Cheatham Co. Schools Shut Down Athletics

ctf33

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am speaking of ANY county here, including my own. 

IF there are going to be taxes involved, wheel taxes is the fairest way to go.  Not all county residents own real estate, and it is not fair that only the property owners are taxed.  However, MOST everyone owns at least one car, including renters (most who have children IN school), be they legal U.S. residents or not and a proposed wheel tax is the fairest way to spread the burden to everyone, not just the people that own homes.

825335538[/snapback]

You hit the nail right on the head. The wheel tax seems to be the most fair way to "spread the wealth" of taxes!

While I might agree that it is the most equitable way to spread the wealth if taxes are needed, the manner in which the county commission implemented the first attempt at a wheel tax was shady and the tax was to go in the general fund for the county to use as they wished. After the petition drive to put the issue on the ballot in November and a 5% property tax increase, the school board starts chirping about their budget. This smells to high heaven........and sycamoreman is right, the school board is paying severance to the last director. If a wheel tax is put in place, the taxpayers should at least know that it's going towards education. The county has said that services would have to be cut without the wheel tax. That was before the property tax increase. Where does that money go and why not look at cutting across the board. What is happening is pure posturing. They cry wolf about education and the school board yells athletics first and everybody jumps up and says 'will you take a check?'. Remember this when these folks come up for election.

How many Cheatham and Harpeth athletes are walking out?? At sycamore almost everyone is. Members of the football team, basketball teams and almost every other sports team, has decieded that when the second period bell rings (the one were uyour supposed to be in class) all the althetes are leaving in suppor of our coaches, we are jsut trying to send them a messagethat we support our coaches. Soem students have even said taht fi they do vote to take away sports that wouldnt be there at all tuesday. Anyway I hope yalls schools decied to do sokethgin like this to, and look forward to seeing all yall monday night at 7 at cchs in support of our coaches. Make signs and stuff in support.

Later

It is a sad, disgusting joke that this cut would even be discussed as a way to make up this debt. These coaching assistants work their tails off for chump change as it is. The amount of time they spend, in addition to the regular school day, is a truly admirable thing. It is extremely disrespectful to these people to view their contribution to the children of Cheatham County as an unnecessary expense. I think we should get Phil Williams from Newschannel 5 to investigate exactly what caused this huge debt, besides paying off a former employee. It's not like our schools in Cheatham County are the most up-to-date technology wise, so where did all this money really go?

I am a proud member of the Sycamore family, and I will be heartbroken if I do not get to see Maurice Polk, Josh Garza, Justin McCain, Jake Vaughn, and the other seniors be recognized for their achievements on Senior Night. This is grossly unfair to all of the athletes, students, coaches, teachers, and the members of all the communities in Cheatham County. If the school board cannot learn how to count (maybe they should have to pass a Gateway Algebra exam before they are able to serve), they should not take it out on something that is so important to hundreds of kids. I feel as if we all should not show up to school on Tuesday if this budget "solution" passes Monday night - strength in numbers!!

I just have to say to the guy from NW TN - don't blame the NEA for this. That is so ridiculous - the NEA didn't tell our school board how to blow our budget. If there are any political reasons for this, I would point out the NCLB act which has been enforced but never fully funded from the current administration.

I noticed every Cheatham Co. team lost tonight. Not giving any excuses or any disrespect to the 3 opponents, but how are these teams supposed to be motivated to play with so many crazy emotions going through their heads? We are talking about teenagers here.

Sycamore, Cheatham & Harpeth, it's time to put aside the rivalries and band together. Just think about this - what will we all do for homecoming this year if there are no football games?

I really don't want to think this has anything to do with the new director - she has a daughter who coaches soccer, and I seriously doubt she would honestly want to remove all athletics from our schools. I have no idea how much she makes.

I think this has more to do with the county commission and/or certain school board members.

I am speaking of ANY county here, including my own. 

IF there are going to be taxes involved, wheel taxes is the fairest way to go.  Not all county residents own real estate, and it is not fair that only the property owners are taxed.  However, MOST everyone owns at least one car, including renters (most who have children IN school), be they legal U.S. residents or not and a proposed wheel tax is the fairest way to spread the burden to everyone, not just the people that own homes.

825335538[/snapback]

Excellent! you hit the nail on the head! The county commisioners in our county are "connected" to large land owners and they won't vote a property tax increase but should not have a problem with a wheel tax. Problem is all the other bleeding heart liberals DO have a problem with a wheel tax. A Catch 22!

Excellent! you hit the nail on the head! The county commisioners in our county are "connected" to large land owners and they won't vote a property tax increase but should not have a problem with a wheel tax. Problem is all the other bleeding heart liberals DO have a problem with a wheel tax. A Catch 22!

825336703[/snapback]

Most liberals I know have no problem with wheel taxes but it may be different in your county. I thought it was conservatives that hated taxes not the other way around?