for those sports and the 2 time state champion band is raising every cent of the money they need for their new uniforms. What's Sycamore and Cheatham County Central getting that Harpeth isn't?

This same scenario played out last year in Montgomery County. It's a blackmail tactic that plays on folks emotions to get a wheel tax or property tax increase approved.

Edited by ksgovols

has this happen yet?  we play two jr. high schools later in the season

825333904[/snapback]

It's not in this weeks Ashland City Times or the South Cheatham Advocate. I don't know where ctf33 is getting his information (and I'm not disputing it), but I didn't hear anything about it at Finch's in Pegram or the Mapco in Kingston Springs!

This is the first I've heard about it.

Here's the only thing I could find on the wtvf website. Like I said, other than the coaches supplements and the electricity for the lights, I don't know that the county is paying for anything else down at Harpeth. This smells like a way to get the wheel tax to pass. The petitions placing that issue on the November ballot just got certified last week. I suspect this is just posturing for support and money.

School Leaders Crunch Numbers To Avoid Layoffs

Video

Posted: 9/1/2004 4:44:00 PM

Updated: 9/1/2004 6:33:05 PM

Cheatham County school leaders are crunching budget numbers to avoid teacher layoffs.

The school system faces a $1.3 million deficit.

On Monday, the county passed a 5 cent property tax hike, but the money will go into the county's general fund and pay for increased tonnage in garbage dumping.

Without proper funding, Cheatham County schools will have to cut programs and teaching positions, school officials said.

"Pretty soon we're going to be maxed out and if we have to do any cuts, then that is going to even make it worse for teacher load," said Jonet Williams, a teacher for the county.

School leaders said they plan to meet next week to decide how many jobs will be cut.

Edited by ksgovols

It's not in this weeks Ashland City Times or the South Cheatham Advocate.  I don't know where ctf33 is getting his information (and I'm not disputing it), but I didn't hear anything about it at Finch's in Pegram or the Mapco in Kingston Springs!

This is the first I've heard about it.

825333911[/snapback]

I saw this on the news this morning. It's pathetic that it gets to this point. Using sports as s hostage is pitiful.................

Heres what some athletes here at sycamore are planning on doing. Many of us are thinking of going to the meeting at CCHS 7:00 Monday sept 13th, and standing in the parking lot and holding up signs and stuff just to get are point across, do they not realize that if the cut sports everyones just goin be runnin the streets and doing drugs. I think athletes from all 3 schools should be there to represent there schol and their love for the sports I hope to see all yall there

One of the men in the meetings (on the news) was shown as saying something to the effect of "if it comes down to cutting these things, you'll need (protective?) vests, because people will hunt you down"

I don't condone anything violent, but if you live in Cheatham County, your voice needs to be heard!

Edited by GreenbrierCat2