Cheatham Co. Schools Shut Down Athletics

ctf33

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what I speak of. I am in school to become a teacher and coach. I know doing this, I am never going to have alot of money. I will make plenty of money to provide for myself and my family. Teachers and Coaches alike should never get into this profession because of money, you know it isn't great. Do it for the kids, it is a matter of being selfish. What about the seniors who will never get a chance to play again? Is that fair? No. The coaches will look just as bad as the board if they quit. The coaches can finish out this year for the kids and the summer can be a time to negotiate a deal that meets both sides. Head Coaches will never hire a coach that doesn't know what they are doing. No childs saftey will be put in danger. Let's see if the coaches have the love of the game they preach to the players. I dont agree with the boards decisions but you have to make the best out of the situation.

Here is the rundown...

The board is cutting 3k per school for athletics. The coaches are not going to walk out and leave the kids, that wouldn't be fair. THE SEASON WILL CONTINUE!!! Other K-8 schools have offered to pitch in some money to make sure the coaches are happy!!!!

Wurd going around is that the county commission is pretty ticked off right now, doesn't look like the school board's budget is going to get passed any time soon! LOL!

*ALSO, there was alot business that didn't get talked about tonight. Looks as though the board called this meeting to try and make the coaches shutup more than anything, i'm glad they have the kids in mind. :D

The time to decide on a budget is before the school year starts. What kind of people wait till boys have put in two a days to crush their High School dreams?

I understand the coaches are trying to make a stand, but I'm more than disapointed in them for using the kids as a hostage. Ah just let the team captain call the plays.

Cheatam Co. needs to learn to make sure to elect former football players to school board like we do in Roane Co. :D

If the County Commission approves the budget with the cuts on Thur. night then the coaches will walk out. If the County commission votes to send the budget back to the school board the coaches will continue to coach. Ultimately the coaches will walk out if there are any cuts to coaching supplements.

It really seemed to me that the school board (especially Chairman Stuart) made the $9000 cut just to spite the coaches. Almost a "you can't tell us what to do" move. He laid the blamed for the "media frenzy" at the feet of the high school principals, athletic directors, and coaches. The school board wanted the coaches to just take these cuts and roll over just like they did 4 years ago. He also said that no coach could ever "shut down a program in Cheatham County". He also said that that he would hire someone to fill a position if someone quit. In the end we will just have to see what happens Thur. night. It is possible that the county commission can completely take over the budget making process from the school board and establish a budget line item by line item for the school years. There is alot of bad blood in Cheatham CO. right now.

Even the coaches stay on expect there to be alot of problems getting to a from the games because many bus drivers will be quitting due to cuts in transportation.

I just read on tennessean.com that the walkout is expected today. The county commission is also vetoing any budget sent to them without athletics funding. The students may also hold a walkout today to show the support of the coaches. And all because of a bunch of crooked school board members. This Stuart guy sounds like an A+ "rear end."

Gerry, I understand your point. And if you keep that same attitude you will be an excellent coach one day. However, I wish that is all there was to it. Sometimes you've got to take a stand. Don't blame the coaches in this situation. I'm sure none of them slept last night and hurt worse than anyone else involved with this whole mess. But if they don't stand up now, then they will continue to just be walked over time and time again by the idiots in charge.

Let us hope that something happens soon so these boys can all play Friday night!